My latest project on a budget. Lessons learned.

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: My latest project on a budget. Lessons learned.

Post by taylorsel »

BruteSquad,
I still have some kind of electrical problem when I went over the ignition timing again today It was doing some strange things like my static light got briter when I placed my screwdriver on the contact points plate It came on or became brighter at odd times when I cranked the flywheel. I fixed my problem with the turn signals but my right side still acts strange when the bike is not running the blinkers blink really slow or not at all. they turn off and the buzzer buzzes but it somtimes does not blink. also my horn sounds really weak like there is not a good contact. and the temp and fuel guage works then dosn't work. I contunue to go over all my connections, cleaning them and reconnecting them but still I have a gremlin somwhere. I'm getting spark but I dont' think I'm getting a good spark.
"thisisstevejoseph" told me that the complete rewire he provides is somthing that you should do after all the other work is done and you are sure of the accessories and ignition you will end up with. he quoted me what I think is a pretty reasonable ball park price for him doing the work up. when you are ready drop him a line. rewireing it all yourself might be a bit beyond our ability without the proper equipment. So I think the best thing just to get it started is to solder
your splices and shrink wrap them. I'm going to get a better connector kit for mine for now.

Bladredhead,
I used a 3mm lock washer for the 3mm screw. Maybe I should have looked into the loc tight but didn't think of it. Still not haveing any problems with the fix though.
STEVE LOGAN, 1979 GOLDWING, 1978 GOLDWING, 1976 GOLDWING
bladredhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bladredhead »

taylorsel wrote:Bladredhead,
I used a 3mm lock washer for the 3mm screw. Maybe I should have looked into the loc tight but didn't think of it. Still not haveing any problems with the fix though.
i'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy on stuff like that, don't let my paranoia worry you :crosso
Broken 1976 gl1000... and a few others
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

Well belts and suspenders can save you from getting caught with your pants down :-D
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

Thanks Thisissteve, I'm going to eventually get through all the connectors and I'll use your method.

Today I started by checking the spark by pulling the plugs and hooking them up and watching the spark. I did find one plug not firing so I trimed the plug wire and reconnected it and it worked. All the sparks were nice and blue so they seemed fine. I also used the method mentioned under another topic of putting a thin piece of cardboard in the point that I was not checking to shut that off and was able to better set my timing. That did away with all the strange flashes and dimness.

I still have the problem with my fuel and temp guages not working. Since they are on the same circut and they both worked for a short period of time I'm thinking I'll eventually firgure out what the problem is with them.

I took the bike out for about a 15 mile ride and at first it was a little hard to start but once it got warmed up it mostly ran well. excelerated and idled fine with just a few minor sputters.

So I think somtimes the best thing to do is - check it, think about it, talk about it, test it, then change things out. With my other bikes they did not run perfect at first either but the more I ran them the better they got. Mostly refering to the carb. That's what I'm left with on the budget I have (I work for the Government so things are tight now) If things don't work I'll have to save up and get the things I need the most.
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

I was looking at the wiring chart closley and checking my connections for the temp/fuel guages and It looks like the one common unknown for the circut is the temp regulator. I cleaned the connectors and still no fix. Since both guages are not working and they did work for a short time I'm thinking that this might be the culpurit. was wondering if any of you guys might have one laying around you might want to sell me.
Attachments
temp regulator.JPG
temp regulator.JPG (28 KiB) Viewed 416 times
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

I put my multi meeter on the temp regulator and I got 12 volts going in and 0 volts going out so I'm pretty sure that's what's wrong?
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

Spent a good part of yesterday going through and soldering wires together and putting srinktubing on them where I had the cheap autozone crimp splices. I am really kind of bad at soldering but I happened to see some guy on youtube doing it. Before when I tryed it I tryed to twist the wires then dob solder on them to try and connected them. any way this guy on u-tube put dobs of solder on each end then melting them together. So I tried it and man did that make it easier. I know you guys know all that but this was a big eureka moment for me.

Any way it was a big improvment on my electrics Thanks to "thisisstevejoseph" who suggested it I took my bike out for about 20 miles and it performed flawlessly. As soon as I get my 7v regulator I'll have it all ready. (fingers are crossed)
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

for the last few days the bike has been running without any major issues. I adjusted the fuel air mixture on my number 3 and 4 carbs. they were running pretty rich. It has plenty of power and it Idols great.

I was looking at the bike in the garage and noticed that my lock nut on my right swingarm bolt was missing along with the rubber cap. It must have fallen off while riding. I cannot figure out how that happened I was sure I tightened it up :oops: . I had an extra nut but now I'm short a rubber cap crying1

I'm still waiting on my 7v temp regulator so when it arrives I should have all the electrical issues delt with (still crossing my fingers).
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

I received the 7v regulator in the mail had it installed five minutes later. and it worked. I went down to the local gas station and filled it up and it all worked. Also the more I run this bike the better it runs. So so far so good. I posted a picture of the guages working. :lol:
Attachments
DSCN1833.JPG
DSCN1833.JPG (58.03 KiB) Viewed 372 times
BruteSquad
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by BruteSquad »

taylorsel wrote:I received the 7v regulator in the mail had it installed five minutes later. and it worked. I went down to the local gas station and filled it up and it all worked. Also the more I run this bike the better it runs. So so far so good. I posted a picture of the guages working. :lol:
action1 action1 action1
1977 GL1000
2006 DL650 VStrom

“Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

Well, two steps forward and one backward. Well in this case maybe three backward. I thought it was time to start working on the cosmetics of my bike but during my testing I began to notice some oil dripping from my No.3 cylinder. Upon first starting up I also noticed smoke expceally on the right side. the smoke did go away once the bike warmed up and it seemed to be the usual start up smoke. then later I noticed oil spitting out of a drain hole in my right side muffler. Then the next moring I noticed a puddle of black oil under that drain hole.

Now the whole time the bike seemed to run fine and idol fine as well. but when i pull the caps off of my No's 1,2&4 spark plugs the idoling stopped. but when I pulled the cap off my No. 3 spark plug there was no change. Also I noticed the exhaust pipe on my no 3 cylinder took alot longer to warm up.

I checked the spark and I'm still getting good spark on all four spark plug. I'm getting fuel in my No.3 carb.

I went to try to check my compression but I cannot find my 12mm adapter so I have to wait till I can get another compression check guage since I cannot buy the adapter seperate.

Its begining to look like I might have a problem with my rings in No.3 I should know when I test the compression.

I might be looking for a replacment engine. I think instesd of going into the engine again I'll look around for a decent replacment.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

What did the spark plug look like?
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

it was wet and smelled of gas was not as fouled as the other three. If there was oil on it there was not alot and it seemed more like oil and gas. My theory was that that cylinder is fouling out but there was not alot of oil on it. seemed more like gas and only on the tip unlike the others that had fouling half way up the threads. I don't know if that helps i know I still have some work to do on my carbs but this oil blowing out my exhust is troubling. but what is puzzling is the lack of blue smoke once it warms up.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Do the compression. Also a leakdown if you can. That tells you much more. I think if it was rings you'd have smoke all the time. I would also put new plugs in it and then check those. Some of the oil could be valve seals. I didn't go back to see if you have the heads off and did those.

I'm with you, I think you still have carb issues.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

I did not do the valves I guess Ill have to research that and take care of it. It might make sense since the cylinder I'm having that trouble with was one that was rusted. I cleaned it up a little and it didn't seem pitted just serface rust. I scoured it but I didn't do it right I think.

I'll do the tests then look to do a valve job before I give up on the engine.