1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: 1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

Post by toolbox »

Thanks for all the kind words guys! Much appreciated :). Not a whole lot to report, but I do have a couple of things. With the tape all off the shelter finally, I decided now would be a good time to finally remove the paint from the rubber gasket around the top of it.

I just used some paper towels soaked in mineral spirits (and a ton of scrubbing) to get it off. Turned out nice...didn't want to come off the inside edge as much, but since you never see it I'm not too worried about it.

Turned out pretty nice.

Then, it was on to concept testing my idea for decorating the rear of the shelter... Like many of my ideas on this, it started out as sketch (1st draft :lol: ). I thought it was worth pursuing, so I moved on to a second draft...which consisted of taking my basic idea, and working it up on the computer. I ran off a couple sets of these letters, and cut them out to see how it would look. I just used a pair of scissors, so they're a little ratty, but you get the idea. I just used that tacky glue on them that I'm already really tired of using :lol: . So, call this a proof of concept test...

Pics look a bit washed out because the sun was shining right on it...kind of a funny evening--the weather was alternating between a blizzard and a nice sunny day...welcome to spring in Montana :lol: I was trying to scoot the bike outside when it was sunny...

And the other side...

It looks great without any other decoration, but I think that last pic sells it for me. With that much space there, it feels like it lacks balance to me. I'll be running this off as a sticker, so if I decide I don't like it, it's non-destructive, and can be removed. I'm not going to say "easy to remove", but rather "can be removed" :lol: . I think the color and size look good. Cutting out the letters would be tedious, but nothing like taping up those teeth lol. It'll take a little time to do the layout...I'd need to make sure that I get the distances/angles as symmetrical as I can. Only thing that makes that challenge on this piece is the lack of hard edges to measure from.

Oh, and on the subject of the seat... I'm toying with the idea of dying it brown, which would compliment the grips nicely I think. The big question for me is how durable that kind of finish would be...from the research that I've done, it sounds like anything else--the results are determined by the prep :). Something I'm thinking about anyway...
Last edited by toolbox on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Looks great!
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Before I even got to where you mentioned it looks more balanced I was thinking the same thing. The lettering completes it. If I had an 1100 seat I would donate it to you so you could get it professionally covered in a period correct OD. Alas I don't have one though.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

that turned out great.
you're gonna throw something at me but...lol
you should make a mini fairing that mimics the front of the canopy from a P40.
Attachments
curtiss-p-40-warhawk.jpg
curtiss-p-40-warhawk.jpg (107.07 KiB) Viewed 386 times
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

BikeMaine wrote:Looks great!
Thanks man! It's even better as you'll see shortly :)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

Sagebrush wrote:Before I even got to where you mentioned it looks more balanced I was thinking the same thing. The lettering completes it. If I had an 1100 seat I would donate it to you so you could get it professionally covered in a period correct OD. Alas I don't have one though.
Still appreciate the thought though...doing anything serious with the seat is probably off the table at least until next year. In fact, I'm actually postponing the jeep for the time being...my job of 12 years is in questionable condition right now, so my already fairly thin budget is about to get tightened even more. Which makes me extremely glad I"m at this point in with the bike...I really shouldn't have to throw much more money at it at this point :). I'm still seriously thinking about making it a dark brown though...it wouldn't cost very much I don't think since it's really pretty small.
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

5speed wrote:that turned out great.
you're gonna throw something at me but...lol
you should make a mini fairing that mimics the front of the canopy from a P40.
Oh sure, now you tell me :lol: . I've had the same thought, and I've kept it in the back of my mind...believe it or not, someone has actually done that exact thing (and did a decent job of it as well). I've gawked at hundreds (if not thousands at this point) of pictures of motorcycles looking for inspiration, and I remember running across that. I may still do something like that, but it will probably have to wait until next summer...would be fun to make one out of metal and lexan :).

Spent my evening working on my letters... I printed off several of these off, in case I made any mistakes and needed spares. If they somehow get damaged, it would be easy to swap them out now too.

I expected it to be a tedious time consuming job, and it didn't disappoint :lol: . Could be worse though, I mean, I finished it in an evening. I started off by doing a mockup on the "short side" of the shelter, so I knew I would have enough room for everything to fit. Then I laid down a couple of guide stripes to set the letters up to so they would all be even.

And the other side...I didn't get many pics of this because it's not all that interesting to look at, and I was really in a hurry to get done.

And (drumroll please)...ta da! :lol:

I think Sagebrush got it right...this completes it. Then, having completed that I figured I might as well toss the bracket in...and then...THE LIDS :lol: .

Here you go...

That is actually the first time the lids have been installed since I painted it OD...I didn't want to risk getting dings in the paint by messing with them too much.

And even thought it was pitch black outside at this point, if you think I'm not going to get some pics of this setup after all that, you're crazy :lol:

Forgive the crappy cell phone "flash" pics...it's all I've got at the moment. Looking at them now, I should have turned off the side lights...they're not aimed yet, and they light up the front tire like a Christmas tree.

And I covered up the headlight in an attempt to show what the instruments look like at night...the cell phone pic really doesn't do it justice, but at least you can get an idea.

And a couple more just for good measure :lol: .

I'm super stoked to do a real photoshoot when A) I think it's officially done for this year, and B) I have a new computer so I can actually edit them. I know how much you guys love pics, and I don't think I'll disappoint :). Anyway, I still have a list,though it's definitely getting shorter. Having the shelter done is a pretty big milestone...after all the work I've put into it, I'm half temped to put it on a shelf so I can stare at it and not have it get damaged :lol: . Acutally...now that I think about it, I could pick up another one for probably fifty bucks, spray it OD, and have a DD shelter...save that one for it's Sunday best :lol: .

Edit--thought this was kind of fun...a blast from page one. The bike when I first got it two years ago :shock:

I've been thinking that when the bike is done, I might go back and re-create some of those pics from back then, so I can do a real "before and after" comparison, just for fun :).
Last edited by toolbox on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Fantastic.

I like the seat black, just the way it is.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

it looks fantastic but the lid of the shelter knocks it out of the park.
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

Thanks guys :). Did I mention I'm super stoked to take a picture of it that's not in my driveway :lol: . Well, that hasn't happened yet, but she's really close. My battery came day before yesterday :).

It's supposed to be U.S. made, and the quality looks pretty good. Fit the battery tray really nicely. I wanted a sealed battery so I wouldn't have to worry about the mess and corrosion that seems to follow the other ones around.

Hooked it up, turned on the gas, and hit the starter button...the thing lit right up :mrgreen: . I was impressed...that battery must supply way more current than what I had going on using the truck battery, because I always had to crank on it for a bit to get her going. So, for the little bit that I've seen from it, call me impressed :). And that marks another small milestone...for the first time since 1989, she was running completely on her own :). I celebrated by scooting it around my driveway while it was idling, and took some pics of it.

So, here you go...in the daylight this time :lol:

Even moved it around so I could get the rare 3/4 rear view :lol: . From here the list is a bunch of small stuff. It's not going anywhere until I put the beads in the front tire (yea...haven't done that yet :oops: ) and adjust the new clutch cable. We got another inch snow last night too :x . At this point it isn't sticking around (I hope), but it's still pretty much too cold to ride in a three season jacket :roll: . Also need to figure out what to do for insurance...I want to see if I can get something that would cover more than just regular market value for an early '80s bike :).
Last edited by toolbox on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

Nicely done, I'm actually anxious for you to ride it action1. If you're interested in cleaning up your whitewalls, I've found that Orange hand cleaner, the gritty kind, and a little elbow grease works wonders. The black seat works good enough with your theme, the canvas OD seat would just send it over the top.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

looking wicked.. love your shelter control panel.. I'm afraid I would ride off the road because I would be staring at it. lol
Where did you get your key fob? I need one. :mrgreen:
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

That is a great looking bike that you have built! Job well done! Originally, I was thinking the black seat needed to be changed, but now I am not so sure...it helps tie in other aspects of the bike.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

Design idea: You need to remove the Honda label on the rear of the seat and have an image like this one air brushed on it.
2fa15c9efdd3c83eca6bd7bc5319a308.jpg
2fa15c9efdd3c83eca6bd7bc5319a308.jpg (59.54 KiB) Viewed 297 times
Just the girl part of the image ;)
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Sagebrush wrote:Design idea: You need to remove the Honda label on the rear of the seat and have an image like this one air brushed on it.

2fa15c9efdd3c83eca6bd7bc5319a308.jpg

Just the girl part of the image ;)
I like the way you think. :mrgreen:
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)