Hoping for the best with a $300 1976 GL1000

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Hoping for the best with a $300 1976 GL1000

Post by Shadowjack »

Many people have a failed project in their garage once they find out all the parts to repair their "good deal" properly will cost 5 times as much as the bike.
These are toys, and the cost reflects that fact. The only people who come out well when working on vehicles like these are the ones who get an hourly wage.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Most "hobbies" are expensive, in one way or another. If you look at it as business , you consider every penny, and every hour. I have more in my ignition system, then the cost of the bike originally. I don't care. It is my hobby,...maybe even my life,....but not my job
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Agree with Cyborg, ericheath, Shadowjack, Jamespal about the cost of owning an older vintage bike regardless of make. To do it the least expensive way you have to be very disciplined. You have to decide if it is your ride or you are not keeping it. Considering you can get a good used bike in the 2007 range that will do most of what a GW will do, and for the same cost as that of bringing an older bike back to life, not realistic.

Now the good news. Once the bike is mechanically sound, most owners will continue to upgrade their bikes as the years go by, and as long as the engine does not burn oil, starts every time, and does what you want it to do, it will serve you well. Any used bike will require maintenance/work no matter what you are told. Even dealers won't do any additional work if it does not have to. Getting maintenance/work records helps but these can be elusive as well. Aren't too many other bikes out there that can be customized to suit the owner like an older GW.

I have read threads where the fellow puts a cap on how much he would spend to buy and get the bike to a roadworthy state, after which he rides it until he feels he has gotten his moneys worth and then maybe sell it. Most of the time it was mentioned that it was successful doing it this way.

If this is your first go at bringing a GW back to life, it will probably be more expensive than expected; however, it gets easier and costs less as you do more - if you choose to.

I bought an '85 Limited Edition for a variety of reasons, and have kept track of the costs - not for the faint of heart - can you say new bike. My intention was and is to keep it, ride and tour. It is now what I expect it to be and it will be with me for a long time. The more years I keep it the better the amortized cost. I also bought a second one that is to be my second when the first is down for maintenance or work. The costs to bring this second bike back to life is considerably less, way less than the first because I know what is needed, and what is nice to have. Not saying that the second bike won't get extra work, but over a much longer time period. Since this is my retirement hobby, may get a third to keep these venerable old GWs on the road - has to be a fuel injected model, personal preference. Have an 1800 that is going to be sold - it's not as much fun nor as easy to work on.

Don't be afraid of the costs, be discerning and do what is necessary to make it safe and roadworthy, then ride and enjoy. Maybe you will keep it, maybe not.

Considering that people are getting in excess of 200K miles on these old girls is a testament to the longevity of these bikes.

Thought I'd express MHO. Just a few thoughts.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

It seems some of the low prices are a result of a. lost interest, b. unaware of the value, c. Pass the bike on to one that cares. Judging from this site alone, most appear to see the old Gold Wings as a labor of love, and are into it to 'play for keeps'. The history of the machine speaks for itself. Love for the machine itself should be the driving force, willing to find the time, and remain patient with the cost. (Just my take).
type1 https://www.facebook.com/One.Ton.Ron action1
1984 KZ1000 P dresser, SOLD. anim-cheers1
"Imagination is a prerequisite for knowledge.
The artifact is needed to comprehend." :arrow: Sundance. :flamer :flamer
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Sundance wrote:It seems some of the low prices are a result of a. lost interest, b. unaware of the value, c. Pass the bike on to one that cares. Judging from this site alone, most appear to see the old Gold Wings as a labor of love, and are into it to 'play for keeps'. The history of the machine speaks for itself. Love for the machine itself should be the driving force, willing to find the time, and remain patient with the cost. (Just my take).
I agree
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Last season I bought a fancy 'new' 2001 ST1100 .... a bike I'd always liked the looks of .... rode it 8000 miles .... then went out and bought an ‘82 GL1100 .... anyone want a nice ST1100 ??

Gord (just a better fit) Jones anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I always figure I spend less money working on an old bike in the garage than I would if I went to the bar
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

rcmatt007 wrote:I always figure I spend less money working on an old bike in the garage than I would if I went to the bar
Nope ....

Gord (done both)Jones anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

RAT wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:I always figure I spend less money working on an old bike in the garage than I would if I went to the bar
Nope ....

Gord (done both)Jones anim-cheers1
Gord, that's because at the bar, you just drink, in the garage, you drink AND wrench! lolol lolol lolol
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

Lots of good thoughtful posts here about costs and value. Really about all I can say to that is I make an effort to verify what I can before ordering a bunch of parts. With the stuff i have already had delivered, the bike will have a rebuilt water pump, all new seals and O-rings behind the transmission covers, new gaskets and rubber flanges under the mounting bolts on the valve covers. Then , with an engine that no longer leaks oil, its on to the next steps --adjust the valves and see if the compression numbers become more similar. Better get the belts as well

The broken off bolt is 99% gone. One more night in the battery acid should easily have it ready to use a tap to clean out the threads. The centering jig worked well, with the hole just a few thousandths off as we drilled it out closer and closer to the threads.
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

get compression evened out--we'll see about those valves

Post by raiddrten »

It can be a little tough deciding which step is the next one because of needing one little thing or another, so we are gonna see about compression. I read the tutorial on valve adjustment by Roady and came to a much better understanding of how it all comes together.

The job for today is to take a compression test and see the numbers before and after on each cylinder. I already know that some of the clearances are not as they should be. Will post back with results.
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

results of valve adjustment

Post by raiddrten »

Here are the numbers

Left side Front intake .002 exhaust .0025 135 PSI After adjustment 150 psi

Left side Rear intake .0015 Exhaust .003 135 PSI After adjustment 150 psi

Right side Front intake .004 Exhaust.004 150 PSI After adjustment 150 PS

Right Side Rear intake .0025 exhaust .003 140 PSI After adjustment 150 PSI

Note ; There is some deposits on the valves and the front right valve probably had a bit of dirt in the chamber that resulted in 120 PSI. I sprayed a bit of W-D 40 in the bare intake [no carbs installed] and got it to 135 PSI. So on all the other compression tests, we took readings before and after spraying each intake. here was no difference in compression results wet with WD-40 or dry. As for what i think of these results--- :guitar dancr :crosso
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

looks good
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Can't complain about those numbers, me thinks...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

I bought a kit to restore the water pump after seeing one in ShopTalk, but unlike the one shown, i got mine in without cracking the impeller. The ShopTalk article stopped the project when the impeller broke, so here is how I did mine
The first steps of assembly are the two bearings with the spacer in between. The photos show re-use of the spacer. Then use a drill bit to guide the spacer so the second bearing captures the centered spacer as the bearing is pressed home. Just keep in mind when you need to apply force to the outside of the bearing to seat it in the race and when to support the inner part of the bearing when seating the impeller so as to not stress the bearings. Then the seal with ceramic face is inserted in the pump body. Next the seal with ceramic face is inserted against the impeller.

There was some difficulty holding things together to tap the impeller shaft home, so i used a guide socket in the vice to stabilize the emerging impeller shaft and support the center of the bearings as I used a punch to tap on the steel center shaft without hitting the impeller itself. When the groove for the snap ring emerges, then you are done with the water pump. Then , using some long 6MM bolts from my stash helped to line up the pump with the mounting holes. I think this kit is high quality as it is sourced from Germany.
I got the seal kit for the transmission gasket, O-rings and oil seal and that will go in upon assembly

My pictures do not show action shots of doing the actual bearing pressing, but the Wingovations page shows how to do that
Attachments
final clean 004.JPG
final clean 004.JPG (112.76 KiB) Viewed 364 times
final clean 007.JPG
final clean 007.JPG (127.54 KiB) Viewed 364 times
final clean 009.JPG
final clean 009.JPG (110.23 KiB) Viewed 364 times
final clean 011.JPG
final clean 011.JPG (113.55 KiB) Viewed 364 times
final clean 012.JPG
final clean 012.JPG (131.71 KiB) Viewed 364 times