Maybe I'll call it Threedom

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Maybe I'll call it Threedom?

Post by gltriker »

baby steps robin :oldies baby steps ;)
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Whaterya tryin to do, Cliff ... win a beauty contest!?
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

gltriker wrote:baby steps robin :oldies baby steps ;)

lolol lolol anim-cheers1
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Roady wrote:Whaterya tryin to do, Cliff ... win a beauty contest!?
Do you think I'm perdy? :lol:

seriously- I was more than pleasantly surprised how much better the front end looks with the front fender in place. And, thrilled how it kept the front of the bike clean after riding in a little bit of rain!
Last edited by gltriker on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

moved from, "What did you do to your GL today"

I removed the trike's carburetors to lookysee what they were looking like, internally. Externally, I had been noticing witness of a brownish film around the throttle shafts, and 3 of the 4 CV caps. Also, an unnerving 'coupling' at very low engine and ground speed had recently surfaced.
Cleaned and polished the CV pistons and caps, removed all jets and emulsion tubes, and the float valve seats to inspect their screens, etc., etc., etc. . Additionally, I spent a bunch of time making sure the pilot discharge tubes were all clear, as well.

Although I've ridden the trike 7,173 miles since it (we) hit the road in November 2012, the carburetors have never been, formally, synchronized. So...... while the 'pucks' were removed, I was looking at the individual throttle plates' positions through the 3 bypass discharge ports in their open cavity.
Notably, 3 of the 4 throttle plates were consistent in their placements in the idling position.
The remaining throttle plate was a bit out of static synchronization, as viewed through the bypass ports, when compared to the other 3 throttle plates.
Which one, you ask? I believe it was #4 cylinder. Anyhoo, for the time being, I left well enough alone. Some day I'll get to it.

Upon reassembly, I didn't recall what the 'factory' preliminary pilot screw settings are, so I set all 4 pilot mix adjuster screws at 3 1/2 turns from their respective seats. Changed the fuel hoses and installed a p/n 695666 Briggs and Stratton fuel filter; 30 micron filtration spec. if I remember, correctly.

Started the engine, and after it ran long enough for the radiator fan to turn on, I gave the throttle a few quick twists. hmmmmm? The engine had been idling around 1,100 rpm, now it was idling at 2,000 rpm. What??? Wasn't anything related to cable adjustments or interferences; Therefore, I Reduced the engine idling speed to 1,100 rpm, approximately 3/8 turns CCW, and upon subsequent throttle accelerations and release, the engine would quickly resume the 1,100 rpm setting. HMMMMM?!
AND, the hot engine restart results, which historically typical had been reluctant to start and run at a steady idle speed without twisting the throttle open first, now restarts very quickly and idles without any throttle twist assistance. This just keeps better and better!!

The air was way too cold to take it for a ride, late this afternoon. Tomorrow's forecast is good enough to take a long ride, and enjoy a well running engine, again.

One more thing....... I promise.
Prior to removing the carburetors, I'd noticed that pulling each plug wire off, independently to check for its cylinder reaction, yielded different results. Cylinders 2 and 3 showed very little change in idle rpm reduction when their respective plug wires were individually removed. Cylinders 1 and 4 wires, also individually removed, would respectively cause the engine to stumble hard. The Dyna S and Dyna coils and Dyna plug wires were all snapping hot and heavy. as usual.
This time, after the carburetors' tune-up, removing each plug wire, independently, now would have a very profound negative effect on the engine idle operation, each time a plug wire was removed!! All 4 cylinders are now equally reactive to a cylinder ignition cancellation event.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if my mileage were to increase a bit more?
Actually, I'm quite pleased with the honest-to-goodness 30 mpg I've already reported, several times before.
I'll report in a few days what my actual riding experience was.

In reflection; I'm starting to get in tune with carburetors' idling synchronization- AND moreso, the Idle drop adjustments benefits.
But, I really enjoy not having to babysit the choke knob while the engine warms up!!
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

I'd posted the following light hearted statement in my previous post:

"Wouldn't it be a hoot if my mileage were to increase a bit more?
Actually, I'm quite pleased with the honest-to-goodness 30 mpg I've already reported, several times before.
I'll report in a few days what my actual riding experience was."

Anyway......as I was riding the trike Saturday afternoon, the engine started sputtering at 107 miles to announce it was time to select the fuel valve onto reserve. Until today, the engine typically requested switchover to reserve at 117-119 miles. This remarkably small variation of typical miles traveled was observed at least 10 times in the past, before I removed and serviced the carburetors earlier this week. Interestingly, those miles traveled differences reflect an average reduction of 2 1/2 mpg. As i'd stated in my previous post, because I didn't research the initial setting spec., the pilot screws were all set at 3 1/2 turns from their respective seats. I've read many times the GL1000 engine is cold blooded. Mine starts and runs without utilizing the choke when the engine is cold. Clearly, exactly opposite of the normal warm up expectations.
After realizing my decreased mileage could be related to excessively adjusted pilot fuel delivery rate, I looked up the spec...... 1 1/2 turns. hmmmmmmm. Reasonably, 2 extra turns richer in the pilot circuit would have produced this effect. I haven't examined the spark plugs for appearances yet. Perhaps, their individual colorations will reflect excessive fuel delivery witness now.

Therefore, I'll reduce the 4 pilot screws' number of turns from the seat, and see how it affects my mileage. Mind y'all now, I know I'm really wandering deep into the realm of doing things technically incorrect. But, my carburetors haven't been synchronized yet, I don't know what my pilot screws were actually set at prior to servicing them this past week, and I realize carburetors' idle speed synchronization is paramount prior to correctly performing idle drop adjustments. (I am certain the pilot screw settings were originally all over the place, too.)
After riding the trike approx. 4,300 miles this riding season, much more aggressively than last year fer sure, I'm getting more in tune with the engine's performance traits and nuances. Good and bad.

So...... if the weather cooperates for me to ride with reduced pilot screw settings, I'll report back with the mileage at which the engine now will demand the fuel valve switchover to reserve.
Please, bear with me, I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I have an inquiring mind.
And, it's been 47+ years since my brain injury. ;) :lol:
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

Love ready your posts,
Mileage went down after cleaning, and expecting a little better. Common sense should agree
that it would go up, right? But maybe now that the carbs are cleaner they are running more
fuel through them. Duh, I'm sure you said that in your post, but I felt like saying.
Please keep us posted,
Head injury? I missed that.
Dave
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Thanks for enjoying my ramblings, Gowing!
Interestingly enough, reducing the pilot screws settings from 3 1/2 turns from their respective seats by one turn, down to 2 1/2 turns, raised the switchover miles on my 380 miles Wednesday jaunt to the St. Lawrence Seaway, from the previous 107, to an observed consistent 113. (again, 1 1/2 turns from seat is the factory preliminary pilot spec.)
* normal* switchover miles to reserve, prior to servicing the carburetors last week, had been 117-119 miles. BUT!, I had no idea what the pilots were set at..... it simply started and ran OK for me. :lol:
I've been *reading* the spark plugs. Before I make any further pilot screw adjustments, and observations, a new set of spark plugs will be installed. Taking into account that it has the DynaS, Dyna coils and wires, I gap them at .035".
Since my inquiring mind became so keen to investigate the engine as a system, it's become a science project of sorts. Having ridden almost 5,000 miles this year it has become more than just frivilous transportation.
Last edited by gltriker on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Gowing wrote:Love ready your posts,
Mileage went down after cleaning, and expecting a little better. Common sense should agree
that it would go up, right? But maybe now that the carbs are cleaner they are running more
fuel through them. Duh, I'm sure you said that in your post, but I felt like saying.
Please keep us posted,
Head injury? I missed that.
Dave
Hey there, Dave! I believe, with inspections/reflections, that the choke linkage may have been adjusted without enough slack in the cable, in addition to the excessive pilot screw turns-out-from-seat settings.
Without getting TOOOO verbose, atypical to my usual style of communication, I've been concerned/aggravated with the loud gutteral roar from the airbox area when rolling on the throttle in 5th gear and sluggish acceleration. (Just not the way it used to run very early this year.) AND, the reduced miles to reserve switchover intervals since the last carburetor service. anyway.....
Three days after I took the 380 mile ride, I wanted to pull the plugs to see what they looked like. I was shocked to find plugs #1 and #3 were less than finger tight. :shock:
But, in spite of having been "loose", their appearance was not notably different from #2 and #4 appearances. Plugs #2 and #4 were, however, tight.
Thinking back, I had examined the plugs before I left that morning, and must have missed tightening 1 and 3. So, I correctly tightened them all, and left home to find my buddy to go riding. (Still running about the same.)
Subsequently, we filled our respective tanks and took off. Totally counter to my usual fill-up with 87 octane E10 I've ALWAYS used, I filled with Ethanol-Free 91 octane, instead. Subsequently, I noted it was running kinda crappy when I arrived home, 100 miles later.
When I pulled the plugs the next morning, ALL 4 sparkplugs were heavily powdery black sooty appearing. ?????? Fuel quality?

Anyhoo...I had a new set of D8EA, which I installed in the soot fouled plugs' places, and filled up soon afterwards with 87 E10 (maybe?) Took a ride yesterday and hoped the issue would be resolved. 50 miles later.....Uh Uh. Very little improvement.
That's when I pulled over in a shady area, slackened the choke cable even more and reset the pilots to 1 3/4 tfs.
Soon afterwards, the engine responds much better to a 5th gear throttle twist acceleration, and is smoother and less noisy at cruising speed. I'm very pleased it responded so favorably.

If my switchover to reserve miles interval returns at 117-119 miles, I'll be thrilled for the time being!!
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

from the previous post-"If my switchover to reserve miles interval returns at 117-119 miles, I'll be thrilled for the time being!!"

update:
A neighbor and I took a ride to my family camp, Wednesday morning.
Prior to leaving my house Wednesday morning, I had performed an individual cylinders' compression test, and the always favorably consistent test numbers remained unchanged.
The relatively new D8EA sparkplugs appearances (installed Monday?) were normal in the #1 and #3 positions (right cylinder head). #2 and #4 (left cylinder head)were a bit rich appearing. So...... wondering if switching the plugs from left to right, and vice-versa might be beneficial for troubleshooting purposes, I did.

My first switchover to reserve happened at 99 miles. :( Soon afterwards, At the bottom of a long hill, at a intersection, the engine idle was so low, the engine died. :-? With throttle opened quite a bit, it restarted quickly. We rode another 15 miles after the stalling event to the next gas station, and refilled our tanks. Riding the last 16 miles to camp was relatively uneventful.
Before leaving camp, I checked the plugs appearances, again, and the previously side-to-side transplanted plugs had assumed the opposite of their former appearances previously noted.

I'd removed the carburetors several weeks ago, primarily, to examine the CV pistons and their caps for possible sticking. Nothing obvious was observed.
anyway.......
With the fairing presently in place, I can't easily swap the respective positions of both coil's Dyna solid core wires to observe if a similar to last year's condition might be developing. That is, If an ignition weakness follows a sparkplug wire position change.
A visit under the ignition cover to inspect the DynaS' installation integrity, and correct modules' static timing positions will be accomplished, as well.
After having read Mike Nixon's observation that the Dyna S rotor may not be correctly advancing to Honda's full range of motion, I'll check that detail, as well.

also, for the Umpteenth time, I'll check the never changing .004" valve lash settings, again.

to be continued.......
Last edited by gltriker on Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

I'll attempt to report what I did Friday in a more concise form than usual.

Installed the new set of Dyna 3 ohm coils.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

While installing those previously mentioned new 3ohm Dyna coils last Friday, I performed ignition circuits' testing with my OTC digital multi-meter, and a new set of testing leads.
Subsequently, having discovered considerable voltage drops were present, the wisdom of my fellow NGK members came to mind.
Their advisement was to bypass several factory wiring connectors and switches cumulative voltage drops, via a switched DC relay. Doing so, helps reduce voltage losses in the +battery path to the ignition coils.

Updates will be forthcoming..... ;)
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

from a previous post -

"If my switchover to reserve miles interval returns at 117-119 miles, I'll be thrilled for the time being!!"

I'm thrilled, again! But, my enthusiasm may be jumping the proverbial gun, though.

Yesterday morning, With the trip odometer presently displaying 76 miles since last time refilling the fuel tank, I installed a brand new OEM Honda GL1000 air filter element ($28 from Western Honda) to replace the EMGO air filter element which had been installed for the entire 9,000 miles, since the trike project hit the road, November 2012.
It was *new*, as far as I knew, when I purchased it approximately a year or so earlier.
Although I had handled and inspected the filter a bunch of times previously, I noted the numbers 95 near the EMGO logo when I removed the element yesterday. hmmmmm.
anyway, prior to the last fuel tank fill and trip odometer re-set, the previous flip over miles was 113.

While riding yesterday afternoon, after having installed the OEM Honda air filter element earlier that morning, the fuel valve flip to reserve miles happened at 122! :shock: action1 :-D

Taking into account the first 76 miles of that same tank of fuel, had been operated with the EMGO element, I'm wondering if the next tank will have a larger than 122 miles flip. :lol:
Last edited by gltriker on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

When searching for the recommended oil change interval in the 1978 pub. date Honda GL1000 service manual Maintenance matrix few months ago, I read 7,500 miles. For the oil and filter, the same miles.

At 3,000 miles, for the first time since changing the oil and filter earlier this year, I added just enough Rotella T to bring the level back to the top line in the window. It had been showing just below mid window to that point. I finally changed the oil and filter, several weeks ago, at 5,000 miles. The oil level was, again, prior to draining it, mid-window. I never suspected the air filter element might be getting restricted by oil vapor. shakehands

Upon checking the factory service manual maintenance matrix for recommended air filter change frequency this morning, I found 7,500 miles. :shock:
Just to think that my engine performance suspicions prior to my ride to the Corning Glass works daytrip, the flip over to reserve miles reduction after my subsequently servicing the carburetors after the Corning trip, etc., was in part remedied by the installation of a new, OEM Honda GL1000 air filter element is eye opening, to say the least. :oops: I will now remove the pukecup hose from the nipple on the air filter housing.

Before I revisit the internals of the carburetors, again, to replace the primary and secondary main jets' o-rings I had ordered several weeks ago from CRC PartII, and have since received, I'll run a couple more tanks of fuel through to determine if the perceived increase in miles to flip over, is a reality.
I also purchased and will install new bowl gaskets, and manifold o-rings with the main jet 0-rings, too.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

I'm a bit slow but finally got around to watching your trike vid. Nice one sir, well done.
"Say not the struggle naught availeth." A H Clough.

'78 GL1000 Trike
1st bike: '58 150cc Ambassador 2 stroke. learned how to chuck it down the road
'31 BSA 500 single long stroke Sloper, dug out of a wall in Sussex, never went that well...
'49 Sunbeam S8, built from bits in '67, used daily, sold to a US biker in '84, still miss it
3 BSA Bantams, now a daughter has one
'78 Honda 500T