Martian...Dang I miss Rosie...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Martiangod
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Mars Rover

Post by Martiangod »

hatchward wrote:Hey Martian, a visual inspection of timing belts condition isn't good enough. If you don't know the age and mileage on them you had better replace them.Just trying to save you some grief.Bikes looking good.
Took yours and Robins advice and ordered the belts today, should be here tomorrow
Under the knife again
1983 1100 Eh!!!
$300 and climbing
Lots and lots of Red....
Old man, first bike, first build
Martiangod
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Martian Madness....Vulcanizing

Post by Martiangod »

Well time has past of sitting parts in place to take pictures.
If your Vulcanizing, try to make sure you have the skeletin for the back fender.
as you can see the frame tails on the GW or at a totally different angle then what the Vulc is, going to be lots of cutting, grinding to make this work. ive got it tacked in place now, need to decide between making bolt tabs so it removable for service, or bridging the GWs tails to replicate the Vulcs...Figure that out this weekend, cut about 6 inches off the fender so far, think i have it sitting where i wantà

if you attempt this, make sure you get the under skeletin for the fender. ùit will make your life much easier

Have the fender sitting down to the tire now, fender is good and deep so clearance is all good, i may ditch the air ride on the back and go to shorter shocks so i tuck the tire a bit more, would love to tuck to the whitewall, but dont think im gonna make it

fender positioning has been the easiest part, trying to make the Vulcan seat work is being a bear, had to pull a few staples and cut some seat pan, as the GWs frame is much wider, have the seat sitting down not bad now, but the tank to seat gap is brutal. Vulc has a much more laid back seating position the the GWs frame will allow without Major frame mods. Something im not ready, or skilled enuff to do.

Im pretty sure i can make it work, but may ditch the vulcan seat and go for a solo....Hmmmm, time will tell
Pretty sure theres going to be some fiberglass work needed on the back of the false tank
Attachments
20171003_153944.jpg
20171003_153944.jpg (139.41 KiB) Viewed 383 times
Last edited by Martiangod on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Under the knife again
1983 1100 Eh!!!
$300 and climbing
Lots and lots of Red....
Martiangod
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Martian Madness....Vulcanizing

Post by Martiangod »

Didnt get much done this week, got back at it last night, painted the tank, was all going good untill the run started, dropped it and went home.
Got up and headed into the shop early this morning to see the mess i made, to bad, shining like a sun, but horrible run on left side, Didn't feel like wet sanding so i got to work on the fender.
That went much better then the the painting, Got the fender bolted in, then started on the wiring, all soldered and shrink wrapped, tails, brakes and rear turns now finished I'm liking the look so far, but not sure if i'm in love with the Vulcan seat or not. Love the look, but is so wide, just adds to my reaching the ground problem.
Tried a Sportster seat yesterday, Not bad, a little skinny but I could flat foot it.
Maybey a sportster solo seat may be the way to go

Still to go, front fender....or not
Front turn running
Timing belts Oil change and all that good stuff
Attachments
20171003_153951.jpg
20171003_153951.jpg (128.09 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Last edited by Martiangod on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
Under the knife again
1983 1100 Eh!!!
$300 and climbing
Lots and lots of Red....
Martiangod
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Martian Madness....Back to Ratt

Post by Martiangod »

Went in to wet sand the run out of the paint.....and well the whole bike changed....lol
this thing is like silly putty.
Ratty was my original thought and the more i looked at the shiney red i knew it wasnt right.
So distressed look just sort of happened
After many hours of wet sanding i worked my way through 280 gritt, to 400 grit, to 800 gritt and finished with 1000.
Then sanded the fender and shot it with Matt Clear coat.
And seeing as i was so bored while doing this i skinned the seat and cut it in half, then shaved an inch of foam out of it, re skinned it, and set in place, then had to cut more out of back fender and remove the front seat mod i had done for the vulcan seat.
Sometime if when rich and famous, I will get it recovered professionally....or not

Must say, after a long day, i feel better about where its going
Attachments
20171008_164611.jpg
20171008_164611.jpg (103.61 KiB) Viewed 361 times
20171008_164622.jpg
20171008_164622.jpg (119.07 KiB) Viewed 361 times
20171008_164634.jpg
20171008_164634.jpg (169.75 KiB) Viewed 361 times
Last edited by Martiangod on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Under the knife again
1983 1100 Eh!!!
$300 and climbing
Lots and lots of Red....
wog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wog »

I like your work. anim-cheers1 The Vulcan seat looks good. Maybe trim the back of the false tank flange and find a way to pull the front of the seat pan down.
Great to keep these old 'Wings flying on down the road.
Martiangod
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Martiangod »

took your advice and cut the flange off back of tank, looks much better with either seat.
Got front signals mounted and wired, put crash bars back on, painted them with box liner, will probably peel, but easy to touch up. painted headers with black high heat rust treatment.
changed oil, new fuel filter, replaced the fuel lines. scoped gas tank, not bad, inside of valve and pick up lines still shiney and pick up screen looks clean
Still cant decide on which way to go with seat
Vulcan seat looks cooler
Cut down aspencade seat is way comphy.....ohhhh decisions
remaining issue, long list, but the in the right now issue list, cant get horns to work, they work on bench, so wiring or button switch.
next on the list changing brake fluid with new DOT 3
Attachments
20171008_164648.jpg
20171008_164648.jpg (162.6 KiB) Viewed 360 times
20171008_164657.jpg
20171008_164657.jpg (140.6 KiB) Viewed 360 times
20171009_160345.jpg
20171009_160345.jpg (140.37 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Last edited by Martiangod on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Under the knife again
1983 1100 Eh!!!
$300 and climbing
Lots and lots of Red....
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

good looking bike!
what headlight bucket is that?
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

fish wrote:good looking bike!
what headlight bucket is that?
Fish...Buddy...he posted about it around mile marker #8 in his thread. :-D It is a lovely kitchen pot. Good use of those things!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Martiangod
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Martiangod »

