My RatBagger build, a different take on the naked Wing

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

My RatBagger build, a different take on the naked Wing

Post by Wtf_0ver »

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster.

This is actually a completed build now but I wanted to share the process I went through from start to finish. I usually hang out at ChopCult.com but I figured since I use this place for tech quite often that it was my turn to contribute. Some of the text will be a copy/paste from my build thread over there.

Hope you guys like the finished product.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Picked this up from a guy for $500. I usually build hardtail choppers, mostly Harleys and Yamahas but I wanted to build a comfy bike for long distance riding and general hauling my butt and my stuff around town. I wanted a bagger without it being a stereotypical bagger.

The guy I bought it from gave up on a half-ways aborted cafe build. It wasn't running when I picked it up because the guy said the starter had seized so I bought it without even knowing if it actually ran.

Here's how it looked at the start. It was a khaki/black color that the guy had painted with a brush. From a distance it actually looks semi-decent until you get up close and realize how horrible of a paint job it was. Yikes.

Last edited by Wtf_0ver on Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: My RatBagger build, taking the word naked to the extreme

Post by Wtf_0ver »

So once I finally got the bike home and got a new starter installed I managed to get it fired up.

This was my first liquid cooled bike ever so I didn't even realize or think about the possibility of a blown head gasket. Well, the moment I got it started and it ran for awhile that's what I knew I was dealing with.

So up on the lift it went. At this point in the build I didn't know what direction I really wanted to take it, I thought about finishing the cafe build properly but ultimately decided on building a bagger of sorts.

First things first the motor is going to need some attention so that's where I started.

Anybody want a milkshake??
Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wtf_0ver »

This was shaping up to be my new favorite bike once I realized how easy everything was to work on. Minus having to pull the radiator and fan to get to everything I was amazed by how simple everything was. I tore into the heads and cleaned them up. Even though only one side had a blown gasket I figured while I was in there I'd service everything. New head gaskets, new valve seals, freshened up the heads, new timing belts, etc.

Found the offender

Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wtf_0ver »

Up to this point I have:
- removed the stock air shocks and replaced them with Honda Rebel springs lowering the rearend by several inches
- added a used set of GL hardbags I bought off of Ebay
- stock battery box has been cut out, battery moved to saddlebag and is awaiting bike rewiring
- stock bars have gone bye bye, 12" Apes from TC Bros. taking their place
- wiring harness completely removed and ready to be chopped down
- I added a set of floorboards from EBay but found out they were horribly bent which sucked

Now on to the point of no return, chopping the massive backbone setup. I got out my angle grinder and cutting wheel and got to work. I quickly realized grinders with cutoff wheels aren't good and pulled out the sawzall. With the right blade this thing cut through everything like butter, I should have used it from the start and saved some time. Anyways I got it down to this.

I then cut down and notched some 1.5" .120 wall DOM for the backbone and cross brace. Considering the backbone on this bike isn't 100% structural like other stock single backbone bikes my choice in tubing might have been a tad overkill.

Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wtf_0ver »

I temporarily mocked this thing up with a bunch of parts I had laying around just to get a feel for what I want it to look like when it's finished. I'm using a leftover Sportster headlight so I wanted to see what it would look like if I added the matching 3/4 fairing.

Only single backbone tank I had on hand was a beat up King sportster tank. With the massive amount of room underneath I think any tanks that sit up high on the backbone are out of the question. Even though the sole purpose of this bike is to be a pavement pounder I don't want the gas tank to look bad. Any recommendations on what I should run?

Next on the plans are to finally sit down with my Goldwing manual and begin chopping this wiring harness. As I said before I've rewired multiple bikes but this is the thing I hate doing the most.

BUTTTTTT thanks to this awesome forum I found a great wiring harness and started by eliminating all of the stuff that I didn't need and all was well. Got rid of the glass fuses for a blade type setup.
Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wtf_0ver »

Ordered a blank Sporty/Dyna style fender and got it cut down and mounted. The hardest part with that was the previous owner chopped off the fender struts so I had nothing to mount it to. Luckily a chopcult member was nice enough to have a chopped up rear section with the strut mounts for me to cut off and weld on to mine.

Rear Fender = DONE

Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wtf_0ver »

Fuel tank wise I decide to go simple.

Picked up a Honda Rebel tank off Ebay that'll work with the new single backbone and actually fits the bike quite nicely looks wise. Unfortunately because of the weird frame on this the petcock will not fit without hitting the side frame piece. Time to pick up a mini 90 degree petcock from Lowbrow.

The tank uses the stock front Goldwing mount. For the rear mount I just had to drill the backbone out and drop in a bung.

Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wtf_0ver »

Got the rear fender trimmed down a bit more and got a seat mounted. I wanted something wide and comfy so I picked up one of those old HD police saddle seat repops.

The Rebel gas tank is finally mounted. The front mount on the tank worked perfectly with the holes already in the Wing up by the neck. For the rear I had to just drop a bung into the single backbone.

However I'm cutting it really close with the amount of room I have leftover for a petcock. I think I have a mini one lying around that is hopefully small enough to fit without banging off of the frame rail.
Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wtf_0ver »

Once I figured the wiring out and got it running it was just a matter of running the wires to the saddlebag in a clean manner. After a lot of shrink wrap and some zip ties later the wiring is done. The battery rests inside of a battery box I bolted to the hard bag. Inside of it is the starter solenoid as well as a blade style fuse panel.

I converted the turn signals in the hard bags to brake lights by swapping out the light internals and painting the lenses red.

Since I scrapped the stock coolant overflow bottle I needed to come up with something else that would work. I was sitting in the garage drinking a beer while thinking this over when the idea came to me. It works perfectly.

Swapped the regular push button starter for a keyed ignition. Works just like a car ignition.

Last edited by Wtf_0ver on Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wtf_0ver »

So after that, the bike was basically done other than a few odds and ends. Here's the finished product! It came out just the way I wanted, a daily rider that I'm not afraid to get dirty. In a sea of Harley baggers it definitely stands out.

I've ridden it for about a year now and really enjoy it. It rips on the highway and everybody loves it at any bike events I go to.

I knew these saddlebags would come in handy.

One bike isn't enough, posted up in the garage with my other rides. '83 Shovelhead FXR on the right!

Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wtf_0ver »

So even though the bike has been complete for about a year now I've still been tinkering with it here and there.

I originally went with ape hangers because the throttle and clutch cables were so long that I didn't want to run shorter bars and have a bunch of cables hanging everywhere. I've been wanting to run shorter window or Z bars and have been looking around for shorter cables. Unfortunately it seems that I may have to get some custom made.

Also, while I love the Honda Rebel shocks and the slammed look it gives the bike, after taking a trip into the mountains of W.Va for a motorcycle event called Big Mountain Run I noticed it doesn't so so well in the twisties and I can drag floorboards pretty easily. They're 10" shocks, I'm looking to swap them out for something that's around 11 or 11.5. I've done a bunch of searching and haven't found many alternatives short of cutting down longer shocks so if anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Oh speaking of that event, at night once the party got started they set up a flaming jump. Here's proof that Goldwings CAN fly. Sorry for the crappy pics they were stills captured from a video someone took.....

As you can see the landing kind of sucked.
Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: My RatBagger build, a different take on the naked Wing

Post by Wtf_0ver »

Sorry Mods, I violated forum rule #1 and failed to read the sticky. Didn't realize there was a different sub-section for builds like this.

Any chance to get it moved? My apologies.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Great thread .... we'll get the location sorted soon enough ....

My only criticism is .... LITE BEER ??? :shock: :IDTS: :shock:

Gord (call it 'training beer' .... passed that course) Jones
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Wtf_0ver
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Wtf_0ver »

RAT wrote:Great thread .... we'll get the location sorted soon enough ....

My only criticism is .... LITE BEER ??? :shock: :IDTS: :shock:

Gord (call it 'training beer' .... passed that course) Jones
Haha I didn't make that purchase, I just gave it a home.
Goboy
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member
My Album: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=60678

Post by Goboy »

Nice work Wt, one page build, but lots of ingenuity (build ideas idee2 )

+1 on the beer Gord :lol:
You're too small to ride a hog Billy!

Mike
1978 GL1000
Previous bikes: 05 Yamaha FJR 1300, 79 Suzuki GS 1000, 75 Yamaha XS 650, 73 Kawasaki S2 350