So, it's been a long winter. I am not very good about documenting my work - I know you guys love pictures (and so do I) but it seems like I never get around to taking them. Anyway, rolled my latest project out of the garage today. First time she's seen daylight since October, and a lot of water under the bridge.
Last fall after I bought the beast, I found during my first ride that there was something really wrong in the front end. I knew the bearings were loose, but just knew there was more to it than that. It pulled hard left, and had a nasty death wobble at 40MPH. Turned out it had a bent fork. New fork legs, new seals, steering head bearings, a C&C Products fork brace (thanks for the heads up on that eBay find Calif Wingnut), and a set of fork gaitors had the front suspension sorted. While I had the front end apart I had Truedisk resurface and drill the front rotors, fitted SS braided brake lines, and a new 14mm master cylinder. and the brakes are sooo much better!
Only 29K on the odometer, and really good compression, so I did a belt change, valve adjust, and oil change with Randakk's spin-on oil filter adapter. Also changed out the rear diff drive oil. I also replaced the clutch cable with a shorter length unit from Motion Pro. Adjusted the clutch per the FSM at the same time. Sent the carbs off to Pistol Pete and Moose for their spa treatment, and took the occasion while everything was apart to pull paint the radiator, and touch up some scratches in the frame paint.
I sent the bodywork out to a local guy to paint. 2-part urethane base-coat/clear coat in British Racing Green. Used most of the stock pinstripes (deleted the stripes on the top of the side shelter - I thought they looked too busy. The pinstripes were done before the clearcoat, so they should last a long time. I deleted the emblems from the side covers, but retained the vinyl cladding on the shelter lid, along with the thunder chicken emblem there.
Final details include superbike bars, with Randakk's grips, bar end mirrors, and some nice EMGO reverse megaphone mufflers on stock head pipes. Overall, I am really happy with how it turned out. Still have a few minor details to sort, but this is pretty much how she's gonna look. Hope y'all approve!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current: 1978 GL1000 - JUNE 2017 BOTM
2006 Kawasaki Concours: Sold
1995 Kawasaki Concours: Crashed/totalled.
1976 GL1000: LAST RESTORATION, sold
1981 Honda CB900F Supersport: 3rd restoration, sold.
1979 Yamaha XS-750F: 2nd restoration, sold.
1982 Honda FT-500 Ascot: First (only) new bike. Family forces sale.
1973 CB500 Four: First restoration, long gone.
1972 Suzuki TS-100: First bike, sold.
Only dead fish go with the flow . . .