Never Ever B4 seen photos of a Goldwing

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Never Ever B4 seen photos of a Goldwing

Post by Patriccio »

Right after my stress-relieving Monday not-too-early bicycle ride, I inspected the scooter.
20180618_135622.jpg
20180618_135622.jpg (81.08 KiB) Viewed 368 times
20180618_135848.jpg
20180618_135848.jpg (122.76 KiB) Viewed 368 times
All fuses under shelter are fine. Dog bone fuse OK, & I sniffed around the new starter relay switch for malodorous evidence of electrical gremlins. I really stuck my nose in there, too, just like a husky dog might do when he's looking for trouble. I sniffed nothing.
As you can see in the pics, the connection to the new starter has fried. The plastic has melted. Perhaps that terminal is too close to the exhaust headers. Perhaps that is what happened to the previous starter motor. I put the trickle charger on the battery, but so far it's not registering as viable. I'll give it a few hours then test it.
Oil level is fine. The coolant in the radiator is up to proper level, also.

I'm off to work.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Another shot of the terminal before I removed the lead.
20180618_135334.jpg
20180618_135334.jpg (77.53 KiB) Viewed 366 times
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

I'm no electrical gremlin hunter..but to me that looks like it shorted out inside the starter..
The stud doesn't have any marks on it and if the rubber cover was in place it wouldn't have arced.
Plus all the black goo coming out from around the stud further supports my amateur assumption.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Yea, the black boot was in place. I'll probably call Nations Starter & Alternator tomorrow morning & see what's what. I'm also going to check to see if the motor turns over. I'll check their web site to see if they have other motors w/ the terminal in a different location.
ciao
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

If the header had melted it, it would have also melted the rubber cover?..

also, since your budget has been eaten by an electrical gremlin...

http://www.thisisinsider.com/cheap-aldi ... rld-2018-6

I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

It's been a horrible week.

First, I couldn't locate the scotch sunnbobb recommended. Some places I checked were out of stock (Aldi), or my local purveyor does not carry it. That 8-year-old Highland Black has been difficult to locate & purchase.
Also, I'm out of scotch.

Second, twice this week I had to get out of bed before 11 a.m. Wednesday this week I wrastled my self out of slumber to join friends on a fifty mile bicycle ride over hill 'n dale, lots & lots of hill 'n dale w/ these guys. They are the Quadriceps Kings of San Diego. As you can see, they didn't kill me, & I even did another bike ride yesterday. I was going to ride this morning, but the authoritative weather voice of the NOAA website said something like, "Hot. Stay in bed, Patrick." Something like the crack of three or fours hours too early, I heard the distinctive chugga-chugga of a large lawn mower starting up a block away. That meant the HOA Directed landscapists were to mow the grounds today; and that means they follow up w/ my least favorite invention--the leaf blower.

I needed a cuppa Joe in one hand & a 10 mm box wrench in the other. After dousing the cobwebs all around my head with cold water from indoor plumbing, I stumbled downstairs to realize my dream of coffee & wrench. I had to recollect my thoughts because I had one in the truck the other day.

I was screaming along on the concrete highway in my 17-year-old pick up, & I had Paganini's violin concerto in D minor shaking the whole cab. Decibels were very high so I could hear the nuances of the violin; think Eddie Van Halen playing a violin. With the all-important volume at a level just below pain, I was ruminating about the Puppy. "I have an electrical gremlin," I thought.
That's as far as I got because of the piercing violin nearly shattering my state-mandated safety glass surrounding the cab.

The new starter motor is in, & this morning I checked as many electrical connections as possible with my nose. I installed the shifter lever & the exhaust & tried to connect the battery. Now, the battery had drained during the stress period, so I jumped it w/ my truck battery for a bit then placed it on the trickle charger. Monday evening the multimeter read 12.53 & this morning before installation it read 12.36.
With the positive connected I tried to connect the ground. The starter started grinding. Key wasn't even in the ignition. I opened the kill switch compartment, found nothing unusual. As you may recall, the starter relay solenoid is new, so I"m thinking the kill switch or the ignition switch is bad.
Electrical gremlin continues to baffle me.
Still out of scotch.
Life continues.
Nothing better to do than CRANK IT UP! Buffalo Springfield: For What It's Worth
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Okay..so just listened to Paganini's violin concerto in D minor and I'm not hearing Eddie in there anywhere.. :-?
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

ohmanohmanohman, now I hafta search for the version I have on the i-Pod in my truck. I think the full concerto is about 40 minutes long, & I have a snippet on the upgraded musical storage device in the truck. I'm just actually comparing the virtuosity of the playing & composition to Eddie's virtuosity on the electric guitar. I can play Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water or Paganini at max level in the truck. I just watch for John Law & that right lead foot while the music blasts.

Anyone have advice on the electrical gremlin? Now that 5speed made me think, I'm thinking that I could by pass the kill switch & install another ignition switch. That is if I can make sense of the electrical diagram I have stenciled onto my bedtime pillow so some of that knowledge is absorbed during the night.
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

I'm not an electrical expert, but I would start by disconnecting the ignition switch and then connect the ground to see if the starter spins again. I don't think by passing the kill switch is a good idea unless absolutely necessary.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Last edited by chewy999 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
hatchward
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by hatchward »

]Don't assume the starter solenoid is still good just because it's new.It sounds to me like the contacts are welded closed.I would check it.Best of luck with the scotch as well.Cheers
Attachments
IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1692.JPG (83.82 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Last edited by hatchward on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
1982 GL1100 Std - Daily Driver
1982 GS750SZ Katana - Mostly Unmolested
1998 Valkyrie - Latest Aquisition
1984 GL1200 Aspencade - Undecided Project
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

hatchward wrote:]Don't assume the starter solenoid is still good just because it's new.It sounds to me like the contacts are welded closed.I would check it.Best of luck with the scotch as well.Cheers[attachment=0]IMG_1692.JPG[/attachment
That's a good idea and easy to check. Hopefully you have a meter. Disconnect the ground and positive cables from the solenoid. Set the meter to the ohms setting and put the meter to the two 'studs' on the solenoid. If it shows no resistance the solenoid is faulty.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

I now have scotch.
20180708_195524.jpg
20180708_195524.jpg (91.5 KiB) Viewed 267 times
I also have a new starter relay solenoid on the way from Chippewa Lake, Ohio.
It's been hovering around one hundred degrees here the last few days (38 Celsius), so I think it's time for a shot 'n a beer.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

I bought another starter solenoid relay, but I've not installed it yet because over a week ago the thing called the Summer
Influenza knocked me out of commission for a week. I'm now up & about but unable to handle tools w/ dexterity. Unable to consume scotch w/ pleasure because the olfactory nerves & taste buds have been nearly decimated by a virus. All the usual & unwelcome symptoms appeared slowly & surely & quickly put me down into the comfort of the bed. There was nothing to do but watch program after program on Netflix & eat ice cream. It was not fun.
5speed, spreadable scotch whiskey, really? Sounds good. It could work on a hot bagel in the morning.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

sorry to hear you've been down with a bug..
hopefully you shake it and yes..I think that "jam" would go great on bagel's, toast, crackers, bologna..
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member