Hoping for the best with a $300 1976 GL1000

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: Hoping for the best with a $300 1976 GL1000

Post by rcmatt007 »

to get all the grease out of the fins on the underside... I took paper towels pieces, stuffed them in and then soaked them in lacquer thinner
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

I'm enjoying this, nice work.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

Well, thank you, but I would enjoy it a lot more if i had more time to work on it. Had some unexpected guests,had to be a dad for an ending abusive relationship and its aftermath, and now Mrs raider is going under the knife and I had a biopsy sent in just today.Also helping a deserving veteran get his rental house in order as an unexpected project. But that is life and all of it is to be lived on the best terms possible.

I need to read Mike Nixon's book as I just do better reading than a video. Have to order it first [to do list]
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

raiddrten wrote:Well, thank you, but I would enjoy it a lot more if i had more time to work on it. Had some unexpected guests,had to be a dad for an ending abusive relationship and its aftermath, and now Mrs raider is going under the knife and I had a biopsy sent in just today.Also helping a deserving veteran get his rental house in order as an unexpected project. But that is life and all of it is to be lived on the best terms possible.

I need to read Mike Nixon's book as I just do better reading than a video. Have to order it first [to do list]
I'm sorry to hear some of that, I wish you and your wife all the best.

Thank you for helping the veteran.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

Well,a lot has happened in the last six months. everyone has recovered their health but age takes its toll as we go along. I have never had a year like this one for things breaking. Currently my big 3500 series truck is down but hoping that it is just a Diesel lift pump. I have been very busy at work as a friend bought a 25 year old split level and I went through it fixing many little drywall issues not done properly at construction. I am now an expert more or less on fixing metal drywall bead that is cracking loose due to not enough nails. New paint two coats and new engineered hardwood over the entire house. Much more to go with new kitchen cabinets and changes to the soffits above the cabinets. So the Gl1000 sits but at least i will have money to fix it.

I crashed the CB 750 200yards from the house. I live on a state road and Ohio must be spending so much on clean needles and associated health costs keeping addicts alive that all they can afford is chip and seal. When i turned to a side road that was paved all that loose gravel scattered on the side road dumped me off the bike. Laying hardwood floor on bloody roadrash knees is just so much fun.I should have had stitches because one cut took a month to close. That and a huge purple bruise as in 24"x10" where the bike landed on top of me.

I read the thread over again and I can see that I need to listen more closely to advice offered by you guys. I really lucked out and a 1984 Aspencade found me when I was not even looking. A super bargain at $1250.00 when all the others I have seen were twice that price. The bike looks almost new and runs amazing. So now I have a big bike for road trips and a better degree of dependability.

I still want to make progress on the '76 though.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

our previous house had all the corner rounds (not square) and none of them were nailed, only held by mud.... well ten years in I had to fix nearly all of them :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS