Never Ever B4 seen photos of a Goldwing

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Never Ever B4 seen photos of a Goldwing

Post by Patriccio »

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away; perhaps it was about 4000 light years away & ago; or it just might have been about three weeks ago; yes, that sounds right; it was three weeks ago, & I decided to drive up to Huntington Beach to visit a friend of mine who was visiting from Pittsburgh, Pa. He & I had grown up together; well, at least he grew up. I haven't decided yet. I took the Puppy & left San Diego right after the heaviest morning Southern California traffic. That means I waited until 10 a.m. & left the house. Traffic was mostly light all the way up I-5 & not even that infamous 405 slowed me down. Usually, the 405 is nothing but a parking lot about 16 hours every day, but that lovely Monday, it was moving along swiftly. I spent the day w/ my buddy; we did a bike ride, dinner, beach stuff. And then it was time to go home.
Puppy fired up on first try, as usual, & I jumped back onto the 405 south and then back onto the I-5 south. And then around San Onofre, the defunkt nuclear power plant, I thought I heard my right muffler increase its throaty charm. "Was it getting louder?" I thought to myself, mainly because no one else was around & since I removed the passenger pegs on the bike, no one was sitting behind me. I checked my mirrors. My right muffler was missing in the mirror. Time for a pull-over & serious inspection of whatever.

I pulled over. It was about 9 p.m. Now, I apologize, but I have been errant in one little, itsy bitsy, teeny tiny---thing.
The muffler bracket had broken, but I decided that the 180 mile round trip to Huntington Beach would be OK because the headers & muffler felt rock solid before I left.

They weren't.

With the twin domes of San Onofre nuclear power station glowing in the background, & waves crashing onto the beach, & cars whizzing by me at 85 mph, I inspected the exhaust. A weld had broken & a gaping hole coughed exhaust fumes into my handsome face (my mother's opinion). I worked the pipe back & forth about three times & it broke off. Then I had a three or four or six foot long piece of pipe & muffler that I couldn't transport back home. Ceremoniously, I kissed it, blessed it, dropped a tear or two upon its ceramic luster--
and then I left it by the side of the road; it stood proud leaning up against a standard California guard rail. It was a half roar all the way home.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Then I bought some mufflers from Cone Engineering.

Then today I stepped out onto the Puppy Corral to start it up, just for exercise. It coughed & almostalmost started. Then it coughed & chugged & almostalmostalmost started. Then it chugged & coughed & hacked & nearly started.

Then it just clicked.

I had bought a new AGM battery several months ago, & since I wasn't riding it, the battery was on a trickle charger. Plenty of power there. I traced the click to that area w/ all those gizmos right next to the battery. The spot where the starter motor cable ties in, and . . . I think I have a pic that will turn out sideways.
Attachments
pat.jpg
pat.jpg (122.24 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Last edited by Patriccio on Sat May 12, 2018 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Maybe this way----
20180511_143401.jpg
20180511_143401.jpg (91.95 KiB) Viewed 207 times
It's too late for research, but I think I have to replace something black & plastic in that area. After this beer, I can do some lookin' around in my Honda library for answers. I checked the connections & the 30 amp fuse--all look good.

Or after another beer I can just hit the sack.

Whatever.

And stuff.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

your book..when will it be finished? :lol:
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Once upon a time I was nagged by a guy named 5speed about writing a book. To deal w/ the denial, I started drinking single malt scotch.
There's always the possibility that I am writing something & have been writing something, but that scotch-induced procrastination just keeps gittin' in the way.
Reminders always help.

On that electrical thing, I think I have to replace the starter relay solenoid.
If that doesn't work, I just might hafta buy another bike.
If that doesn't work, I just might hafta buy more scotch.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Holy Shamoly, there are many starter relay solenoids available over the web-net & beyond. They run from 5 measly bucks to about sixty at David Spares USA.
Does anyone out there have any advice regarding this repair?
Or should I just disassemble several air pumps for aquaria & maybe rebuild them w/ parts from an old blender & attic fan.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

I think I may go w/ Race Tech Electric via Amazon . . . $19.00, "exceeds OEM equipment . . ."
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Patriccio wrote:Once upon a time I was nagged by a guy named 5speed about writing a book. To deal w/ the denial, I started drinking single malt scotch.
There's always the possibility that I am writing something & have been writing something, but that scotch-induced procrastination just keeps gittin' in the way.
Reminders always help.

On that electrical thing, I think I have to replace the starter relay solenoid.
If that doesn't work, I just might hafta buy another bike.
If that doesn't work, I just might hafta buy more scotch.
you can never have enough scotch.
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

"Give an Irishman lager for a month, and he's a dead man. An Irishman is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him."
Mark Twain
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

"If a jobs too hard, it's probably not worth doing"
Homer J Simpson

lolol
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

P5170663.JPG
P5170663.JPG (101.14 KiB) Viewed 131 times
P5170666.JPG
P5170666.JPG (138.91 KiB) Viewed 131 times
The starter relay solenoid arrived today. So after a 40 mile bicycle ride, I installed it. The toughest parts are installing those rubber/plastic hoods over the electrical connections. But after growing two extra arms & hands, I was able to assemble everything.
And the test gave me a CLICK!

It's a pretty good click, but it's in the wrong place. If this particular click had been heard on a bolt action rifle, then yes, it's in the appropriate place. Or if this click sounded when adjusting jack stands, then yes again, an appropriate click. This is a very audible, distinctive, definitive click. It's quite unfortunate that it presents itself when I apply pressure to the starter button.

I checked the ground wire, & I checked the connection to the starter; both good. The headlight works, as does the high beam. The turn signals work. The brake light works. Fuses are OK.
I had to resort to something I have avoided for a long time: a big fat slice of chocolate cake. This giant cake I had purchased for my son was right there front & center in the 'fridge. I did the work. I did my part on the bike, and the click remains. Cake helped tremendously.

Now, I have an electrical gremlin. Now, I have to think. Shall I research the problem, or shall I just have another piece of cake. Oh my, what a quandary.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

it may be the battery..takes more juice to roll the engine over then it does to power the lights.
did you try boosting it?
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

The battery is a rather new AGM, & I had it on a trickle charger before attempting to start.
I'm flummoxed.
Plenty of CCA on that battery.
Maybe the starter switch isn't contacting properly. I'll admonish it verbally this afternoon because I've already put away the tools & had that chocolate cake. Now, it's time for beer.

Would the "hydrolocked" thing do this to my Puppy?
The starter is a newer one I bought as I built the bike.
Last edited by Patriccio on Thu May 17, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Well I'm outta suggestions..and I had a piece of vanilla cake while I was posting..
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Vanilla! You would be in opposition to my chocolate cake.
It just might be time for a beer.

I wonder if my starter has gone bad...