1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Re: 1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

Post by Sagebrush »

Those little rubber gaskets that go between the tank halves are impossible to obtain as well. Even back in the day they were part of the shelter assembly and to get new gaskets you had to order a whole new shelter. If yours were in good shape when you removed them you might consider moving them along to someone who needs them for a restoration.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

toolbox wrote:Don't have a pop rivet gun :oops: .
Image :mrgreen:
Last edited by 5speed on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Fa-reeeeek-in wild.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

:lol: You guys might remember that I've got a hardened steel rivet driver in my toolbox...the problem here is that it's just plain too big for the job :lol: .

I actually am going to stop by harbor freight today and see if they have something more appropriate in size to, er, fix the shelter :lol: .

Also made some more progress on the pattern for the art work...will post pics on Monday. I might be able to start taping on Monday night...
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

As promised, progress pics...

Got a start on doing the layout for the artwork. I scanned the eye that I made into the computer, and scaled it into a couple different sizes...I tried them out with the original mouth that I made.

This is the smaller one:

And the larger one:

I'm still going back and forth about which one I like better...the smaller one seems more balanced, the bigger one kind of makes the point better. My GF voted for the bigger one...I think that's the way I'm leaning right now too. It's more cartoonish...but then that might make it actually fit better with everything else :lol: .

Using the original mouth as a pattern, I traced it onto some kraft paper I have...it's actually packing paper, but works surprisingly well for this. It's pretty wide...the original mouth is made from two pieces because 11 1/2" inch wide paper isn't big enough. The packing paper is like 24", so it works great. Fairly thin too, so it conforms to the tank pretty well. Here's pattern number 2--

After staring at it for a while, I made some (fairly minor) changes to the shape, and made another pattern...

And finally, I added a piece that changes the slope of the front of it from a downward curve, to a more neutral (or slightly upward) curve:

Small change, but I think it makes a big difference. The large eye is installed in that picture.

And some wide shots...

I'm still diggin' the new profile of the mirrors :). Also stopped at horrible freight this weekend, and picked up a swivel head ratchet wrench thing set, an assorted pop rivet set, and a gun. I had the thought before I left that maybe I should cut one of the old ones out and measure it...but I didn't lol. So, I got the box of big-ish ones...hopefully one of those will work :lol: . Find out tonight I guess. Also got something I'd been thinking about getting, but never got around to...their powder coat setup. With a coupon, it was only $60...I figure that if it works at all, it will pay for itself in about one or two uses. I'll do a mini-review on it soon. Anyway, that's where I'm at...I'm planning on making at least one more pattern with the piece I added as a part of it. If I like that, I'll start taping with the pinstripe tape, and maybe get the patch of black laid down.
Last edited by toolbox on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

looks good. My vote is for the big eye too.
My only suggestion is..the back of the mouth needs to curl up a bit. It sort of looks like it's frowning right now..
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I think not about curling up. Do an image search for P-40 nose art and the ones that have the back of the mouth curl down or stay level are far more aggressive looking than the ones that curl up. After looking at several examples I like the proposed layout. Another vote for the big eye.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Sagebrush wrote:I think not about curling up. Do an image search for P-40 nose art and the ones that have the back of the mouth curl down or stay level are far more aggressive looking than the ones that curl up. After looking at several examples I like the proposed layout. Another vote for the big eye.
I was just trying to being a little joy into his wings life. :cry: :cry:
:mrgreen:
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

The wing says "thanks" for looking out for its emotional well being :mrgreen: . It also says that the real joy will come when the owner guy stops playing art class, and starts moving it down the road again :lol: . And I may not have risen to the level of "expert" on shark mouth nose art, but having spent a considerable amount of time staring at it, I would consider myself to at least be a connoisseur :lol: . They've been done with the end of it turned up, turned down, and more or less straight back...the ones that turn up, look like they have kind of an evil grin like the joker or something...turned down does look more agressive :o . Both can look good, just depends on what you're going for. Here I went just slightly down :).

More progress, but first a side note. I mentioned picking up the harbor freight powder coat setup this weekend. Reason why is I've been thinking about wanting a couple parts on the bike PC'd, and if this thing works at all, it would probably pay for itself in one or two uses. I had a lot I was trying to get done last night, but I really wanted to see if the thing worked...like, at all lol. So, I can post a longer review if anyone cares later, but you can call this "micro review".

So, here it is...

And here's what you get...

Powder coat gun, two cups, electro-static charger with foot pedal, and they even throw in a line filter. $60 out the door with a coupon.

Not wanting to spend a lot of time monkeying with it, I just sanded down a piece of metal from my junk bucket, and gave it go... I'd watched few videos looking for some tips, and my takeaway was that you want low air pressure (like 5-10psi), and you don't want any more powder in the cup than you really need to have. I hooked it all up, and gave it a go. I can tell that this is one of those things that will have small learning curve, but overall seems pretty simple. I coated my chunk of metal, and tossed it in my garage toaster oven.

Sooooo...does it work?

Yep :) . Not much to say about it...it's a powder coated piece of metal :lol: . Coverage looks good, the HF powder flowed together well...it's a smooth hard finish. Like any other metal finishing, I'm sure the results are highly dependent on the prep work... Anyway, the thing seems to work just fine. Once I get the technique worked out, the only limit to what can be coated will be the size of the oven... Speaking of, what I really wanted this for was to do my handlbars. The paint looks great, but it's already got a scratch on it where I can see the metal...my concern is they're going to get beat up from normal wear and tear and end up looking really ugly. So, my goal is make an oven big enough to cook them...I'm not going to spend much money on something like that, but believe me...I've got some ideas on how to make one :lol: .

On to the bike. So, I mentioned I needed to rivet the shelter...here's the problem--

The rivets on two of these had lost their grip, and so the frame for the gasket wasn't sitting as low as it should be. Now, I mentioned originally just thinking about using a bolt there...reason is, I actually kind of hate pop rivets. Yes, they can have their uses...like this toolbox I made in shop class when I was 15:

We had to make these from scratch so we could learn how to use a sheet metal shear and brake. Unfortunately, this is about the only good use of pop rivets I've seen in the intervening years...usually, it's when I'm grinding old bondo off a car, and find someone riveted a patch patch panel onto it, and then buttered nice thick layer of bondo over it :x . Or, the other classic...the truck with an old stop sign or something riveted over the Fred Flintstone floorboards :IDTS: . Anyway, generally not a fan...but in this case, it's what the factory used, and space turned out to be so limited it would be difficult to do anything else actually. Had a heck of a time getting the old ones out, but eventually did...new ones are in.

Moving on to my pattern, I made some minor changes and this is where I came out...

Made some minor changes to the top line. Drew some teeth on it, in order to get an idea of how the size would work. Here's the completed patterns...

Went with the big eye :). Then, it was on to applying it and taping it... Didn't get many pics here...too busy measuring lol. Here's the first mouth outline.

Finding reference points on something with virtually no hard edges was...challenging :lol: . But, I figured it out. Here it is, mostly taped up:

Looks like it's going to take up wrestling as a hobby :lol: . So, I'm going to shoot light coat of primer, and then the black. Then, more tape for the red on the mouth, and the white of the eye...
Last edited by toolbox on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

I've been thinking about trying the powder coat thing myself. I'm fortunate in that I already have a media blasting cabinet and big oven for my firearm refinishing hobby.
I want to do the same as you..powder coat some parts on my builds.
I can get the exact system you did from our version of HF..
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8634230e
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

5speed wrote:I've been thinking about trying the powder coat thing myself. I'm fortunate in that I already have a media blasting cabinet and big oven for my firearm refinishing hobby.
Shoot man, if you've got a blasting cabinet and an oven, you're 95% of the way there already :). And yea, that's the exact same unit...I've seen it sold under the Grizzly name on Amazon for $99 (that one is finished in green). Hope you can find it cheaper though :shock: .
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

Got a coat of primer on the shelter on my lunch break...

No going back now :lol: . Looks like it came out fine...had one edge at the very bottom lift, so I may need to go back and do
a tiny touchup...we'll see. Should be dry enough to put a coat of black on tonight. The stuff dries really quickly, but I'll probably let it dry overnight since I have to tape over it...don't want to risk it lifting when I pull the tape.
Last edited by toolbox on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

toolbox wrote:
5speed wrote:I've been thinking about trying the powder coat thing myself. I'm fortunate in that I already have a media blasting cabinet and big oven for my firearm refinishing hobby.
Shoot man, if you've got a blasting cabinet and an oven, you're 95% of the way there already :). And yea, that's the exact same unit...I've seen it sold under the Grizzly name on Amazon for $99 (that one is finished in green). Hope you can find it cheaper though :shock: .
Eastwood sells a nice beginners kit for a better price..
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

5speed wrote:
toolbox wrote:
Eastwood sells a nice beginners kit for a better price..
I checked out their stuff...better price :). Heard good things about their kit too...would probably be a great way to go.
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

Got a little more done... Sprayed the black on it yesterday after work.

Decided to pull the tape sooner rather than later, so I wouldn't have any issues with damaging it later.

No need to remove the entire tape ball obviously. Looks pretty good, lines came out nice and sharp. I do like the 3M pinstripe tape. The one little front corner where the tape started to lift didn't end up being an issue after all, so that was nice. According to the can, recoat times are within one hour, or after seven days for it to be fully cured...looking at my schedule, it might actually be that long before I can get to it lol. Which is fine...I'll take a little longer to get it done in order to minimize the chance I mess it up :lol: .

The eye is going to be really easy...I'll just run the pinstripe tape around the outside edge, and mask off the pupil. Then just paint what's left white...leaving a white eye with a black outline and black pupil.

The mouth is going to have a black outline, then a red line up top (maybe tapered, bigger toward the front), and the red for the tongue...then the teeth painted on white after that. Taping the teeth might be kind of time consuming, but should be too bad.

While I'm waiting, I may have a little time to mess with my powder coating...for small stuff, my garage toaster oven works fine. Going to need something a little bigger for the handlebars though :lol: . So, having ruminated over this for a couple of days, I think I may have worked out (at least in my head) plans for the worlds cheapest powder coat oven...big enough for my bars and other assorted big-ish parts. I think I have pretty much everything I need already, making it basically free...although I may spring the $10 necessary for a BBQ thermometer off Amazon in order to keep from pirating the one off my own grill lol. In the tradition of much of my backyard engineering, it won't be handsome, but should be handy :mrgreen: . If I had a nice shop with a lot of room, I'd probably go ahead and build something nice and semi-permanent...but given what I have now, it just makes more sense to make something that will just get the job done and can be tossed out back or in the shed when not in use. Anyway, details to come...
Last edited by toolbox on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.