79 highway machine build

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: 79 highway machine build

Post by desertrefugee »

You might run hotter than would be desired on long, lonely highways without the radiator wings.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
schonc
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by schonc »

Update:

Took the bike out for a good 7 day tour. Roughly 2000km (1250 miles for our American friends).
Started in Calgary AB, took highway 40 out to Banff to meet up with a high school friend working for the RCMP... Lake Louise... Radium hot springs... down into Bonners Ferry where I found a low rear tire.

Tanget 1
The 79 has tube type comstars that I converted to tubeless, my valve stem failed around the outside of the stem...
It was a slow-ish leak, about 10 psi over an hour. It was enough that it never broke the bead on me and didn't leave me on the side of the road. I did have to borrow my buddy's Scout to go buy a football/basketball pump from the local "everything" store.

Tangent 2
The 80/20 Shinko 705s were pretty good on the road. I did notice a bit of "bumpiness" at parking lot speeds but they handled well at highway speeds (When they weren't flat).

Brought it to the local tire shop where they lent me some shade from the 35C (95F) heat to rip apart the back end. The senior guy helped me put a tube in the tire and didn't charge me a dime. I think he liked the fact that I knew what I was doing and had the old bike touring around.

Tangent 3
So, I ended up putting the hard bags on. This made the back end dissaembly much easier. In spite of looks, the hard bags were actually much easier to remove then the canvas bags and the locks were a nice piece of mind to have with the long trip. Like I mentioned earlier there was a Scout touring with me. They have some nice bags but are not lockable without some modifications. We were able to share some storage to lock up both our valuables when we were away from the bikes. Made the trip easier not hauling everything around while on foot.

Next was the town on Yakk.
What a ride into town! The town consists of two bars across the street from one another, and a scattering of houses. The ride in and the town were amazing but I was floored by the ride out to Eureka. It was by far the most extreme road I've ever been on with a bike. It started with a super twisty mountain climb where I scrapped the pegs and exhaust a couple times (should have upped the spring preload before that road). Then an equally twisty downhill to the river.

Hit up Whitefish next for a couple days. Beautiful town and beautiful girls :-D Enough said haha

Did the Going to the Sun road out of Whitefish. Another amazing road but much less white knuckled than Yakk to Euerka. We then sprinted back to Calgary because of some rainy weather that was rolling in.

In all great trip! The goldwing held up to the reputation of being a great touring bike. The one thing I'll need to fix is that it is down on low end power. When cruising below ~4k rpm it would not have enough to climb hills and requires a couple down shifts to be able to pass a slow car/truck. I'm pretty sure this will be corrected by reworking the heads. It has low compression across all 4 cylinders which I've pretty certain is from carbon/gunk build up on the valves. Good thing the heads are so accessible ;)

DR: had no problems with heat on the road. It did climb up when I got stuck in traffic/construction a couple times but only to the high side of the "ok" range.
heath1066
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by heath1066 »

What are canvas bags you had on there?
Heath Hays
1984 GL1200 Standard
Chicago, IL
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Sounds like a great ride!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Great report. Sounds like your "Highway Machine Build" was a rousing success! Goldwing in its native habitat. Nothing more satisfying.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
schonc
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by schonc »

Sorry for the radio silence guys. I've been busy with another project (82 magna v65) and a load of landscaping work... actually more like 6 half ton loads.
heath1066 wrote:What are canvas bags you had on there?
They are from Andy Strapz. A little pricey but great quality. I had them on my '04 Thunderbird Sport for a while but the bike wasn't well suited for a bags and long hauls.
desertrefugee wrote:Great report. Sounds like your "Highway Machine Build" was a rousing success! Goldwing in its native habitat. Nothing more satisfying.
Track T 2411 wrote:Sounds like a great ride!
Yeah! Very happy with how it turned out. It is making me consider selling my Scout since the gf much prefers the back seat/suspension on the wing and it isn't getting as much use now.
japcrap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by japcrap »

Nice, the matte black looks neat