Never Ever B4 seen photos of a Goldwing

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Re: Never Ever B4 seen photos of a Goldwing

Post by sunnbobb »

If that doesnt work, pm me, I'll will take a just-for-you trip into the dungeon of forgotten goldwing parts and see if I have a housing I can send you.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

If Super Glue doesn't work, & if JB Weld doesn't work, then I think mankind just may be doomed to mediocrity.
I let the glue set overnight, even though it's Super Glue, & this afternoon I tightened the bolts slowly, very slowly, & I thought I had it when I heard that little "crick" when the glue snaps.
When I was at the big box store looking for glue, Super Glue, epoxy & stuff, I happened to notice a 3/8" 8 amp drill that matched my brand new 50' extension cord. It was pointing right at me, it was yellow, so I bought it.
Moving on to the next idea . . .
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
Goboy
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member
My Album: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=60678

Post by Goboy »

I think we stole your Cali heat, it was 80 here today. Now check if that cyanoacrylate works below 60 degrees ?
You're too small to ride a hog Billy!

Mike
1978 GL1000
Previous bikes: 05 Yamaha FJR 1300, 79 Suzuki GS 1000, 75 Yamaha XS 650, 73 Kawasaki S2 350
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

As I was sayin' I was nearly at the end when the Puppy refused to cooperate. Man, I've got parts rustin' out that I buffed out four years ago, & I am so close; but the switch refused to work. I was about to quit (not at my wit's end because that's impossible, according to my mother RIP). I was about to load that Puppy into the truck, drive down to the Coronado Bridge (the very biggest bridge here in San Diego, Ca.), and heave it into the bay. I had to think that one through because the Puppy is rather hefty. I'd have to lift weights for, what, five years in order to actually lift it from the bed of the truck & heave it over the guard rail into the bay? In order to achieve that goal, I would have to become Sergio Oliva, the Myth, the greatest, above all, the the greatest body builder forever, in perpetuity, forever. Were Sergio here he could lift the Puppy & walk it down to the Coronado Bridge & toss it into the bay. Sergio Oliva RIP. I hope he & my mother are having some little chit-chat about me right about now.
Then I was saved from all that lifting by Richard (sunnbobb) or is it Sunnbobb (Richard)? Anyway, on Monday I received a switch in the mail. Richard sent me a switch. Saved the day.
Tonight was so busy at that freakin' pizzeria that I'm now wired, really wired, so wired I had to dismantle something, anything. That switch was right there on the kitchen table, & so I dismantled it. First, actually, I dismantled it outside on the Procrastinator's Patio Shop this afternoon before work. I was removing the circlip when it sprung into circlip heaven, never ever ever ever to be recovered. Too many words for that teeny circlip. I'm going right to pics.
The Mighty Innards of that Switch on the right side. Circlip attaches to the shaft.
P6090502.JPG
P6090502.JPG (77.37 KiB) Viewed 332 times
[(This pic important. I don't know why.)]
[attachment=0]P6090505.JPG[/attachment
On that little shaft there lies a circlip that keeps the switch body in the thinga-ma-jig. As Sugs knows, I now have to travel to Marshall's Hardware to find a circlip that size. Should the gods & goddesses, Sergio & my mother grant me a blessing to find a circlip, I should be able to swap out the switch housing & continue into bliss.
Attachments
P6090505.JPG
P6090505.JPG (79.16 KiB) Viewed 332 times
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
Goboy
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Goboy »

Ping! Yeah "been there done that" trying to get the circlip on my driveshaft. Three lessons learned: wear safety glasses, have several extra clips on hand or a sniffing circlip dog and have the right size tips on the pliers helps. :roll:

Mike
1978 GL1000
Previous bikes: 05 Yamaha FJR 1300, 79 Suzuki GS 1000, 75 Yamaha XS 650, 73 Kawasaki S2 350
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

I had exactly none of those tools. The radio was blasting, the beers were handy, the needle nose pliers worked perfectly right up until the point where the circlip lifted up & out of my consciousness or peripheral vision.
I had another circlip on the original switch. The one I lost is probably somewhere in the lithosphere or that part of Procrastinator's Patio Shop where you need a jungle guide to see your way through.
A couple more connections, a couple more pics, a couple more tantrums--and I'll be done w/ the switch.

Time for chocolate & coffee . . .
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Uh oh! Harley Davidson is trying to buy Ducati from VW/Audi! Shocks run through the gas lines!

On a lighter note, I'm getting closer to street legal. I had all my felonies expunged, my indictments quashed, my under-wear washed & insurance paid for. Now, it's up to the DMV to do its duty.
Biz at the pizzeria is slower than a dead jack rabbit riding a dead turtle's shell on a sand dune somewhere in a desert.
Goboy
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Goboy »

You know what this means......nothin, well actually you may be able to pick your new Harcati from the local Harley dealer :lol: and no the Harcati is not an Indian import. :lol:

Good luck at the DMV and off you go :crosso :crosso :crosso

Mike
1978 GL1000
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

I've fallen into the black hole of the State. Nearly devoured completely, I am trying to crawl out of its grasp, but it is ravenous with desire to consume. When I purchased insurance for the Puppy, I noticed a gut-punching one line in the docs. It said I had a speeding ticket from August 2014. That means my other insurance company has probably been over charging me for the error. That means I had less money for beer & less money for the Puppy!

Today I stopped into the nearly omniscient Superior Court to see how they would treat me. Once I undressed & slipped through the metal detector, I aimed for the kindest face in the vicinity. She was neatly ensconced behind bullet-proof glass. I explained the situation. Unarmed, except for the State's computer, she typed furiously into its guts. "Yep, you have a speeding ticket." But I already knew that. I already had in my possession DMV docs. "I'm going to send you down to Room 207." "Noooooooooooo, not 207!" I thought. A lifetime ago I had to go to Room 207, and it took me hours, days, weeks to extricate myself from the business office. I think I might still be there trying to complete the 1985 business.

Today there was one person in line. Five minutes for a wait, & I was speaking to a real, bona fide court clerk. She was nice! And she wasn't surrounded w/ bullet-proof glass. With my best cleanly-shaven college boy smile, I explained my situation. She, too, typed furiously into the State's computer. I gave her my drivers license, & she typed some more. "Yep, you have a speeding ticket." The bad news again from the State's guts.

And then the good news. "But it's not from this court system." The ticket was written in Del Norte county, about a zillion miles from San Diego, Ca. It's up by the Oregon border, almost near the Arctic Circle. I gave her my puppy dog sad face, & she gave to me the phone & fax numbers of the court office in Crescent City, Ca.

I called the court in Crescent City & onto the line came Miss Cheery. She was so cheery one would think she had just received a puppy or a kitten from her boyfriend or husband; or maybe she received flowers from an admirer. Again I explained the situation, & I could hear her typing into the State's computer, looking throughout its intestines for a clue regarding this mishap. "Yep, you have a speeding ticket, " she said. "It's from August 2014. Patrick Daniel--"
"But I'm Patrick Edward, named after Uncle Ed, who used to work as a supervisor on the Panama Canal, & who used to regale us w/ stories of the work after 4 to 6 beers." "Yes. Alabama drivers license?" No, I'm in San Diego. I told her about the State's form. The Driver License Record Correction Request (Traffic Violations/Convictions Only). And it says on the form, "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT SENDING THE FORM without the appropriate documents prepared by the court." "How do I initiate the process to obtain the documents," I said. "You just did. We'll start this today. Check back next Wednesday or Thursday to see if it has been rectified."

I thanked her & almost melted because now I believe I love the State. I love Big Brother, & I think I'll be changing my name to Winston, change my birth year to 1984 & buy t-shirts that say "I Love Big Brother. I Shall Obey."
Wait, maybe I shouldn't order the t-shirts until next Thursday.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

LOL

1978 Learning Experience
palepainter
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by palepainter »

A friend of mine has this one. I have not seen it published other than Facebook.
wing1.jpg
wing1.jpg (92.25 KiB) Viewed 170 times
wing2.jpg
wing2.jpg (85.51 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Nice. And your friend is running a single carb setup.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

I've fallen into the maw of the State. I mailed all the pertinent docs to the California Department of Motor Vehicles on June 22, 2017. Tags & docs have not arrived.
It's like waiting for the McGregor/Mayweather fight to begin. Fight Night, 8:40, no commencement.
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

zzzzzzzzzzz
Attachments
ob.jpg
ob.jpg (8.89 KiB) Viewed 128 times

1978 Learning Experience