Well one problemo taking all the bags and trunk off was how to bring home refreshments.
So heres my solution to the age old problem
The flying refreshment rack
With deciding on the solo seat setup for the retro ratty look, it left this raised part on the fender where the vulcan seat locked in, bracing in the fender underframe with nuts, so it gives me the perfect strong mounting point. was going to close off the pipe ends but welded nuts inside the ends, that way as my mind strays to the other place, i can make bolt on attachments, toolbox, wine bottle holder, machine gun mount, the possibilities are endless dancr
Attachments
20171012_194750.jpg
20171012_194750.jpg (144.71 KiB) Viewed 359 times
20171012_194759.jpg
20171012_194759.jpg (112.85 KiB) Viewed 359 times
20171013_191917.jpg
20171013_191917.jpg (95.26 KiB) Viewed 359 times
Last edited by Martiangod on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Under the knife again
1983 1100 Eh!!!
$300 and climbing
Lots and lots of Red....
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Martian Madness....Beer run !!!

Post by Rat »

Nice work .... not nearly enough 'rats' aroung here ....

Gord (beer rack is a critical component) Jones anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Martiangod
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Martian Madness....High carb diet !!!

Post by Martiangod »

Well productive day yesterday
Did the timing belts, ones that came off were honda belts, original ????
Who knows but thats done now, then i tackled the fun job of carbs what a pita to get out, got half way using the method in repair manual and they got stuck, so tight i had to gently back up with rubber mallet. they were getting wedged against cross bar for the baffle behind rad. so took out baffle and cross bar and out they came. then the fun of tear down and running them through the ultrasonic cleaner with dishsoap as the medium. well after lots of high speed soft wire wheel on the bodies and some Mothers billet polish and the power ball, re assembled and back in the bike, glad i did it, lots of rust and varnish in the float bowls, all shiney and hopefully clean enuff, while parts were cleaning gave the block and coat of black and the tailpipe are gone, they just magically fell off, was trying to pull baffles, left side went good, right side the tailpipe just crumbled in a rusty mess on the floor .......wow, the thing started right up

Would like to get a run on it, some carbon on the intake valves......but thats another day
cold compression was at 130 lbs with a differential of 4 pounds across the 4
have to get her hot and do a hot compression test

Under the knife again
1983 1100 Eh!!!
$300 and climbing
Lots and lots of Red....
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

I know sound through video isn't always great but those carbs sound like they need to be synced/dialed in.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Martiangod
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Martiangod »

Pretty sure your right. Thats after re assembly. Need to get gauges. Really want to run couple tanks through it first. And do valve lash first. Long way till spring and lots to do

Last edited by Martiangod on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Under the knife again
1983 1100 Eh!!!
$300 and climbing
Lots and lots of Red....
Martiangod
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Martian Madness....Valve lash !!!

Post by Martiangod »

to ensure boredom dosn't kick in front wheel was pulled to check bearings and some paint fell on the wheel, now have to do the back...

Did valve lash last night, no lash on 2 or 4, i guess that explains why some carbon build up on the intake valves on 2 and 4, and 1 and 3 where a tad loose, so .oo4 on intakes and .005 on exhaust, boy, what a difference, will idle at 940 rpm now, couldnt idle under 1050 before.
i let machine run until hot, locking cruise at several dif rpm, after a good heat up, shut down and pulled plugs, cyl 3 a beautiful tan, 1 was a little rich 2 was a little rich and 4 was really rich.did some manual adjust to sync screws, re ran and it much better now, I guess i have to build some gauges so i can balance this thing, strange though, sync screw on #1 was loose.
one question, i get zero adjustment from idle screw.....does that mean i need a cable adjustment or something else, help would be appreciated on this....total newb to all this
So far the build including bike is at a shocking grande total of $ 460 dollars Canadian, thats like $2 American with exchange, after purchasing timing belts, this includes bike, sandpaper, paint, oil change to synth, all the vulcan parts. By spring when i buy new tires, front is weather checked, hopeing to keep entire build under $1000
Under the knife again
1983 1100 Eh!!!
$300 and climbing
Lots and lots of Red....
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Martian Madness....Valve lash !!!

Post by gltriker »

Found #1 synch adjuster screw's locking nut was loose? Pilot fuel adjusting screw has no effect?
Get those vacuum gauges.
Dynamically, Idle Synchronize all 4 carburetors. tumb2
You might be surprised how a small synchronizing linkage adjustment will make a big difference.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.