The Adventures of Athena of Left Coast

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The Adventures of Athena of Left Coast

Post by low-side »

If you haven't already, I'd check for vacuum leaks when it's good and hot.
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

low-side wrote:If you haven't already, I'd check for vacuum leaks when it's good and hot.
No leaks. Hoses are fresh, as the engine was just put in.

SIDEBAR: I heard you talked with my mechanic. Hope you two coordinated stuff with the wheel. :)
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

I didn't say it "wasn't" the carbs. It just isn't likely to be a sync issue. Yes it could be the gas. Info we didn't have before. It could also be the slides sticking/hanging. It could be the ignition advancer sticking.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

robin1731 wrote:I didn't say it "wasn't" the carbs. It just isn't likely to be a sync issue. Yes it could be the gas. Info we didn't have before. It could also be the slides sticking/hanging. It could be the ignition advancer sticking.

I took her out for a ride yesterday; stuck her up on the centerstand and proceeded to adjust the carbs by throttle response and sound. And now its running a lot better.

So I think what I'll do is double check the timing, readjust the carbs and check and/or R&R the plugs and I should be golden!

This bike is quick. I mean, its no GSX-1300R, but for a 40 year old bike, I'll take it!
-x01660

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

Life? Well life is good. Real good. anim-cheers1
20180928_143801.jpg
20180928_143801.jpg (98.23 KiB) Viewed 333 times
20180928_151727.jpg
20180928_151727.jpg (88.03 KiB) Viewed 333 times
-x01660

x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

20180929_172135.jpg
20180929_172135.jpg (86.85 KiB) Viewed 317 times
-x01660

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Dude, you really gotta put those bags on the other way. (They're backwards, I think). Messes with the aesthetics. 'course that's just my opinion.

Nice country rides, though.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

desertrefugee wrote:Dude, you really gotta put those bags on the other way. (They're backwards, I think). Messes with the aesthetics. 'course that's just my opinion.

Nice country rides, though.
I'm waiting on a member on the forum to get me some Vetters. I want some hard bags to be properly mounted. In the mean time?
3.jpg
3.jpg (51.68 KiB) Viewed 314 times
:-D
-x01660

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Ack. Some things you just can't unsee.

Not a hater at all. Just a little too apt to speak my mind, I guess. Sorry. I think I cracked on those bags once before. I won't mention that they don't look right again...

Still, it's good to see you out and about again. Got a nice run out to Tortilla Flat yesterday myself.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

desertrefugee wrote:Ack. Some things you just can't unsee.

Not a hater at all. Just a little too apt to speak my mind, I guess. Sorry. I think I cracked on those bags once before. I won't mention that they don't look right again...

Still, it's good to see you out and about again. Got a nice run out to Tortilla Flat yesterday myself.
HA! I was just messin', lol. They're on backwards because when I put them on the right way, they sit too far forward. A consequence of not having hardware. And I like to have tools and other stuff on me, so...

;)

Also, once I get her dialed in, I wanna take a trip to the Big Ditch; I've never been there before. How far are you from there?
-x01660

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

...just about 4'ish hours. But, an nice ride. Went last Fall I don't think I told that story here, but if you're interested, it was recorded here:

https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/ ... lit=canyon
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

Hmmm.... Maybe... just MAYBE... we could coordinate... ;)

When's the best time of year to go out there? I hear it snows in the winter.
-x01660

x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

Plastidip Day!!!
20180930_135456_001.jpg
20180930_135456_001.jpg (85.93 KiB) Viewed 285 times
-x01660

x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

I think the Plastidip did a good job! Exactly what I was after. :)
Attachments
20180930_180745_001.jpg
20180930_180745_001.jpg (116.95 KiB) Viewed 276 times
-x01660

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

x01660 wrote:Hmmm.... Maybe... just MAYBE... we could coordinate... ;)

When's the best time of year to go out there? I hear it snows in the winter.
From about now through mid-May it's really starting to get pretty cool for bike trips to the canyon. Winter is quite cold. 7000 ft at the South Rim. Best time to beat the crowds and have good weather is September/October. Unless you go to the North Rim. Not really "crowded" any time. But even colder at 8000 ft. I did Astronomy Outreach at the North Rim for years.