MAKING A TRIKE

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: MAKING A TRIKE

Post by transitman »

it will be some weeks now before I can get back to the bike but it will be a complete rebuild now. needs carbs doing from scratch, new electrical harness which I will make bit by bit, and now I am stripping it down to shotblast the frame, then do the welding repairs needed on it. Even the forks need an overhaul and the yoke bearings are shot too! (I think that's triple tree your side of the pond)
"Say not the struggle naught availeth." A H Clough.

'78 GL1000 Trike
1st bike: '58 150cc Ambassador 2 stroke. learned how to chuck it down the road
'31 BSA 500 single long stroke Sloper, dug out of a wall in Sussex, never went that well...
'49 Sunbeam S8, built from bits in '67, used daily, sold to a US biker in '84, still miss it
3 BSA Bantams, now a daughter has one
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

At last! holidays over, back to the trike.
Started the tank on sodium carbonate electrolysis to see if it will clean it up
IMG_0938.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG (45.67 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Will post results...

Started to do the frame plans, kicking off with a few sketches:
IMG_0939.JPG
IMG_0939.JPG (52.05 KiB) Viewed 240 times
sorry about the quality! This one is a simplified general view,
and this one is roughly to scale of the side view:
IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_0941.JPG (59.45 KiB) Viewed 240 times
and this a sketch plan:
IMG_0940.JPG
IMG_0940.JPG (60.75 KiB) Viewed 240 times
I would appreciate some criticism please, as 10ft by 5ft is a novel size looking at other trikes.
I am aiming for an easy riding cruiser and my thinking is that long and wide will give stability and good ride quality.
I have not shown the drive and suspension details much as I don't want to complicate the pictures, but the plan is to use the drive from the swing arm and the coil overs from the rear to make into a large subframe.

When I have finalised the layout I am going to attempt a CAD finite element analysis of the new frame.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'31 BSA 500 single long stroke Sloper, dug out of a wall in Sussex, never went that well...
'49 Sunbeam S8, built from bits in '67, used daily, sold to a US biker in '84, still miss it
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

big thank you to those clever people at GoldWingfacts, the tank electrolysis is going well.
IMG_0943.JPG
IMG_0943.JPG (51.61 KiB) Viewed 233 times
after about 15 hours this is the result, put a piece of paper on the tank so you can see it properly, the build up of crap on the anode. (I think! it may be a cathode...)
whatever, its working. blanked off the tapcock with a piece of steel and a cardboard gasket, used a spray can lid to hold the coathanger wire and a 12v adaptor for the power. it will probably need to run for some days.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

steady progress, nothing visually worth showing, the tank continues to give up its crappy interior and there's not much worth seeing in a frame being stripped of it's old paint. So, just to brighten up a dull post, here's a picture of the other project in my life, the owner is an ex Air Force mate from way back, lives up on Saddleworth moor and every few weeks I pack a bag and stay with him for 2 or 3 days and we do car. We are now in year 3, I think, and still plenty jobs left.
It's a 1935 Austin 7 Ruby saloon, one of many survivors, my jobs are the welding, painting and mechanical and electrical overhauling. Just about says it all really, but Rob does all the awkward under the car stuff that is now beyond me.
Attachments
IMG_0931-001.JPG
IMG_0931-001.JPG (77.25 KiB) Viewed 219 times

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Just caught up with this thread!

Boy, you love a challenge I think! :shock:

Love the Ruby. That's going to be real nice when finished. action1

Oh, and if you think Chester is wet (I lived in Holmes Chapel for a while so I know) try living up here in Glasgow!

I can help you with parts. You will need a Randakk kit for your carbs for a start (spend a couple of days going through his stuff! http://www.randakks.com/ ) and new timing belts, both of which I have in stock. If you do strip that thread on the water pump cover I may have one or Doug may have one in our USA branch.

Your trike may be better with an axle from a Reliant Regal. A bit narrower than the Capri and seems to be the trike choice over here.

Make sure you also go through the tech tips on here http://www.ngwclub.com/shoptalk/ and in my website below.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Hi Old Fogey, thank you for your comments. I shall be in touch. I had already decided to to the Randakk overhaul, but I'm not in any hurry, got loads to do yet. I will also need that book he recommends on doing carbs.
As I already have a Capri axle and stuff to go with it, it's probably too late to go for a Reliant, unless someone out there has been there before and wished they hadn't.... I have also to get my 10 year old Transit through its MOT next week and it's looking a bit forlorn underneath. So much to do; so little time!

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Not a book for the 1000 carbs, a video. I have that in stock also.
How are you going to offset the diff on the axle? Not that it need much; the output shaft is only a couple of inches off the centre line of the engine. So if your prop shaft is long enough you will probably be within the U/J angle parameters.
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Ah, just pm'd you before reading post.
A longer than normal trike I think may mean I don't have to cut the RH side down, but if I have to I will chop it.
what's your opinion on a trike 10ft by 5ft driven from the saddle?

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

My wife's GL1800 California Side Car conversion is about 7' from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle. It is 5' wide from the outside edge of the rear tires. Overall length is 9'. That is gracious long enough, very stable. I think 10' is overkill.

Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Nice looking rig, Sir! thanks for that, nice to know I'm not too far out and your rig is stable.
I live close to the North Wales Snowdonia national park, an absolutie haven for bikers and trikers. My aim is to easy cruise there, speed is not an objective anymore. And like you, I take Einstein words to heart.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

hey, Old Fogey, just remembered, got no video player now! Better let me know when it comes out in DVD.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

transitman wrote:hey, Old Fogey, just remembered, got no video player now! Better let me know when it comes out in DVD.

It is a DVD.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Should have made that clear. It's a video, on a DVD; as distinct from pictures and diagrams.

Actually, given the average ages on here, I wonder we don't ask Randakk to do a Betamax version! :)
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

I haven't looked at our average age, so at pushing 70 I'm a youngster?

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

transitman wrote:I haven't looked at our average age, so at pushing 70 I'm a youngster?

No, afraid not. But I do know you are not the oldest. ;)
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder