1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Re: 1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

Post by sunnbobb »

Where are all the pictures??
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

sunnbobb wrote:Where are all the pictures??
About that... So, after photovomit decided to break the internet, I switched where I was hosting my images over to postimage.org...which seemed like a good idea at the time :lol: . it was all good until one day a while back, they put up a message about how they had some sort of DNS registration loss or some such techo babble. Nothing was showing up from that point forward...the site is back up and running, but for some reason all the links appear to be broken :x . I want to say I'd put up around 400 pictures there, so this is a disappointment...I'm going to have them hosted somewhere else, but that will mean updating all the links which will obviously be a bit of a project. One that's worth doing though for sure :). I have all the pictures archived on my computer so nothing is actually lost...just the time it will take to fix it.

Bike is basically done at this point...just trying to straighten out the insurance before I hit the road with it. Already took some studio-like pics, but I'm waiting until I get this hosting thing figured out to post them. I'm hoping to get it published somewhere once I have a full set of pics.

Anyway, I'm still alive and still around...just trying to get this stuff sorted out :)
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Heck, go ahead and post them here.. :)
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

sunnbobb wrote:Heck, go ahead and post them here.. :)
I agree, if it'll work.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

Hey guys! I'm working on getting the pics back up...I found out that I can go in and edit the domain names from every picture link to restore them...they (all) have to be changed from .org to .cc. I've gone back several pages and fixed a lot of them, but with IIRC somewhere around 400 of them, it's going to take a little time :). Still, beats having to figure out what went where and repost all of them :lol: . Hopefully have them all fixed soon. I *still* haven't been able to get out and take the other pics I wanted...when I have time, it's raining. When it's nice, I can't go...which pretty well sums up my riding season so far this year :lol: . At this rate, we'll have about three weeks of nice weather before fire season lol. Anyway, it looks like I'll have Thursday evening off, it's supposed to be sunny, and I've (tentatively) got plans with my GL :). So, hopefully shortly after that I'll just put up a whole set of showoff pics :P .
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

rain here all week..we need it but darn it..a nice day in there somewhere wouldn't hurt.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

"Rain here all week.. . We need it, but darn it, a nice day in there somewhere wouldn't hurt."

Getcher kachina doll out & dance around a bit to stop the rain. It works for me.
You have to make the traditional tin foil hat & weave one-season-old grass between your toes on both feet, & then the dance should be conducted at dawn & dusk for best efficacy. Let me tell you, you miss one toe w/ that grass, & it will rain for a week.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Patriccio wrote:"Rain here all week.. . We need it, but darn it, a nice day in there somewhere wouldn't hurt."

Getcher kachina doll out & dance around a bit to stop the rain. It works for me.
You have to make the traditional tin foil hat & weave one-season-old grass between your toes on both feet, & then the dance should be conducted at dawn & dusk for best efficacy. Let me tell you, you miss one toe w/ that grass, & it will rain for a week.
um..I think I speak for us all when I say..we're going to need video of you performing this for instructional purposes. ;)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

5speed wrote:
Patriccio wrote:"Rain here all week.. . We need it, but darn it, a nice day in there somewhere wouldn't hurt."

um..I think I speak for us all when I say..we're going to need video of you performing this for instructional purposes. ;)
Thank goodness he's didn't say anything about having to be naked...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Track T 2411 wrote:
5speed wrote: um..I think I speak for us all when I say..we're going to need video of you performing this for instructional purposes. ;)
Thank goodness he's didn't say anything about having to be naked...
sssshhh don't give him any idea's.. :shock:
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now, see...this is why I made NGW the home for my build thread :lol: .

So, I was going through my pictures and consolidating my GL1100 project pictures on the computer, when I realized that there's a few things I hadn't gotten around to sharing about it...like this:

This was a little while back...finally finished the seat trim. I powder coated it black...the little pins you have to bend when removing/installing mostly survived, so that's a win.

Much better than having them shiny :).

Also finally got around to putting the beads in the front tire...

I still think they look more like sand lol. Had a little trouble getting them in...the little tube wasn't actually much help. I just kept telling myself they would last the life of the tire lol.

And then there was replacing the side lights... Don't know if you guys remember, but the right side lens cracked for some (still unknown) reason. I got these off the auction site for replacements.

I assumed they were the same thing, but with red "gems". They're actually not..the reflector is a different design and the lens is more convex as well. The back is different enough I was a little concerned about the LED unit fitting correctly and being able to use my retainer I made, but it all worked out just fine.

Old is on the left, new is on the right...

I was able to transfer the little wire thing over, and it worked out just fine.

I'm actually kind of glad I replaced them...I like the new ones better :).

And...as I mentioned before, I finally got around to doing a photo shoot. Guys pay big money to take their rides to a studio and have this done...but, that wasn't going to happen here lol. First, I don't have big bucks to pay someone else to take fancy pictures, second...well, by now you guys should know that if there's even a remote possibility of doing something myself, I'll put a ridiculous amount of time and energy into an endeavor to save a buck :lol: . Doesn't hurt that I used to be a weekend warrior doing wedding photography either...photography has been a hobby of mine since I was a kid, and although I just don't do all that much of it anymore, I still have all my gear and I still know how to use it.

Now, guys that have studios that can handle a car (or bike) will usually have an enormous soft box suspended from the ceiling...like 25' long kind of big. Again, not happening here lol. But...BUT, I do have one of the largest umbrella style light modifiers you can buy--an 86" Parabolic Light Modifier (PLM). The thing is huge...whenever I wanted to impress a group at a wedding, I'd stand them up in front of this thing. It's a parabolic reflector, so it's very efficient...the silver lining (literally lol) gives the light a specular quality, while the enormous size gives the shadows very soft edges. It's kind of a unique look... I have an '80s vintage Speedotron D1620 pack and head studio lighting setup, and that's what I used to light the bike. I went with the PLM hung off my garage roof for starters...

This was really pushing the amount of weight you can hang off a light stand, but it held together thankfully. I started off with the power pack up on the roof, but for the second attempt the next night moved it down below.

At half power I was getting f32 :shock: . For non photo-geeks, this means I was getting a TON of light on the bike...

Here it is with just the one light...

Making adjustments was...interesting lol.

The results with one light were...ok. It really needed more fill on the sides though, too much detail was getting lost in the shadows. So, next night I went with a three light setup.

The results were pretty good considering the limitations of space and equipment I had. I ended up having to run a cord behind the bike for one of the lamp heads, and so I ended up having to spend some time photoshop removing that. Overall I was pretty happy with them. I'm toying with the idea of making a poster out of the first one and hanging it up somewhere.
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

And...the results :)

I shot them all with my Canon 1Ds, 70-200/2.8IS, f22-f32. Tried to stay at the long end of the lens in order to lose as much of the background as possible.
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

And, you might remember me saying something about not posting until I had a chance to go out and do a shoot at another location... Well...yep :lol: . Before I could, I had to get the insurance straightened out. I wanted to see what kind of a deal I could get from Hagerty on my '62 Jeep, 1960 Oldsmobile, 1983 Shadow, and the '82 GL. Their "value finder" put the Jeep at a hair over 10K :shock: . I think they're crazy, but I'll take it :lol: . The Olds at 14k, the Shadow at 2K...and the GL at $4500. Now, I honestly don't know what this thing is worth...I mean, as a custom it really falls into the catagory of "whatever someone will pay for it", and I have no clue what that is. So, I started to ask myself what I would even begin to consider selling it for (not that I plan on ever doing that)...10K seemed too high, and 5K too low. So, I thought to myself...$7500 seems like a nice round number. I'll put that down.

Fast forward like a week, and I'm on the phone with an agent getting it all set up. He says that they've never insured a Goldwing of that vintage for that much money, and the underwriter wants to know why it's worth so much. I literally told this guy over the phone..."You've never seen a Goldwing that looks like this one." :lol: . So, I sent him a bunch of pictures and a very long list of the custom work on it. They put the policy through without asking any more questions :lol: . The next guy I talked to on the phone about it to finalize things really liked it...and coming from someone who spends his entire day gawking at this stuff was I thought a pretty nice compliment.

With that taken care of, I basically had to wait like three weeks in order to have the stars align where I had
A) The night off
B) No kids
C) No rain
So far this summer, those three conditions just haven't happened at the same time :lol: . But, this past Thursday...they did :mrgreen:

I loaded up the camera in the side bag, along with the tools I'd need to adjust the lights so they were good to go for the evening. Before I get to the rest of the pictures, I thought I'd share some thoughts on her maiden voyage...

Honestly didn't know what to expect, as this was literally the first time I've ridden a 'wing. Well, outside of sitting on it making vroom vrroooooom vrooooooooooooom sounds :lol: . The only bike I've spent a lot of time on is my Shadow, so it was really interesting to compare the two. First thoughts--it's very smooth...both the ride and the handling. She definitely has highway couch in her DNA lol. Shifter has a MUCH shorter throw than my Shadow...it was kind of hard to find neutral in a hurry when I wanted to because I'm used to having so much play in it. Riding position is very different, but comfortable. I like the seat. Speedometer is a little wonky...something I didn't really have a way to test until then. It's sluggish, and doesn't seem to want to go over about 35. So, someday I'll have to fix that. I can guestimate my speed pretty well just from riding my other bike, so I'm not super worried about it. It's kind of loud-ish, but not bad. I like the way it sounds. Coming to a stop is was a pleasant surprise...I have to kind of wrestle my Shadow when I stop in order to keep from looking like an idiot. The GL is very smooth and stops straight as an arrow without fighting with it. Plenty of power to be had, though the carbs definitely need to be syncd. Overall, I have to give her a big thumbs up--she's a joy to ride.

Wasn't quite prepared for how much gawking people were doing at it though lol. After I took my pictures, I stopped where I could aim my headlights at a wall, and a nice boyfriend/girlfriend couple who lived across the street asked if they could come over and take a look...I probably spent 20 minutes talking to them, and they took pictures of it before they left. Kind of funny.

So, anyway, here's my second set of pics...if anyone is interested, I could put together a post on photo tips for these things. I shot these out at a gravel pit by the local airport, and then a couple from the little airport itself.
It was a gorgeous evening at sunset...these are the mountains south of town.

And...the bike :)

And finally...dream big :)

I don't have words to describe how happy I was to shoot some pics of it somewhere other than my driveway :lol: .
Anyway, she's officially on the road...though if things don't settle down, I may not have more than 50 miles on her by the end of summer :oops: .
Buli
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Buli »

Damn good looking. Me like lot
Kinde
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Beware. Its going to take you 30-40 minutes to fill up every time because of all the attention it will draw at gas stations ;). Nicely done, I would be proud to own this bike. You are in for a world of enjoyment riding it and I hope you get as much chance to do so as you can stand. Great job and great job bringing us along.

Someone once said that riding a bike is as close as you can get to flying while not leaving the ground. You have taken that sentiment to a whole 'nother level.

Kudos!

Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread