1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: 1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

Post by 5speed »

You should have seen the first oven we rigged up for baking barrels. Lol. I recertified my redneck man card with that contraption. :)
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

5speed wrote:You should have seen the first oven we rigged up for baking barrels. Lol. I recertified my redneck man card with that contraption. :)
:lol: I hear ya...what I've got in mind will probably add "lifetime member" to my redneck man card :lol: . I pulled my bars on my lunchbreak, and slathered that and the clamp up with a bunch of paint stripper. Should be easy to buzz whatever is left with a sanding disk.

I took the bars and tried to see if they would fit into my would-be oven...it's close, but it looks like they'll fit. The clamp block I can just toss in the toaster oven. Got to looking at things as I was taking them apart...there's actually some road rash from the wreck on the brake lever that I somehow missed, so I might refinish it and PC both the levers. Because I can :lol: . Also noticed that there was a single broken strand on the clutch cable as I was removing the lever :-? . Not a big deal, but it looks like I can get an NOS cable for $30, so I think I'll go ahead and do it and save myself some future headache. Would be easier to do it now with things half taken apart than it would be later. Throttle cables look fine. Also a good opportunity to give the starter switch a more thorough cleaning, and probably the high beam and horn switches as well. Once I get all that done, I'll finally be able to put my fancy-schmancy custom grips on too :). I'd actually been holding off on that until I decided if I wanted to PC the bars or not...no sense in installing them if I had to remove them again.
Last edited by toolbox on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

you've pretty much convinced me to buy the kit.
I've been sitting here thinking about all the things on my 76 I was going to paint and the durability of powder coat on things like the handlebars, calipers certainly makes the investment worth while.
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

5speed wrote:you've pretty much convinced me to buy the kit.
I've been sitting here thinking about all the things on my 76 I was going to paint and the durability of powder coat on things like the handlebars, calipers certainly makes the investment worth while.
Yea, I have a feeling this is going to be another one of those "Why didn't I get this sooner?" kind of things :lol: . Actually, I'm kind of already having that thought...it would have been nice to PC a few other parts on the bike while I was at it. The main one would have been the bag bracket assembly. I don't feel like taking it all apart to refinish it, but at some point I'm going to have service the rear wheel, and it might make sense to do it then. I may still go back and refinish a few small parts...the bag latches for instance would be a perfect candidate.

Speaking of, had a go at the bar clamp thing...here it is after I finished stripping the paint.

Figured I'd tape off the wing emblem, spray the PC paint on it, carefully pull the tape and bake it. Everything was going fine until I started spraying the powder...I didn't notice until that moment, but right on the edge of the wings I wasn't able to completely sand the chrome (you can see it in the pic). Turns out, PC doesn't stick to chrome :lol: . So, it had this bright edge outlining the wings...it was funny and disappointing at the same time lol. So, I wiped the powder off, and briefly tried to sand the edge around it but was worried that I just could get close enough. The wing thing is attached by swaging the pins on the back of it, so I drilled them out a little, and just tapped the wing off.

About 30 seconds with a sanding disk, and it was good to go :). Here it is after I sprayed it, ready to go in the oven...

And about half an hour later...baked and cooled.

PC seems to stick just fine to the sanded chrome...no need to sand down all the way to bare metal. It just seems to want a surface with enough texture to grip to. Basically the same surface prep as for paint I suppose. I tapped the wings back on...it's actually a pretty tight fit, so I don't think I'll bother using epoxy on the pins like I'd been thinking about. I thought about refinishing the wings while I had them off, but I like how they look kind of old.

Also took a sanding disk to the bars, and finished cleaning them up.

Honestly, I don't see how a professional could have made that clamp any better...it looks great. If the bars turn out that nice, I'll be really happy. Like I was saying, I think the key seems to be just in the prep (like any surface finishing). There is a little bit of technique to it, but it's not exactly rocket science. Anyway, very happy...I gotta think this thing will pay for itself after only a couple of uses. Oh, and one note on the HF equipment...the alligator clip on the ground wire has to go. I've only used this thing a couple of times, and I'm already hating that clip...all it's really good for is slipping off right as I'm starting to spray, so I have to put the the whole setup down and hook it back up again :x . I'm going to try and find a bigger/stronger clip...maybe something like you see on a battery charger. It was super annoying. Must. Be. Fixed. :lol:

I'm pretty booked in the near future, so it might be next week before I make much more progress...
Last edited by toolbox on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

a blasting cabinet would be very beneficial for getting up close to things like the wings. That and aluminum oxide around 120 grit. That is what I use for doing firearms parts. Aluminum oxide unlike silica sand or glass beads leaves a very jagged surface for the finish to adhere to. However it is microscopic and feels smooth to the touch.
Also..you may want to invest in some of this.
https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-high-t ... -tape.html
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

5speed wrote:a blasting cabinet would be very beneficial for getting up close to things like the wings. That and aluminum oxide around 120 grit. That is what I use for doing firearms parts. Aluminum oxide unlike silica sand or glass beads leaves a very jagged surface for the finish to adhere to. However it is microscopic and feels smooth to the touch.
Also..you may want to invest in some of this.
https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-high-t ... -tape.html
That tape looks like it would come in really handy...I might have to pick some up. I've baked a lot of painters tape over the years when doing wrinkle paint...but that's only 200*. 400* is probably a different story :lol:
I think I might pick up one of those little spot blasters from HF this weekend...if it works at all, would be a lot easier to strip some of the odd shaped parts I want to PC. If it doesn't work, I'm only out like twenty bucks, and can go back to sanding :lol: . I've thought about getting a blasting cabinet many times over the years...thing keeping me from getting one now is the same issue as many other things...space :( . Well, the lack thereof lol. Someday I'd love to put a 30x40 shop where the car port is currently sitting, but I've got a lot of other things that need to get done to the house before I think about that...but if it ever happens I imagine I'll have to get a cabinet and all that.

Decided that the black paint was hard enough to try and at least do the eye...won't have time to mess with the mouth until next week anyway. Taped off the outline of the eye, which will leave a 1/8" outline around it. Then, I had to come up with a way to make the pupil... My attempts to cut out one didn't work very well, and my tape can't quite turn a radius that tight. So, I started looking around for circles I might be able to use...found these.

Just about exactly the right size, and made of plastic so paint can't bleed through...sounds like it will work.

So, even though these were adhesive backed, I didn't want to use that glue on my paint since I was just using it for a mask...so I sprayed the reflective side with my tacky glue. I used my eye pattern to position it. I put them down just slightly past the half way mark. Oh, and I also sanded the black with some 400 grit...

And after a couple of very light coats of primer...

I'll spray the white when I get off work tonight, and let it cure over the weekend. It's "Ivory Bisque"...same color as I used on the back of the saddle bag. Slightly off white, which I think fits with the whole vintage thing I have going on. Paint says it's cured in 24 hours, so by the time I have to tape it off next week it should be fine. Won't be able to post pics until Monday probably...hopefully my masking job works :shock: .
Last edited by toolbox on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

to bad you weren't closer. lol
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

this is retaliative to your interests. ;)
viewtopic.php?p=147071#p147071
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

5speed wrote:to bad you weren't closer. lol
Yea, it's unfortunate...I just checked google maps, and at a little over 3000 miles stopping by for a few minutes would be difficult :lol:
Last edited by toolbox on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

5speed wrote:this is retaliative to your interests. ;)
viewtopic.php?p=147071#p147071
Why yes...yes it is :mrgreen: . Interesting idea...I may have to see if I can make something similar workable, thanks!

And, as promised...pics on monday :). So, I sprayed the white like I was planning, gave it a little time to set up, and pulled the tape. The result? Well, here you go...

Looks good :). My masking job was about as good as I'm ever going to get it...really only had one issue--remember how I said I sanded the black with some 400 grit? About that...so, when I did that, it was after I masked the outline, but before I put down the round mask :oops: . Whoops...so dumb :lol: . Oh well, so it's got a kind of matt black pupil for now...not a big deal, I can hit it with a q-tip and some SSR2 polish and shine it right back up at some point. I'll give it some time, just to make sure the paint is as cured as it can be. Anyway, if that's the worst mistake I make on this part of the project, I'd say I'm doing ok :lol: .

So, up next is going to be taping up the next layer of the mouth, which will be the red parts... Clutch cable should also be here today, so hopefully I can get that in here shortly. Also picked up some cheapo (like the media was more than the blaster level of cheapo :lol: ) blasting stuff from HF this weekend, so hopefully I can give that a go here soon as well.
Last edited by toolbox on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

looking great. only 3000 miles..
I'll have the bbq fired up and the compressor. :)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

5speed wrote:looking great. only 3000 miles..
I'll have the bbq fired up and the compressor. :)
Might want to set the BBQ on "low"...it's going to take a few minutes to get there :mrgreen: .

New clutch cable arrived yesterday...

As advertised, it's an older NOS cable. The original Honda lube had solidified a bit, and it was actually really difficult to move...I sprayed some solvent down it in order to help break the old lube down, and it started to get easier and easier to move. I ordered some OEM Victory cable lube that should be here this week, and I'll wait until that's here to install it. I've found that just lubing old cables isn't enough...it really makes a big difference if you flush the old lube out first, and I guess even though the cable is new that still applies. Anyway, should be good to go soon.

Also mentioned that I picked up a media blaster from Horrible Freight...this is what I got:

I think it was $20 before my coupon...always use the coupon! :lol: . Here's what you get...

Blaster, and some useless instructions. Note that it doesn't include an air inlet, so you need to provide your own...which adds about $1.50 to the cost lol. Also picked up a box of walnut shells and a box of aluminum oxide powder.

I wasn't sure if the aluminum oxide would be too aggressive on the aluminum parts, so I thought I'd play it safe and get the walnut shells too...it's a 90 mile round trip to get something else, so it was actually cheaper just to get both rather than have to make another trip.

So, here's my mini-review of the Harbor Freight gravity feed media blaster...

I installed the air inlet, figured out which way the feed control worked, loaded it up with walnut shells and...proceeded to blow nothing but air at the parts I wanted to blast. Yep...zero feed :lol: :x :roll: . So, out of the box, it literally did not work. At all. This sort of thing really hits that sweet spot between frustration and disappointment :lol: . Now, I usually have pretty good luck with HF stuff, but sometimes even I get a lemon... So, I took it apart to see what the issue was. Here you go:

Yea, I don't know what the problem is :lol: . Hole is almost microscopic, and there's a piece of leftover plastic mold flashing stuffed in it. :roll: . So, I took out the O ring, the plastic, and drilled the hole out several sizes bigger.

End result? It works :) Here's the clutch lever before...

And after...

The walnut shells were too gentile for the factory finish (which is obviously very durable), but the aluminum oxide takes it right off. And 5 Speed--I now see exactly what you mean about the surface...I'll bet it's perfect for for a finish to grip to :).

Comparing the brake and clutch levers...

I didn't have a lot of time, so I was just basically experimenting to see how well this was going to work. Did one more piece...the clutch lever housing.

Before:

And after:

It works really well...having spent many years finishing this kind of thing by hand, I know exactly how much time I would have spent sanding this thing by hand in order to prep it. It's aluminium and a really odd shape, so there really isn't any other power tool that would strip it without destroying it. It would have been a pretty considerable effort to get it ready...with the blaster, it was like three or four minutes? Love it! :lol:

Anyway, for small jobs this thing will work fine. You'd want a lot more capacity for anything bigger than the parts I'm working with, but at least for this it works great. Well, after I finished manufacturing it anyway :lol: .

Lessons learned: I'm going to need a cabinet. Even that tupperware thing would probably work fine...just something to catch the old media would be great. It's not *that* expensive, but watching it just get blown away, I felt like I was watching dollar signs disappear into the driveway lol. There's also no such thing as "too much compressor"... It worked ok on the one I have, but for jobs any bigger than this I'd really be pushing it.

Anyway, should be really useful for small parts that need to be painted/PC'd.

Moving on...decided to work on the next parts of my artwork layout. The red layer is the next one that goes down, so I tried several different tongue shapes, and taped off a "gum line" that goes on the top. Then I started making some teeth...I really wanted to experiment with both the red and white so I could get some feel for how the tongue shape/gum line/tooth shape all work together. So, here's one set of teeth I was working on...

I actually painted my paper "tongue" red, so I could see what it looked like. I put tacky glue on the teeth, so they would stick, but could still be moved around...

You'll notice the upper line that would be red (above the teeth) is pretty thick...some of them were painted this way, but i was trying to figure out proportionally how big it should be. Now, this was like 11:30 at night, but I really wanted to see what it would look like on the bike...

Here you go--

Different angle--

I think it's pretty good, but I also wanted to try with shrinking the upper gum line...

I think that's better :). Subtle difference, but for whatever reason I think it's better. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what kind of shapes to use for the teeth...on the side, they're better with more of an angle, but when you round the corner of the front of the shelter, they have to become more vertical... Getting it to look right is mostly just a matter of eyeballing this stuff, so hopefully I get it right lol.

So, there was kind of a glue mess to clean up, but that beats having a paint mess to clean up :lol: . I might be able to mask and paint the red tonight... Here's the tongue pattern, and I saved the teeth for possible reuse.

More to come... :lol:

Last edited by toolbox on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Doing good! Will be fun to see when it is all done!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

That is looking fantastic...
Couple of pointers for the aluminum oxide.
Set your air pressure to around 40 psi max. It will do it's job but it will also give you more "mileage" out of your media.
Also..I always prebake anything I'm going to blast to cook out any oil, grease etc. I then wipe it down with gun wash (solvent for cleaning paint guns) if it has a lot of gunk on it.
Then I blast it, then wipe it down with the solvent..this time wearing nitrile or latex gloves to keep the oil from my hands getting on the metal.
Wear a respirator..this stuff creates a lot of dust.
A fyi type story.
When I bought the blasting cabinet I have now from the crown asset auction it came full of silica sand. To satisfy my curiosity I blasted a winchester model 94 I was refinishing with it.
It looked great as far as surface prep, the finish looked great after I baked it..and I proceeded to scratch it off with my finger nail. :-?
So..out came the silica sand and in went the aluminum oxide.
Attachments
gratuitous model 94 after pic.
gratuitous model 94 after pic.
20151104_142447.jpg (105.22 KiB) Viewed 180 times
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

wingrider wrote:Doing good! Will be fun to see when it is all done!
Thanks man! I'm pretty excited to see it all done too...there's still plenty of room to make a mess of it, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed :lol: