GL 1200 Sniak

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: GL 1200 Sniak

Post by ericheath »

First picture, no comment. Second pic looksnirmal from here. Third picture also shows about how a large majority blow: between the cylinders.

Some things that perplex me are the different size holes in the heads for the water. Maybe it's just how they're cast, but I've always wondered why the have almost trapezoidal holes on the outer upper and lower??? Also why aren't the head gaskets cut to use them???

I have ten to twenty, maybe thirty years left, so if anybody knows, chip in here.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

well, job done, still waiting for the timing belts. right now, since the engine is dropped, need to think about the painting but its so bulky il will not be able to do a clean job so....
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

sniak wrote:Hi, I know that several posts talk about head gasket supply but, as far aas i know honda discontinued the full kit...
I found this one : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/381373843832?eui ... xe,ext=ext

I know most of you will telle me to by oem but since I want a kit i dont see many options....
thanks for your help !

++
No, No, No! I am not a 'buy OEM or else' guy, but never, ever buy gaskets sets that have no maker/ manufacturer name.

Go with this one. I use Athena all the time, never had a problem (and it's cheaper that the one you were going to buy!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL1200-To ... 2228000773
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Hello, i'm struggling with the engine paint... its partially gone, the thing is super heavy, the paint stripper does not work and i cannot sandblast it.... any ideas of tools or techniques to clean such a mess?

thanks !
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

It may not get it factory-perfect, but when I re-did my KZ1300 engine case, I scrubbed it with Simple Green and a variety of brushes. It didn't take all the old paint off, but it got the surface clean enough for a coat or two of Dupli-Color Ceramic Engine Enamel. It think DE1615 is the color most throw around as close to the stock engine color, and once you get a couple heat cycles into it, seem to hold up pretty good.

Again, it won't remove ALL the old paint, but once you get a new color over everything, you end up with a block that looks pretty good.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

ok, after a beer, a brainstorm, a beer, a beer, I decided to try soda blasting.

I ordered a gravity gun like this

And of course 2 big bags of soda and micro glass beads. I'm confident I will eventually succeed, so my next step is to finish the work on the engine, put new gaskets all around and close it for good, then i'll share my experiments about blasting !!

++
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

You're blasting the engine right? Use the soda, don't use the glass beads. Any material will get in to places you don't want it. No matter how well you seal it. The soda won't hurt. The glass beads will. I use a soda blaster a lot. Even on assembled engines.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Hey robin, i plan to use glass beads for the frame and other parts, and I thought that if the soda cannot remove the engine paint, the beads would... if i need to use it, i'll put silicon to seal every hole in the engine !

++
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

sniak wrote:Hey robin, i plan to use glass beads for the frame and other parts, and I thought that if the soda cannot remove the engine paint, the beads would... if i need to use it, i'll put silicon to seal every hole in the engine !++
You're a brave man! I'm with Robin on this. Don't do it, it is simply not worth the risk.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

mmmm ok lets stick with soda, i'll let you know how it works !
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Yeah, trust me, no matter how well you think it is sealed it isn't. 90lbs of pressure pushing glass beads, or sand, gets in to everything. I've done a number of engines with soda and you'll be surprised where it ends up. With soda what you don't get removed will dissolve. That's why either soda or walnut shells are used for internal engine parts.

Also, once you are done blasting rinse the engine off with water. Then blow it off very well with compressed air. Just blowing the dry soda won't remove it all. While it won't hurt anything it makes for a gritty feel every time you touch it. And if you want to paint it you'll need to remove it too. Hot water is what I use. Very hot.

And don't blast it in the shop. Do it outside. Some say the soda will kill grass. I use mine in the driveway so I can't say either way.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Hi guys,

I decided to close the engine, and soda blast it all to keep raw aluminium only.

Very disappointed with the athena gasket kit at this time since the big gasket for rear cover and the one near clutch are a bit too big, holes not aligned.... I dont understand

then I had to cut my owns :

and

The soda blasting with the gravity gun works pretty fine ( small twin cylinder 3hp compressor), I could remove the paint and everything, BUT, where the paint was already gone remains some marks.... not sure if I'll be satisfied with it.

The raw aluminium from cylinders head itself is very easy to clean, and by far the best aspect after 30s of blasting !!!

Now, i'm going to blast every piece of the bike :flamer
Buli
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Buli »

Hello. I have read bad experience about athen seal kits also before this. It seem they r cheap but no good.

Waiting to see pix after blasting
Kinde
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Long time no see.... some news, the engine is running again ! since im confident now, i'm gonna simplify the harness with a motogadget unit, build some buttons, put another speedometer on the fake tank. It is a GL 1100 one that i cut and narrowed and managed to close in the front with some fiber. I'll put 2 nice air intakes on these fiber parts and force the flow on the carbs again with fiber tubes.

also i put xjr 1200 shocks that i will need to rebuilt later

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Good to see you back at it. Looks promising.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi