King_Coopr's "Project" Log

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: King_Coopr's "Project" Log

Post by King_Coopr »

Yay another up date. I ordered the bolts I need from Honda so while I wait for them to come in I started working on the seat. First cut the original seat pan so I could use the original brackets to secure it. Then rough cut down the foam to about what I wanted it to look like....still haven't settled on the shape yet. Then I'm going to have to glue a few spots and thought about taping it with masking tape to make it a little firmer but still maintain its comfort.

Oh and also got a tire and it mounted for free!! It's not the perfect size but it will do for pushing it around the garage.
Attachments
Rough seat pan
Rough seat pan
0422161816.jpg (80.32 KiB) Viewed 313 times
Rough seat cushion
Rough seat cushion
0425161228~2.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 313 times
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

I had bought headlight fork ears for my cb450 headlight and they don't fit my fork tubes at all....way too small. Is there a certain type I should be looking for? What do u guys use?
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

You need to measure your fork diameter...I believe the forks on a 1200 are 41mm, not sure what is out there, but aftermarket should have what you are looking for.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Aside from the moly 77 is there any other grease I can use for the shaft and axle also what can I use for final drive fluid?
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

King_Coopr wrote:Aside from the moly 77 is there any other grease I can use for the shaft and axle also what can I use for final drive fluid?
The Honda moly paste isn't exactly grease...it's mostly molybdenum disulfide (moly) with a greasy binder (IIRC the Honda 60 was 60%, so I'd assume the Honda 77 is higher). I have a can of moly powder that I use as a dry lube...it coats parts and sticks to them unlike graphite, and is also a lot slicker. Wherever Honda recommends using that stuff, it's probably best to stick to it...I think they use it because Moly can handle pressures that a typical grease can't, while still providing lubrication (because it's the moly that's actually lubricating the metal, not just a petro grease).

The final drive just uses regular 80/90 gear oil. I would recommend using a synthetic based on my past experience with many manual gearboxes and transfer cases. After using Royal Purple in the 5 speed in my Contour SVT, I think I'll get that for the Wing when it's time...I'm a skeptic at heart, and I don't believe in snake oil cures for mechanical problems, but the car honestly shifts smoother and runs quieter than it did before (enough that I noticed an immediate difference). So, based on that, I'm probably going to use their stuff in that too...if it helps great, if not at least I figure it can't hurt anything lol.
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Thanks yeah that helps I couldn't find any moly 77 at the local parts store. I guess I'll have to check around a few places
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

You might try the local Honda dealer... If they don't have it, eBay and Amazon should.
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

After trying and trying I realized I have the wrong rear spline...For some reason I thought I could use the one from the 1200 but I need the one from the 1500. Checked eBay and prices are all over the place from 35 to 99 before shipping! Unfortunately I'm so broke it don't make cents. If anyone has only laying around they'd trade for a kidney or an arm or something let me know ;)
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

I bought a few things and tried to get them on the bike today....tried...starting to think I was never meant for motorcycles. Everything I buy ends up being the wrong thing and it's getting frustrating. The "new" wheel is from a gl1500. I've bought everything off of the how to for the 1500 swap. Seems like there's an issue/not enough space. Any words of wisdom? Advice?
Attachments
Out with the old in with the new
Out with the old in with the new
IMG_1018.JPG (149.45 KiB) Viewed 219 times
IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1019.JPG (195.8 KiB) Viewed 219 times
IMG_1021.JPG
IMG_1021.JPG (192.75 KiB) Viewed 219 times
When I put on the axel will this press in??
When I put on the axel will this press in??
IMG_1025.JPG (192.69 KiB) Viewed 219 times
Bolt sticks out and looks like shock will be an issue
Bolt sticks out and looks like shock will be an issue
IMG_1026.JPG (180.5 KiB) Viewed 219 times
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Often when non stock items are put on a bike,....some creative thinking has to come in play. Looks like that might be the case
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Re-checked the how to and that bolt needs to be ground down...now I'm just worried about the bottom of the shock once the rotor is on
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

The little I remember of the swaps was you need the 1500 brake stay along with the wheel. On mine, I have to have tire/wheel mounted to the final drive, then roll the final drive up to mate with the driveshaft-- not easy. Maybe which final drive off, it will be easier to get them to mesh. I believe I cut a little bit off that pin. It's the brake stay that needs to be ground down quite a bit.

The two hubs, wheel hub and final drive hub need to go together closer than what yours shows, I think. There's a good post at Saunders on it with detailed pictures.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Yeah I've had a hard time finding the post with pictures...seems most are old posts and not working any longer. I know the brake caliper mounting brackets need to be ground down some.

I think I will try taking off the final drive then mounting the tire and final drive on together.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... l1200.html

CrystalPistol has good pics. If you post on the above site, he usually helps out.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Thanks! After playing the "I forgot my password" game I was able to reset it and see the pictures that were posted...and saved them.

Now that it's getting a little warmer here in MI I've got the itch to work on this again. Would like to get her rideable this year. I don't have a lot to accomplish but lack of knowledge makes it a snails pace.