75' GL1000 - Project Spanish Fork

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Daleo56
Lead Member
Lead Member

75' GL1000 - Project Spanish Fork

Post by Daleo56 »

I just bought my first 1975 Honda GL1000 from Spanish Fork, Utah on Ebay for $1,800. $777 later for shipping, tax and registration she is mine! I was sent with the original carbs in a box and some prototype carb setup installed. The bike ran ok with the car setup on but I want stock. I put the original carbs back on, and she runs "ok", but am getting a massive amount of gas exiting the left exhaust about 15 seconds after starting it. Since I did not have the fuel leak before I removed the hybrid carb I can only assume I have some sort of issue with the left side carbs.

Reading a few posts on this site it sounds like it may be a stuck float. I guess will have to pull the assembly back out and check the floats. Any advice for a new GL1000 owner would be appreciated as I walk the path.

Yes, I plan on doing a timing belt change right after I fix the gas leak :-D

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: 75' GL1000 - Project Spanish Fork

Post by robin1731 »

Do the carbs the right way. If you want to/can do them yourself get Randakk's rebuild kit and the video to go with it. Well worth the money. Or send them to one of his recommended rebuilders if you want to go that route.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

What brand single carb is that?
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
Daleo56
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Daleo56 »

robin1731 wrote:Do the carbs the right way. If you want to/can do them yourself get Randakk's rebuild kit and the video to go with it. Well worth the money. Or send them to one of his recommended rebuilders if you want to go that route.
I will order the kit today.
BikeMaine wrote:What brand single carb is that?
The carb is off a VW. The guy I bought it from said it was a prototype manifold he was having made.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Daleo56 wrote:
The carb is off a VW. The guy I bought it from said it was a prototype manifold he was having made.
I like it.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
Daleo56
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Daleo56 »

BikeMaine wrote:
Daleo56 wrote:
I like it.
I guess the fastest way to stop the carb leak would be to put it back on! :-D

The unit has an electric choke and a nice carb. The plenum is just a rectangle box with a triangle welded inside it to deflect the mixture between the cylinders. The air filter sticks up very high into the tank and make that space unusable.