My New Old Bike - 1982 Gl 1100I Rebuild

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

bigburlybug
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: My New Old Bike - 1982 Gl 1100I Rebuild

Post by bigburlybug »

Oh, almost forgot, I'm ready for round two.
I did take parts off the single spare #3 carb and put it onto my burnt one instead of cleaning the other carb rack. I also spat some water through the fuel inlet and didn't see any leaks. I'm thinking the fuel hose wasn't on tight enough :oops: . I'm trying it out tomorrow dancr Its going to run awesome this time.........
If you even dream of beating me, you better wake up and apologize! :revolver
Muhammad Ali

Bikes - 1982 Gl1100 I
bigburlybug
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by bigburlybug »

Leaks.
Muhammad Ali

Bikes - 1982 Gl1100 I
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

bigburlybug wrote:Leaks.
??????????

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
bigburlybug
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by bigburlybug »

I brought the replaced carbs over and decided to see if fuel was flowing to all the carbs using a syringe and loosening the #4 and #2 drain screws. Gas does indeed go to those float bowls. dancr
So the carbs went on the bike without much trouble. Learning from my previous mistakes, I put on the exhaust on the right side (Left side doesn't leak fluid, have to figure that out later) and put on the air filter (sage advice)
Can hardly tell that #3 carb was engulfed in flames two weeks ago!
I also decided to put the back wheel on so I could move outside. Outside is a good place for bad things to go wrong. After two hours of trying, I realized there's three nuts, not two that hold it on :oops:

I put in 5 mL of gas into the air intake, rolled it over a couple of times and stopped when the air box had a small flame. It was contained and put out quickly :) That's when I noticed all of the leaks :(

First leak was the drain bowl screws I apparently didn't tighten up enough. Easily fixed. Then I saw the rubber boot connecting the elbow to the #1 carb body and engine was leaking fuel.
Also in between the #1 and #3 carb bodys and bowl faces are leaking.

Final "leak" is gas going to the vacuum line. I'm not sure it should be.
Gas flows through the line above the driveshaft

So I'll try to fix the leaks this week, or at least make them leak slower so I can to the run the bike under its own power. It has potential. :crosso
Fix me up! I'm ready to run already!
Muhammad Ali

Bikes - 1982 Gl1100 I
bigburlybug
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by bigburlybug »

IT RUNS!!!!!!! dancr party2 xmas2 :R2D2 biggrin :happy_251:

It doesn't stop, cool, shift, or have its own fuel supply or electrical supply. It also leaks a tiny bit on the carbs and oil drips out of the starter hole I had to make way back when so plenty of stuff still can go wrong. Time to spend more money. Probably start on the coolant system, new battery, gas tank, then brakes in that order. If all that works, tear it down and get everything perfect I guess.

Good day though, good day.
Muhammad Ali

Bikes - 1982 Gl1100 I
bigburlybug
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by bigburlybug »

Parts finally came in! dancr I needed a gasket/seal for the oil drain plate and radiator fluid. So once I swapped out the bad plate that could't unscrew the oil drain plug, I fixed two oil leaks with one go. Also smeared some more JB weld around the bolt I tapped for the starter bolt and it seems to be working as well. New Napa gold 3011 fuel filter, fuel lines, and oil filter with brand new crush washer (last one in stock too). It all installed easily enough. Also have a brake rebuild kit but there is a lot of cleaning to be done and I haven't put much effort into it.

Since all of that went well, I ordered a NAPA radiator hose. I figured I'd put on the radiator so I can do some extended testing. Sadly, that didn't go quite as planned and I have another leak to solve :( I'm the thinking the new hoses are torquing the plate the connects the water pump to the hose and since there are only two bolts; its not getting enough pressure to seal correctly. That'll be the next thing to solve.

And for fun, I put both pipes on and started it up again.

COUGH COUGH :drunk

It idled though and didn't sound half bad. After a carb sync and idle adjustment - I'm hoping it smooths out a bit. Also hoping that smoke is from residual oil and won't stick around forever
Muhammad Ali

Bikes - 1982 Gl1100 I
bigburlybug
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by bigburlybug »

I've been working on and off a bit on the bike. I'm not quite sure what I should do next. I put on the new NAPA radiator hose and, with some trial and trimming, I got the plate covering the pump on and stopped another leak :) Started filling it up and it was leaking from an aluminum routing tube due to a broken gasket. Luckily I have those in stock from the other engine and so that leak was fixed as well! dancr

Now the only leaks left are the fuel pump (one stripped bolt hole) and the random #1 or #3 carb occasionally leaking right before the bike starts. It doesn't happen all the time though which seems kind of weird. Unless its causing other issues, I don't think its the biggest problem right now though.

I was able to get the bike running for a good twenty minutes, during which time about two gallons of gas were used. It idled fairly well even though the throttle nut was vibrating loose the whole time (now fixed). It sounded like it was running decent to my untrained ears.

Purposefully filmed at night so you can't see anything (JK - bad timing)
Which brings us to the bigger problems

A bigger problem is the sparks coming out the left side of the exhaust. Seems like it happens about once every 10 seconds or so. My fear is that I having the timing or valve clearances off so the valves are slowly chipping away and are getting through the pipe. I'm pretty sure I did the timing and clearances correctly but will probably check that again after taking a perfectly timed picture or video.

Now the biggest problem is the enormous amount of smoke coming out of the right pipe when I run it. The oil level is a bit below the full line. I was hoping that it was just residual oil in the pipe. However, when the whole bike caught on fire, the pipes weren't on and there was an oily sheen to the large puddle of liquids pooling underneath the bike. Worst case scenario I guess is a bad piston ring or somesuch. Do you guys have any thoughts? Should I just run the bike for a couple of hours, tear the engine apart, or perform a magical (and preferably easy) fix I don't know about? I don't really want to go forward with putting all the bike together if I'm going to have to go backward again.

Thanks for tuning in. :joker
Muhammad Ali

Bikes - 1982 Gl1100 I
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

oops
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

What does the smoke smell like? Looks like it could almost be a head gasket.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Well, almost impossible to tell anything positive from the dark video, but to my ear it doesn't sound right. Sparks or flames coming from the exhaust could be any number of things; wrong valve timing, valve clearances, sticking valve, one or more carbs overflowing.
What colour is the smoke? Whitish with a sweet smell - head gasket, black -oil (worn rings, worn valve guides, valves or maybe just seals), blue - running rich (float levels, choke stuck etc).
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

"I was able to get the bike running for a good twenty minutes, during which time about two gallons of gas were used."

You need to get that fixed. Way too much fuel to use in 20 minutes. Fix that first then you can go from there.

Engine seemed to pick up the "missing" cylinder/cylinders as the RPM came up. At that point it was firing on all 4, or close anyway. So seems like way too much fuel at idle (see above statement). Then it start to burn it at increased revs.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Wow, I missed that sentence, Robin. There's your smoke and flame problem right there. I guess you need to get those carbs off again.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

And double check your oil level and for smell of gas. That much fuel I have a hard time believing some of it didn't go past the rings.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

robin1731 wrote:And double check your oil level and for smell of gas. That much fuel I have a hard time believing some of it didn't go past the rings.
tumb2 tumb2 tumb2 .
bigburlybug
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by bigburlybug »

I read all of your suggestions and decided to run it one more time to gather a little more information. I also hooked up the tachometer, temp gauge, and linked up the back tire with the engine. The good news is that all of them work :-D Tach shows the speed and temp gauge goes up as the motor runs and the fan kicks on when the needle reaches about half way. Judging from the tiny leak from the top radiator/hose connection, I'd say the pump is working as well since it only leaks when running. First gear and neutral also work. It was nice seeing these gauges working since it makes it seem I'm pretty close to a running bike, especially when the tires turn. lolol

But I don't think I'm too close yet. It was still daylight this time around and got the bike started after figuring out it had to be in neutral to start (Doh!) I apologize for the poor quality again. My rear cell camera went to "infrared" mode so I had to use the selfie camera.

desertrefugee wrote:What does the smoke smell like? Looks like it could almost be a head gasket.
I tried smelling it, couldn't really tell. There wasn't a really strong odor. Maybe a little oily, possibly sweetish, kinda black and blue all at the same time? I'll practice smelling smoke and get back to you on this one. :lol:
Old Fogey wrote:Well, almost impossible to tell anything positive from the dark video, but to my ear it doesn't sound right. Sparks or flames coming from the exhaust could be any number of things; wrong valve timing, valve clearances, sticking valve, one or more carbs overflowing.
What colour is the smoke? Whitish with a sweet smell - head gasket, black -oil (worn rings, worn valve guides, valves or maybe just seals), blue - running rich (float levels, choke stuck etc).
There weren't really flames coming out the left side, more just sparks. I didn't see them this time around, maybe because it was light out. I'll check the timing and clearances.

The right side is the smoking side. The #3 carb over flows and leaks just before the bike starts up and the #1 carb seems to overflow until the RPMs hit 4000-5000 and then stops, even at low RPMs. #2 and #4 never leak.
It is a bluish white.
I didn't run it long enough to really be sure but it seemed to thin out substantially when the fan kicked on which was just as my two gallons ran out - probably 30-40 mins of run time. (really should get that gas tank all the way de-rusted)

I'll take your guys suggestion and look over the carbs again. I know they aren't perfectly right and you're telling me it can cause smoke, of which there is a lot of. That's an awfully big coincidence.
robin1731 wrote:"I was able to get the bike running for a good twenty minutes, during which time about two gallons of gas were used."

You need to get that fixed. Way too much fuel to use in 20 minutes. Fix that first then you can go from there.

Engine seemed to pick up the "missing" cylinder/cylinders as the RPM came up. At that point it was firing on all 4, or close anyway. So seems like way too much fuel at idle (see above statement). Then it start to burn it at increased revs.

Yessir. I'll be working on taking the carbs out on Thursday and tearing them all apart again. Should be easier this time too, not so much cleaning to do. The #1 carb starts to leak at idle and then not leak at higher revs, pretty much validating your theory.
robin1731 wrote:And double check your oil level and for smell of gas. That much fuel I have a hard time believing some of it didn't go past the rings.
Your belief is well founded. I'm well past the "full" line and I know I put in a little less than full just so I knew any smoke was not due to too much oil. Thanks for the info! shakehands

Carbs are coming off again. :drunk
Muhammad Ali

Bikes - 1982 Gl1100 I