MAKING A TRIKE

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Re: MAKING A TRIKE

Post by Sagebrush »

One other thing that adds to the ride quality and stability of the wife's trike is that it is equipped with independent rear suspension. A rigid box frame was bolted to the original motorcycle frame to mount the suspension and drive and the swingarm was totally removed. All the shock absorption is taken up at the wheels. This eliminates the frame twist that gets transmitted to the frame and ultimately to the handlebars with solid axle type rear suspensions. there is a cross mounted strut instead of shocks at each rear wheel.

Here is a poor picture taken from the manufacturer's website.

If you have the design and modification skills and financial wherewithal to accomplish this then it would be the way to go.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

that's a brilliant picture compared with my efforts! nice suspension setup too. The axle I will be using is rigid but will incorporate springs and dampers and I plan to pivot it off the existing swing arm so it will have a long trailing link to minimise fore and aft axle movement. but it will not compensate for side to side articulation (or rotation about the diff). I am hoping that the fairly generous width will mean the steering will not be affected too much.
on the other hand, I am not frightened by a bit of engineering and if it doesn't work out I will do something like yours. It would be good to get a running trike first!
"Say not the struggle naught availeth." A H Clough.

'78 GL1000 Trike
1st bike: '58 150cc Ambassador 2 stroke. learned how to chuck it down the road
'31 BSA 500 single long stroke Sloper, dug out of a wall in Sussex, never went that well...
'49 Sunbeam S8, built from bits in '67, used daily, sold to a US biker in '84, still miss it
3 BSA Bantams, now a daughter has one
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

forgot to ask: your handle is run executive and the picture is of a submarine - is that your job?

'78 GL1000 Trike
'31 BSA 500 single long stroke Sloper, dug out of a wall in Sussex, never went that well...
'49 Sunbeam S8, built from bits in '67, used daily, sold to a US biker in '84, still miss it
'78 Honda 500T
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

It was my job from 1969-1976. I'm retired from GE now.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

not a lot to report this week, the tank derusting continues very slowly as it is running a low voltage and a weak sodium carbonate solution, but the crud continues to pile up on the anode and the anode continues to get eaten away. on the second anode now, should have used some threaded rod like they show you on goldwingfacts.

the frame is slowly giving up its paint and I have chopped out the centre stand shaft tube, it had rusted through and been badly repaired. shall replace that with some nice heavy stuff.

my forlorn efforts to draw my new frame also continue,
IMG_0959.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG (52.93 KiB) Viewed 330 times
the lines represent 2 inch tubing, cold drawn seamless, and mate Rob, he of the Austin 7, a retired university lecturer, will be assisting me with the finite element analysis, I hope.
the axle and swing arm bit, I have drawn one frame tube from the LH side of the swing arm to fix to the axle, the propshaft will continue on from the RH side, I think that will be enough axle location, what does anyone else think? main dimensions will be approx 10ft long, 5ft wide.

soon as I have finished prepping and priming the frame I will set it up on the floor and get precise dimensions. Have yet to pick up the Capri axle, will be going for that in a couple of weeks. can't wait!

please keep the comments coming, I am relying on you good people to see I do a decent job!

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

I am building a replica of a HD servi-car out of a 2005 Vamaha V-star.
This is my first experience with trikes so I purchased several papers from SAE about trike stability and dynamics.
In addition with some of my own ideas I feel I have come up with a design of good compromise.
I wanted to get as close to an equilateral triangle as possible
I wanted to get my CG as low as possible.
I wanted it as short and narrow as possible for maneuverability.
trike1.jpg
trike1.jpg (62.23 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Needles to say I am far from finished... but it is roadworthy & I have put 50 miles on it at speeds up to 70 MPH
I am very happy with the stability and maneuverability.
I will say it rides a little rough I believe this is due to the short wheelbase.
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Hi Tim
take on board all you say, and agree too. your requirements are different from mine - I just want a soft cruiser, not something sharp and pointy. low C of G is essential though.

you are in a rough old place - done my share of grim postings, glad I'm retired! All the very best to you
Barry

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

forgot to say: thanks for the reference to SAE and trike dynamics, I shall read up on it

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Time flies. Very little done. Frame mostly stripped of paint and is now repaired. Too early to have it blasted and powder coated - wait until I have done any new welding on it to take the back frame and it would be better to powder coat the entire assembly in one go when the build is nearing completion. Plan to do mine ivory like another on this site, looks really good.
Tank is still undergoing electrolysis therapy, still spitting out little bits of rust. In no rush, it can sit there for weeks really. Then will have to think about coating it with something petrol proof and rust preventing. All ideas welcome!
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG (39.64 KiB) Viewed 309 times
pictures show repair to ex-mainstand tubing, new tube slightly smaller in diameter but with 3/16in wall thickness. Heavy!
Then frame and engine roughly positioned awaiting arrival of axle - due next week. Standing the engine on a plank of wood and chocking the frame around it - see I need a thicker plank so I can get the front wheel on. Have to leave it now as crane is all dismantled ready to go in the Transit to get the axle out.
Roll on axle and next week
IMG_0980.JPG
IMG_0980.JPG (37.74 KiB) Viewed 309 times

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Been sidelined for 2 weeks, surgery on back of hand and forbidden by management to go near the garage. Just when it was getting exciting...

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

my academic mate came over out of sympathy and we spent 2 happy days discussing the trike. he has gone away to do some sums leading up to a FEA of the trike chassis. plugging in the data from Machinery's Handbook should give me some confidence in the build to come.

I'm not too happy with the handlebar switches and wiring and as I will probably be fitting longer bars I intend to go for a cleaner look. I don't use a radio on the road, so I'm thinking about converting the Vetter radio/speaker case to take the switches from the bars. the trick will be making it look professional.

Stitches on hand come out Friday but instead of getting down to it I have got to spend the week in London visiting family. Plan to make a pop pop for grandson which will be a fun diversion. The following week should finally get to the back axle and bring it home. I will take my camera too.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Got to ask, what's a pop pop???

cause I am sure my 8 year old wants one anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

your 8 year old would love one. http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/buildpop.htm is one site, there are many, even heard of full size boats built on the principle. its a bit like a bee, if it knew the fundamentals of aerodynamics it wouldn't be able to fly. if a pop pop works, well, it just works. think of it as a random flash tube boiler propulsion system, the pop pop decides which pipe will suck in water and which one will expel steam

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

went to the hospital today, had me in stitches. ok, took them out, but still banned from the workshop for another week by management.

the Capri axle I've been expecting keeps getting delayed, so found a Morris Minor one for £15 in Wigan. so off to Wigan tomorrow with mate and hoist.

put together a little dolly to run the engine in and out of the chassis build while management wasn't looking. they've changed all the waste wheelie bins here so lots of wheels and axles available if you have the right line of chat.

spent yesterday afternoon ferreting around a scrap yard. had a long close look at a Merc E class rear suspension and decided that I would run out of talent attempting to fit it. fancied a Jeep axle but it is a bit large and heavy... back to the Minor.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

holidays over, seem to go on for ever! got back to work today. put the front wheel on, positioned the motor on a dolly in position, picked up the Morris Minor axle and 2 wheels and they are roughly in position for doing some serious thinking.
IMG_1034.JPG
IMG_1034.JPG (85.96 KiB) Viewed 231 times
doing a lot of design work, the paper is piling up, not got a finalized plan yet. Mate Rob is working on the stresses, mate Chris thinks that's a waste of time, I don't argue with them, they are both far cleverer than me.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T