1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

Congratulations! Super nice job and attention to detail, I could stare at your bike for hours. Maybe see you on the road someday, Montana is a tiny little state :)
Todd Logan (Bugdaddy66)
"Never argue with a moron, they'll always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
1978 GL1000 Daily commuter (SOLD)
1981 XS650 Hot Rod play bike (SOLD)
2003 BMW F650CS (Wife Bike)
2009 BMW R1200RT
OCR
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by OCR »

WOW!
Just WOW!
79 CX500custom
76LTD
77Goldwing
2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 4X4

Secretary Caroline Lodge 681
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Congratulations, I knew you had a BOTM before you finished. Again, nice job.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

action1 action1 action1 action1 action1 action1 action1 action1 action1 action1 action1 action1
You just can't look away !!!

Great Job all the way.
HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
FrontRunner
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by FrontRunner »

Well done! Congrats on BOTM. You earned it. She is a sweet ride.
1978 GL1000 My 1st GL Learning experience
2000 Kawasaki Nomad 1500
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

congrats on BOTM..well deserved..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
leggman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by leggman »

Cool build. I have a couple of 1100 parts bikes if you need any parts. Just ask.
Dave
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Easily one of the nicest and most original customs to grace these pages.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

Congrats on botm!
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Many congratulations on BOTM, and great write up too.

action1 action1 action1 action1 action1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

desertrefugee wrote:Easily one of the nicest and most original customs to grace these pages.
congratulations on a fine job.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

That is sooooo cool. You did an outstanding job. Aaaaaand now I'm really going to set up for powder coating.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

Sooooo...if it seemed a bit like I fell off the face of the planet for a while there, it's because I kind of did :lol: . It's been a long time, but I thought I would check back in and give you guys a little bit of an update...

But first, I really have to give a great big thanks to everyone here...first for the kind words when I got BOTM, which is really such an incredible honor for me. I always appreciate it when strangers on the street can appreciate the stuff I make, but to be honest it really means so much more coming from guys that turn their own wrenches and know what it takes to make it happen. When I go to a car show, I don't just see shiny paint...I see the blood, sweat, and tears that other guys have poured into their projects, and it shows up in every detail. It really does mean a lot to me, and I appreciate every word.

Second, (and more importantly) I have to give a big thanks for all the support, help, ideas, and just general motivation I got from everyone here...5Speed, Bike Maine, Easter, Sagebrush (for always finding things for me to do :lol: ) and everyone else who has contributed all deserve some credit in making this come together at all. My biggest thanks goes to my girlfriend Lori, without whom this thing wouldn't even exist. It was my desire to find a bike that would fit us both so she could ride with me that launched my search for a Goldwing...without that, this little piece of the universe would never have been created. So, THANK YOU ALL for everything...it's been a beautiful ride :).

As for what I've been up to since I last posted... Well, not long after I finished the bike (and before I got BOTM) I was laid off from my job of 13 years...which as you can probably imagine pretty much turned my life upside down. I live in a town of only about 6000 people, which is kind of rural and doesn't have many job opportunities that pay more than $10 an hour. So, not finding anything particularly worthwhile, I've been concentrating on my own business ventures... My camera restoration business has been doing fairly well, and I also got into selling imported lego type toy sets of all things. Also considering doing firearms restoration, and I have all the paperwork to become an FFL...firearms are mostly just bits of metal and wood, and I have a lot of experience in finishing both so that seems like it would be a natural fit. I might start a very small used car lot in the spring...again, having a years of experience restoring cars and doing detailing it seems like a natural fit. I've bought and sold more cars than I count as it is, so I know how the game goes lol.

This fall I really wanted to upgrade my capabilities in refinishing camera (and other metal) parts, so I build a small shop for it...

It's based on the $200 Horrible Freight "portable garage" (though it's probably not very good at being either of those :lol: ), it makes a dandy super cheap workspace. It's now outfitted with a mini powder coating cabinet, my ultra cheap PC oven, big huge 60 gallon industrial compressor, drill press, work bench, shelf unit, and my fully upgraded HF blasting cabinet. The basting cabinet (or "blasted cabinet" as I started calling it to my GF) was like a two month long project in itself :oops: . It was kind of ridiculous, but it's been fully upgraded...basically the only thing original is the metal box. You'd need to spend at least a thousand dollars to get a cabinet with the features it has, and I'm into it for less than half that. If anyone wants details on any of this stuff, I can post it here...I took some pictures as I went.

Anyway, I'm still kind of in an "in between" stage in life, and things are pretty far from being settled. But, we're tough, and very much hanging in there.
Hope everyone is having a good holiday season :). And thank again to everyone...I really do appreciate it.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

toolbox wrote:Sooooo...if it seemed a bit like I fell off the face of the planet for a while there, it's because I kind of did :lol: . It's been a long time, but I thought I would check back in and give you guys a little bit of an update...

But first, I really have to give a great big thanks to everyone here...first for the kind words when I got BOTM, which is really such an incredible honor for me. I always appreciate it when strangers on the street can appreciate the stuff I make, but to be honest it really means so much more coming from guys that turn their own wrenches and know what it takes to make it happen. When I go to a car show, I don't just see shiny paint...I see the blood, sweat, and tears that other guys have poured into their projects, and it shows up in every detail. It really does mean a lot to me, and I appreciate every word.

oSecond, (and more importantly) I have to give a big thanks for all the support, help, ideas, and just general motivation I got from everyone here...5Speed, Bike Maine, Easter, Sagebrush (for always finding things for me to do :lol: ) and everyone else who has contributed all deserve some credit in making this come together at all. My biggest thanks goes to my girlfriend Lori, without whom this thing wouldn't even exist. It was my desire to find a bike that would fit us both so she could ride with me that launched my search for a Goldwing...without that, this little piece of the universe would never have been created. So, THANK YOU ALL for everything...it's been a beautiful ride :).

As for what I've been up to since I last posted... Well, not long after I finished the bike (and before I got BOTM) I was laid off from my job of 13 years...which as you can probably imagine pretty much turned my life upside down. I live in a town of only about 6000 people, which is kind of rural and doesn't have many job opportunities that pay more than $10 an hour. So, not finding anything particularly worthwhile, I've been concentrating on my own business ventures... My camera restoration business has been doing fairly well, and I also got into selling imported lego type toy sets of all things. Also considering doing firearms restoration, and I have all the paperwork to become an FFL...firearms are mostly just bits of metal and wood, and I have a lot of experience in finishing both so that seems like it would be a natural fit. I might start a very small used car lot in the spring...again, having a years of experience restoring cars and doing detailing it seems like a natural fit. I've bought and sold more cars than I count as it is, so I know how the game goes lol.

This fall I really wanted to upgrade my capabilities in refinishing camera (and other metal) parts, so I build a small shop for it...

It's based on the $200 Horrible Freight "portable garage" (though it's probably not very good at being either of those :lol: ), it makes a dandy super cheap workspace. It's now outfitted with a mini powder coating cabinet, my ultra cheap PC oven, big huge 60 gallon industrial compressor, drill press, work bench, shelf unit, and my fully upgraded HF blasting cabinet. The basting cabinet (or "blasted cabinet" as I started calling it to my GF) was like a two month long project in itself :oops: . It was kind of ridiculous, but it's been fully upgraded...basically the only thing original is the metal box. You'd need to spend at least a thousand dollars to get a cabinet with the features it has, and I'm into it for less than half that. If anyone wants details on any of this stuff, I can post it here...I took some pictures as I went.

Anyway, I'm still kind of in an "in between" stage in life, and things are pretty far from being settled. But, we're tough, and very much hanging in there.
Hope everyone is having a good holiday season :). And thank again to everyone...I really do appreciate it.
Some of us just coast thru life, but a lot of us have been where you are. Hang in,... and follow your heart. hard work always pays off in the end. Remember, we are here for you. Keep us in the loop,... sometimes it DOES take a village
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I was beginning to wonder if we were ever going to hear from you again. BTW your bike is polling pretty good in the Bike of the Year contest. I was fortunate in my working career as I was never out of work from the time I turned 18 until I retired at 61. However, my Dad worked in the automotive industry in the down river Detroit area when I was growing up and he would get "layed off" from time to time and it always sent jitters through the family. Hang in there and pursue your passions you just might end of better off in the long run.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread