My adventure begins

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Wiscokid
Brass Member
Brass Member

My adventure begins

Post by Wiscokid »

Ok, it's been a while and I have been working a little and seem to be buying a lot. I started with installing a tire changer and bought a pair of Shinko's. I had struggled with getting these old tires off and read about mojo blocks so I ordered those. Meanwhile I took off the Muffler and Headers which revealed holes in both. So I had a friend weld up the headers and I painted the replacement muffler as planned. I'm planning on restoring the sulfur yellow to stock. After working on it and reading posts here I realized I needed more parts than just headers to be correct to the year and the cost of these items are outrageous on eBay so I sold some of what I didn't need. Then being proactive, I decided to place a wanted add on Craigslist for a parts bike. To my surprise I have had a number of responses.

The one I popped on was another Sulfer Yellow one owner who had recently passed away. His son sent me this pic and said his father put it in the garage after his uncle was riding one day and found some gravel and went into the ditch (he managed to ride it home). Up to then he had put 40,000 miles on it, 10 years ago, and intended on fixing the broken Handlebars and controls but was discouraged with all the mechanicals so he just kept purchasing parts to repair but never did it. I ended up buying it for $500 which included an original nice seat plus a hang two, two complete sets of exhausts three boxes of parts and KG Luggage Set. The engine turns freely but I'm taking a little gamble, now thinking instead of being a parts bike I can get them both on the road again. I know crazy right? That's what my family is saying. I plan on riding the first one this month yet and the second bike for a winter project as it needs to be repainted as you can see by the photo.

Anyway with 3 wings and boxes of parts purchased in two months, I've got my work cut out for me and hopefully can put away the check book at least for now. I remember hearing somewhere, maybe a government contractor, "why not build two if your going to do one?" My manufacturing mind set comes to the front. So here we go... belts, brakes, exhaust, carbs and tires x 2 !
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0177.JPG (158.82 KiB) Viewed 534 times
IMG_4975.JPG
IMG_4975.JPG (179.3 KiB) Viewed 534 times
IMG_4977.JPG
IMG_4977.JPG (230.32 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Attachments
IMG_4976.JPG
IMG_4976.JPG (302.3 KiB) Viewed 534 times
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG (300.13 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Last edited by Wiscokid on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in.
~ Leonard Cohen

All things that end bad do, otherwise they wouldn't end.

1976 GL1000 Yellow Running!
1976 GL1000 Yellow Project Bike
1982 CB900c Daily Driver
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: My adventure begins

Post by robin1731 »

:orange :crosso dancr
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Steevensi
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Steevensi »

Good luck!
The Black Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=59312

1982 GL 1100
1980 GL 1100 to be fix
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 sold
1982 Honda CB 750 K under construction
1980 Suzuki A100
1974 Suzuki TS 250 sold
1992 Yamaha RT 180 sold
1976 Honda CB125 sold
2002 Suzuki Katana 750 sold
1983 Suzuki GS770 rusting in a shed
1982 Suzuki GS750 in boxes
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

and I am still jealous.... TWO yellow OEM
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

MBS strikes again, lol!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Wiscokid
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wiscokid »

Yesterday was a milestone for my project as I test drove my 76 GL1000 for the first time since I purchased it in July. I am more than impressed with the quiet sound and quick acceleration and comfort. The engine sounds great and all the help I received from the tech forums and the content of this site has been great. A shout out to my friend Albert who has the bike of the month, with the carb cleaning it did the job. The last time the bike ran was 10 years ago and have spent some time getting to this point but it's been well worth it. I look forward to some great rides ahead.

I have a laundry list of things to do in effort to bring her back to original naked look but I have an issue that needs to be resolved first. I was hoping to get some help here. I remember talking to the PO and he said that a problem the bike had is it would kill intermittently. Now that I've drove to town and filled up the tank I'm having the same issue only when it's parked idling. The display lights flash and the engine shuts off and I watch it just flicker. After turning the key off for a while and restart it it is fine again but there is definitely something electrical that I need to figure out. I bought it with a fearing and bags so the headlight bucket is just a mess of wires. It has two keys one for the ingition and one for the tank so it appears the ignition was changed out.

I'm not an electrical guy and don't even own a meter so I'm hoping this could be an easy fix. If anyone reading this could point me in the right direction it would be great. It has a new battery and the connections are good.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG (186.26 KiB) Viewed 466 times
Brad

~ Leonard Cohen

1982 CB900c Daily Driver
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

MBS (multiple bike syndrome) is contagious but it seems Sulphur Yellow MBS is downright addictive! Nice start.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Wiscokid
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wiscokid »

Easter wrote:MBS (multiple bike syndrome) is contagious but it seems Sulphur Yellow MBS is downright addictive! Nice start.
Ha! I really have good intentions but see people look at me a little sideways now. Your right it really is a thing though.
Brad

~ Leonard Cohen

1982 CB900c Daily Driver
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Good luck on your project.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

A couple of things you might check in regards to the 'dying' issue...
1. The main fuse, often referred to as the 'dog bone' fuse, is located on the starter solenoid, and is known to cause intermittent power failures when it's going bad. There is a simple upgrade to fix this issue which can be found in ShopTalk.
2. The ignition switch, and/or its connectors. The plastic 'base' of the ignition switch can become loose from the switch itself.
3. If you have an electronic ignition, check the electrical connections, and especially the ground.
4. Check the main grounds for the wiring harness and battery cable.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

it is absolutely amazing how many connections look connected and corrosion and grime impede their job. Always a good idea to clean them all
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Wiscokid
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wiscokid »

Track T 2411 wrote:A couple of things you might check in regards to the 'dying' issue...
1. The main fuse, often referred to as the 'dog bone' fuse, is located on the starter solenoid, and is known to cause intermittent power failures when it's going bad. There is a simple upgrade to fix this issue which can be found in ShopTalk.
2. The ignition switch, and/or its connectors. The plastic 'base' of the ignition switch can become loose from the switch itself.
3. If you have an electronic ignition, check the electrical connections, and especially the ground.
4. Check the main grounds for the wiring harness and battery cable.
I might have gotten lucky and found the source thanks to your help. After riding this afternoon it stalled a couple times again so I read about this dog bone fuse and thought to first locate it. When I found it of course I've got to touch it... and sparks! It appears like the fuse was replaced with another type with these metal tabs and one must be shorting out on the wires going to the starter relay. The attached pic has an arrow to the spot.

I will ride it tomorrow after I tape it up and see if that was the culprit or not. Thanks Track!
Attachments
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG (124.78 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Brad

~ Leonard Cohen

1982 CB900c Daily Driver
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Rewire that puppy completely. The blue ring terminal is ready to break in two. Maybe half of the strands are still connected. All of the connections are now suspect in my mind.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

The pic is of a relay/circuit breaker. When they get too hot they act like a fuse. But after some time to cool down they operate normally again. The wires/connections do need some attention. And that could be the problem. But if not then something is causing the relay to "open". So that then needs to be addressed.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
twowings
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by twowings »

That's a Cole Hersee relay holder with a friction held circuit breaker. We use them by the dozen. All the connections there are shoddy looking.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Addicted to Honda's

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”