Dad's Bike...a new build...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Dad's Bike...a new build...

Post by irishcarbomb »

thought it'd be time for an update on dad's bike since we're coming up on a year since he's had it....

i was in florida back in april for a week on the beach and was able to see dad for a bit...the bike was doing well after about 6 months in his hands.

the day i was supposed to leave he called me and said that it wouldn't start, so i rushed over to check it out. after some diagnostics i realized that the stator bolt had backed out an wedged itself in the rear cover...luckily this happened while the bike was idling in the driveway and not on the road.

long story short i ordered him a new rear engine cover and coached him through the engine removal (with the help of the tutorials in shoptalk)....luckily there was no internal damage, presumably because this happened at idle..he was able to pull the engine, swap parts from the old rear cover, and reinstall. it took a few months for him to find the free time but as of yesterday we are back to a running/riding motorcycle.

i told him to be sure to torque down that stator bolt and he got it all back together. we definitely dodged a catastrophe and luckily were able to get things repaired.

he reports that everything is working as was prior to the breakdown which is great...

just adds to the build that not only was i able to piece this together from a box of parts, but now dad has learned how to work on his old 'wing. he's already talking about an alternator conversion this winter!

thanks for following, just thought i'd share...

Just goes to show...Double, triple, even quadruple check that stator bolt...i thought i had it tight but apparently not enough.

the moment of success caught by my step mom
dad.jpg
dad.jpg (55.72 KiB) Viewed 235 times
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Dad's Bike...a new build...

Post by ericheath »

Cool.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi