MAKING A TRIKE

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: MAKING A TRIKE

Post by transitman »

with a little help from my friends, the work progresses. Chris came round today, sat there and studied it for some time, and came up with an engineering solution to the problem of design. He thinks I should keep the functions as near as possible to the bike's, so the radius rods will be roughly the length of the old swinging arm and the shock absorber mounts a continuation of the existing frame. the picture shows approximately the final position of the back axle, within 2 inches, and the first job is to make the radius rods and attach them to the frame. Then mock up the prop shaft and the shock absorber mounts. Then we will see what has to come next, we hope.
IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG (69.19 KiB) Viewed 334 times
The Morris Minor wheels are off the floor a couple of inches so the axle is at the height it will be with the new wheels, which will have a rolling radius of 15.5 inches. I will probably go for a 16 inch 6 stud Toyota 4x4 wheel with General Grabber ATs, but that's further down the line.
Got to site the caravan for eldest daughter and family tomorrow as they are visiting us for a few days. There is a great little site at Mouldsworth, 5 miles away that we use for quiet breaks. Looks over the forest and has some amazing fishing. So it won't be until Thursday I can get down and buy some tube. Happy days!
"Say not the struggle naught availeth." A H Clough.

'78 GL1000 Trike
1st bike: '58 150cc Ambassador 2 stroke. learned how to chuck it down the road
'31 BSA 500 single long stroke Sloper, dug out of a wall in Sussex, never went that well...
'49 Sunbeam S8, built from bits in '67, used daily, sold to a US biker in '84, still miss it
3 BSA Bantams, now a daughter has one
'78 Honda 500T
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Hello. i'm curious, what is the gear ratio of the Morris Minor axle?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

about 4:1, making the final drive close to the original using the big AT's

'78 GL1000 Trike
'31 BSA 500 single long stroke Sloper, dug out of a wall in Sussex, never went that well...
'49 Sunbeam S8, built from bits in '67, used daily, sold to a US biker in '84, still miss it
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Busy week but not much to show for it. few pictures too, but here's one
IMG_1056.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG (49.16 KiB) Viewed 282 times
not very exciting I know, but spent most of the last week hunting for bits in scrap yards and suppliers. This short shaft from a L200 has a good UJ that will mate to the Minor differential.
also found some 3/16 in plate, about 7 square foot, and a nice piece of 35mm solid mild steel bar for fittings. The big expense was ordering 6 rose joints, the plan is to fit rose joints to the radius rods and axle A frame, making my own fittings from the bar. You will see what I mean when I start and have some pictures to show.
That will have to wait til next week now as I'm off to Saddleworth for 2 days to do some more work on the Austin 7. More happy days.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Didn't make it to Rob's to work on his Austin - had to go to the dentist instead, not a nice swap but on the way home found these in a scrap yard, 18in rims off a Range Rover Sport. Had to buy all 4 but should be able to resell 2 on ebay.

IMG_1058.JPG
IMG_1058.JPG (65.69 KiB) Viewed 275 times

all wheels in good condition and all tyres very good too. Will have to re-enamel the Land Rover badge and will probably refinish the wheels in a different colour. But that's not a now decision. Off to Chris's workshop Saturday to start the tube work.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Someone said on a trike forum to get all your stuff together before you start. I see wisdom there, belatedly. So, been doing a little more thinking.
Decided to mate the wheels to the axle first so that the axle dimensions would be fixed and this would make the tube work easier.
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG (47.92 KiB) Viewed 263 times
So here's a gratuitous picture of a pile of wheels, a few too many for a trike. They have 5x120mm centres, the Morris axle 4x100mm.
IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG (37.96 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Cue a handy length of 1/4 plate, carefully mark out 4 pieces, 2 with 4 hole centres, 2 with 5.
IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1064.JPG (44.46 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Trim neatly.

Drill the holes to clamp them in pairs, and a big hole in the middle for a clamping bolt to hold in the lathe. Used the mill for this as I wanted a slow cut.
IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1067.JPG (50.52 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Mount in lathe, trim circular.
That's enough for one day for an oldie. Day off Sunday then back to it next week, with luck.
Attachments
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG (36.09 KiB) Viewed 263 times

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Another week on the wheel adaptors. Decided to make the wheel side 1/2in rather than 1/4 in thick so added another plate each side. Now have 6 to fettle. Bought the steel for the spacers which will be spigoted into the plates both ends and started to machine them.

The 2 adaptors will be different lengths to cover the drive shaft offset I have decided against shortening the axle, the Range Rover wheels have a massive internal offset of 8 inches each, and I want the track to be reasonably wide so I am making the adaptors to suit. Total track width will be in the order of 56 inches.

this is the longer of the two spacers, faced drilled and tapped each end first, then onto cutting the spigots out. Centre drilled an 8mm bolt to use a live end in the tailstock as that is quite an overhang from the chuck. Still managed to chip the tool.
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG (37.65 KiB) Viewed 247 times
Cut it down to the diameter of the drill I will use to cut the centre holes in the plates:
IMG_1088.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG (42.2 KiB) Viewed 247 times
then found I had forgotten to tap the other end
IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1090.JPG (42.2 KiB) Viewed 247 times
That's one done, get on with the other one tomorrow, then over to an agricultural merchant in North Wales for some 14mm studs for the wheels. Bought new Range Rover wheel nuts last week from a main dealer, cost £54. Needless to say found them cheaper on ebay later.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Did you consider using lug bolts instead of lug nuts. Sure seems like that would work out easier. Yet I have not done this, and you appear to have more experience.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Hi Fred, pardon my ignorance, but I am not sure what a lug bolt is! I am an aircraft engineer by training so all my heavy metal work and biker stuff is gained from a lifetime of moonlighting. Leaves lots of holes in the knowledge base but I just love learning new things!

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

Small cars and trailers sometimes use lug bolts to secure a wheel to a hub. The hub is tapped with the matching female thread.

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Bit of a delay on this posting - spent a week recovering from having 2 teeth extracted - don't recover as fast as we used to.
And mate Chris the professional machinist is out of action too, having 2 new knees to go with his 2 new hips. Still needs 2 new ankles but 2/3rds of the way there now.
Been getting slowly back up to speed doing more of the axle parts machining. Cleaning up the axle too:
IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG (49.67 KiB) Viewed 212 times
New brake cylinders, wheel bearings and oil seals ordered, back plates cleaned up and getting it ready for powder coating.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

And those long handle fry pans on the desk must mean you know how to camp? Keep at her.

transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

The pans are waiting for Chris to repair - they are from his local Indian take-away and a form of food for jobs I think. And oh, yes, we will be keeping at her! My wife thinks I am totally obsessed by the project. She may be right, she usually is

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

A week of quiet progress, more or less.
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG (66.66 KiB) Viewed 187 times
this interesting picture of the back of a wheel shows the 5 hole plate part of the wheel attachment. The sharp eyed amongst you will have noticed the second row of 5 holes that didn't quite make it to maturity - one was 2mm out. Confession over, the second set of holes are close enough (within the 1mm I promised myself).
IMG_1108.JPG
IMG_1108.JPG (59.28 KiB) Viewed 187 times
The front of the wheel shows that the nuts fit which is very satisfying! The studs are not pressed in yet, need to buy a 15mm drill to get the right size for pressing. The other really nice thing about the plate is the centre hole is very close to the centre, withing the magic 1mm.
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG (67.73 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Last picture of a wheel, I promise. Tried on the spigot and 4 hole plates to see what they look like. Both 4 hole plates are shown, only one will be used each side. Still plan to double up the thickness of the 5 hole plates, it just feels a good thing to do. The spigot here is the short one, a longer one will be used on the other side to get the axle alignment. Most of the work for this has been done, just got to get them together, fit the studs, weld the things up. I think the hole alignment will be good enough now, flatness will be relatively easy to get to with the mill. Hopefully that will be all the wheels need to run true.

Feels like I've been doing this one job for ever but it is a biggy in my scheme of things and good to get out of the way. Next job is the propshaft, or maybe the rose joints. Looking forward to getting closer to the bike. Have also been tidying the axle. Bought all the bits to make up the brakes and bearings but will leave them off until I have finished the wheel attachments. I have assembled the axle enough to hang the wheels on so I have something to work to.

Not getting a lot of feedback so I hope this thread is interesting enough. I shall yell for help soon enough when I get stuck though.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

I don't have much to comment on, being I've never done a trike before, but enjoy reading/watching what you have been up to! :-)
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550