Well, the wheels and new tires are on and the new lower brake lines also. Bleeding the front brakes I noticed fluid on the plastic that I had put over the shelter (glad I did). Coming from the master cylinder around the push rod. Went ahead and ordered a new China el-cheapo and it is on the slow boat (uh, I mean China Post). So, with things a bit on hold and monsoons rolling through the rain forests of East Tennessee, I decided to check on engine things. Ohmed plug wires #1 to #2 is 25.2 kOhms and #3 to #4 is 25.8 kOhms. # 2 plug looks awful - I don't see how it could fire there is so much wet black (gas smelling) on it.
I then did a (cold) compression test which was really confusing.
Remember now, #1 and 3 cylinders had been discovered with bad rust that I scraped off with razor blades. #2 and 4 looked fairly good. #1 and 3 first compression tests were bad and #2 and 4 were Ok. Well, NOW #1 and 3 are 180 psi! BUT!!!! #2 and 4 are down to 120!!!???
So, I am suspecting (hoping) that I've missed a tooth on the left cam belt. Would explain a lot of things like fuel economy, difficulty in getting it timed, difficulty in balancing carbs. Oh, replaced the carb 2-4 balance screw today as the old one seemed maybe stripped.
So, left belt cover comes off tomorrow and (hopefully) correct that issue, then redo static time, valve lash, fire it up and do strobe timing followed by carb balance. Don't mind that work - a lot better than thinking about one bank running 60 psi lower than the other.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl
1979 GL1000 project - to be restored
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike - the Rocket - SOLD!
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '75 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped