New Texan Rebuild Project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

avg_joe
Titanium Member
Titanium Member
My Album: http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79 ... torcycles/

Re: New Texan Rebuild Project

Post by avg_joe »

Yeah, but could you imagine the rooster tail if you found someplace to whack the throttle open? My only advice would be, don't follow that one too close!!
In the garage:
1977 GL1000
1982 GL1100 with California Side Car hack
1982 FT500 Ascot(Wife's bike)
1983 FT500 Ascot
1983 XL600R(with some 85 parts)
Z50Lover
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Z50Lover »

The forks are VERY squishy.... should I just order some seals and put new oil in? Is there more to them? I suppose I need to order a manual, but I usually just pull stuff apart and figure out what I need. I know found a site the other day with exploded views of the motor, I would assume there was the same of the forks. I just need to find it again!
'82 GL1100
Neil

Post by Neil »

New seals, progressive springs, and a fork brace will make a night and day difference to how the front feels.
Z50Lover
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Z50Lover »

It all ready has a brace. Thanks, I'll check out the springs, I've read mixed reviews on them. I am going to drop it down to 11 inch shocks in the rear.... are these shocks anything like MX forks? for example, can I cut down the spring to drop the front end, or should I just adjust the height at the triple trees?
'82 GL1100
Neil

Post by Neil »

Cutting the springs won't work. Have to lower the forks in the TT. I would look at lowering the foam on the seat by 2" also to help out with height.
Z50Lover
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Z50Lover »

awesome, thanks for all of the info!

I actually planned to cut down and reshaping the seat and top with a more squishy foam I used to build one of the seats for my Z50's. If that doesnt go well, I'll be going to be bike bone-yard to find a seat from another style bike. I'm just trying to lower the bike for looks, mostly. Only issue with doing all of that is redoing the kick stand. Although, I've got a nifty motorcycle jack that will make it easier.
'82 GL1100
Z50Lover
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Z50Lover »

Took off the giant brake lights and turn signals, and mocked up my new led blinkers and brake light. After I get it all set in, I'll be cutting the fender down.

I also think I'm going to get a CB900 front fender and I'll probably shorten that up.

Ignore the clutter... I've got too many projects going on, and too many kids with bikes that don't ride them.

'82 GL1100
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

That rear tire still has several hundred miles of wear left, heck I do not even see the cords yet. LED's look good but how are you going to get white LEDs to glow red or amber?
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Z50Lover
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Z50Lover »

I'm sure the PO felt the same way... this was his daily driver. Tires are dry rotted, and evidently the front was much worse, he swapped it out so he could get it inspected this summer.

The LED's are red and amber. Next trick will be to find a place for the licence plate and a light for it.
'82 GL1100