1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: 1982 GL1100 Corpse resurrection...er restoration...

Post by wingrider »

Glad to see you are still at the project!!! Just keeps getting better!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

Quoting Toolbox Post #510...."...I don't actually disagree, lol. Truth is...." You are 100% right on the possibilities too. A very impressive build, a kind of hypnotic spell is cast, similar to how at sunset the crickets begin their chirrups and the mind begins to dream for more...Cheers.... :tfh Sundance.
type1 https://www.facebook.com/One.Ton.Ron action1
1984 KZ1000 P dresser, SOLD. anim-cheers1
"Imagination is a prerequisite for knowledge.
The artifact is needed to comprehend." :arrow: Sundance. :flamer :flamer
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Sundance wrote:Quoting Toolbox Post #510...."...I don't actually disagree, lol. Truth is...." You are 100% right on the possibilities too. A very impressive build, a kind of hypnotic spell is cast, similar to how at sunset the crickets begin their chirrups and the mind begins to dream for more...Cheers.... :tfh Sundance.

Dude, a little too poetic to follow....
Last edited by BikeMaine on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

toolbox wrote:
BikeMaine wrote:My '82 1100 weeps when the temp is below about 40*F. (It's been 23 below zero three mornings in a row here)

Anyway, toolbox, I've said it numerous times, but man, you're doing a great job on this bike. I really enjoy watching your attention to detail and how your imagination is working. Great job, any chance you have some "full view" up to date photos of her? The bike that is....
Dang man, that's chilly :shock: . I love that feeling of your eyelashes freezing when you get down into those temps lol. The winter here wasn't too bad until the last few weeks...it's been bouncing around, getting as cold as a couple degrees above 0, up into the 20s. Got a bunch of snow, but then nothing...it's just been grey/foggy/cold. Just generally kind of miserable :lol: . Where I grew up, when there wasn't a storm blowing we had lots of blue skies and sun...it might be -15*, but at least it looked really pretty outside lol. It's also looking like I might have to sacrifice some of the logs I set aside for building stuff with...I'm getting low enough on firewood that I can tell it won't be enough. Better get to sharpening a few chains up :oops: . And I really appreciate the vote of confidence :). I'm pretty happy with how it's all coming together...hoping the last few details come together as nicely as the rest of it lol. Don't have any wide shots unfortunately...there's not enough room in the garage to take one really, and I haven't pushed her out into the driveway in quite a while. I might run it one of these days...I can try and get one then.

Yeah, the eyelashes and even my nostrils quick-freeze when I sniffle.

I hear you about the firewood going fast. I'll be cutting a few this weekend, just about everybody that I know up here uses a wood stove for heat and we're all going to come up short.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

Winter Update 4.1

Had a couple of hours to monkey with the bike last night, and made some more progress... Decided to finally wire up the side lights, and see how far I could get with that. Now, originally I was thinking that I would need to have a disconnect between the wiring in the lid and the side lights, and so I used that plug from the fairing and the wires that went with it...I'm not sure what I was planning there :lol: . I guess at that stage I hadn't fully thought it through anyway. Fact is, the relay that runs them is attached to the frame, and the output of that is what needs go to the side lights...so it just made a whole lot more sense to hard-wire those connections together. So, first thing I did was cut out that connector :oops: . Oh well. Then I attached my H4 plugs to the wires I'd strung in there...

Right side...

Soldering in there was pretty awkward, but like anything else, you make it work lol. Then, installed the LED lamp/bulb assembly that I'd put together last fall...

Same thing on the left side...

And with both installed...

Then, I spent probably the better part of an hour sorting and soldering wires up top. Took my big 12V NIMH battery pack and used that to test the wiring...you know, just to make sure I'd gotten all the color codes recorded correctly, not because I was dying to see them lit up on the bike :lol: .

Then, I finished tying everything together up top...I ran the grounds to the accessory terminal in the fuse block since it was right there. I was able to stuff the wires in front of the air box, so it should be pretty clean up there. Right now there are only two wires left to hook up...the trigger wire for the relay, and the hot wire from the headlight, and both of those will connect to the switch panel when that gets put together. For the final test, I just hooked them together, so the high beam switch would trigger the relay and turn on the side lights. Hooked up the batter to the power terminals on the bike, and turned the key...

party2 Success!! It now has locomotive mode :lol: . It's crazy the amount of light that throws out there...it really lit up my whole driveway lol. It was really neat switching them on and off with the high beam switch...I think that even though the switch panel will give it other controls, that's what it'll end up being 99% of the time. Like high beam deluxe haha.
There was precipitation coming down, it was dark and getting colder at that point, so I bagged it for the night. Making good progress though... Oh, and I ran the tracking number on my lid again--it was just handed off to USPS yesterday :roll: . I'm really not a fan of Fedex Smartpost...I think it's Stupidpost lol. Seriously, they shipped it on January 2 (8 days ago), and it's still probably three or four days from getting here. Next time someone says that's how it'll be shipped, I'll offer to pony up whatever the difference is to get it sent priority mail... Anyway, not a ton more I can do until that gets here and I can start sanding/marking/cutting. Got one more trim ring to refinish, but I'm not sure painting in this weather is a great idea. Might try and get the paint design for the shelter worked out though.
Last edited by toolbox on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

I can't figure out why I can't see your photos, everybody else's photos come through?
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
twowings
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by twowings »

Photos look fine here. That's a lot of lighting. Good thing there LED's.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Addicted to Honda's
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

twowings wrote:Photos look fine here. That's a lot of lighting. Good thing there LED's.
It's weird, it only does it once in awhile and only with certain photos.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I had triple lights on my 1100s but I wired them differently than yours. I had the aux lights wired to a dedicated switch and aimed them to be low (adjacent with the low beam headlight) and slightly to the right for the right hand light and low left for the left side light. I used them with either the high or low beams and aimed correctly never had a problem with oncoming drivers flashing me for too bright headlights when on low beam. Aimed that way they filled the area to either side of the low beam headlight a produced a fuller light field which helped to illuminate anything alongside the road that a single light will not illuminate, when I switched to high beams its like I never lost the closer light field produced while in low beam. When you get the bike on the road you may want to experiment with this. I found that it really made a huge difference no matter which beam I had selected.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

Sagebrush wrote:I had triple lights on my 1100s but I wired them differently than yours. I had the aux lights wired to a dedicated switch and aimed them to be low (adjacent with the low beam headlight) and slightly to the right for the right hand light and low left for the left side light. I used them with either the high or low beams and aimed correctly never had a problem with oncoming drivers flashing me for too bright headlights when on low beam. Aimed that way they filled the area to either side of the low beam headlight a produced a fuller light field which helped to illuminate anything alongside the road that a single light will not illuminate, when I switched to high beams its like I never lost the closer light field produced while in low beam. When you get the bike on the road you may want to experiment with this. I found that it really made a huge difference no matter which beam I had selected.
Interesting...I'll have to play around with them once it's on the road. The main reason I wanted to add these was to get more light off to the sides...there's so many deer up here, that they're a bigger danger than the traffic on a lot of the back roads I like to ride (along with the skunks, porcupines, turkeys, and assorted other critters). When the switch plate is fully wired, I'll have the option to either have them high beam switched, or just manually switched (ign. switched power, plate switched on or off)...you're right though, if I aim them so they don't go above the level of the headlight, they probably wouldn't be an issue with just using them regularly. The buckets have a pretty big range of adjustment, so I should be able to put them pretty much wherever I want...just need to find a level surface with a wall I can use lol. My driveway slopes way too much to use my garage door, so I have to ride into town somewhere to aim everything.
Last edited by toolbox on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

twowings wrote:Photos look fine here. That's a lot of lighting. Good thing there LED's.
Yea, a couple of silver stars would probably have the stock charging system begging for mercy :lol: . Everything on the bike is LED now, except the little bulbs that light up the gauges...it's probably drawing less current now than back in the '80s when it was decked out with a tape player and bunch of other extra lights and things :).
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I used my garage door for a reference but I wasn't able to tell for sure what I had until I road tested. I spent several evenings after dark getting them right but once I had them adjusted correctly they were great.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

Sagebrush wrote:I used my garage door for a reference but I wasn't able to tell for sure what I had until I road tested. I spent several evenings after dark getting them right but once I had them adjusted correctly they were great.
When I put a pair of KC daylighters on my truck, I just ended up aiming them in the middle of this big field lol. I'll probably try and use a wall to get the headlight about where the law says it should be, and then go from there. I know where there's a short stretch of dead end road that nobody uses, and I can park there and just take my time to get the side lights dialed in...hopefully get them about where they need to be without too much fuss or adjustment later.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

BikeMaine wrote:
are you getting that photobucket third party hosting image?
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

5speed wrote:
BikeMaine wrote:
are you getting that photobucket third party hosting image?
But everybody else that I look at, the photos are there. Only problem is when toolbox puts the on, but just his recent posts.

This is what it looks like when toolbox posts photos lately......
no photo.png
no photo.png (252.6 KiB) Viewed 145 times
Kevin
1982 GL1100A