Maybe I'll call it Threedom

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Maybe I'll call it Threedom

Post by gltriker »

the wall thickness of the "punkin' " casting was no less than 1/8" in the thinnest area, but not much more, so I had to carefully prep the area where part # 1 was to be welded.
003.JPG
003.JPG (69.25 KiB) Viewed 458 times
the first attempt to weld p/n 1 to the cast housing was a study in frustration, to say the least!
I'd worried and thought and rung my hands and lost sleep over the probability that only the worst could happen when my neighbor Pat struck an arc with a rod. I discussed my worse fears with him and I thought we were on the same page, BEFORE he started. not knowing what the housing was made of -- cast or nodular or whatever -- it was a crapshoot what would happen. (I didn't want to offend him and tell him I'd rather have a guy up the road mig or tig weld the joint, entirely against my better judgement) He tacked the adaptor in several places, let it cool, then suddenly he struck another arc and continued longer than I would have. I stopped him, and within 10seconds I heard a sickening "tink".... OhNo! 180 degrees from that last strike, it had fractured one of the tacks. Thank the lord the gas powered welder was at least 50' the other side of a closed garage door. I was able to tighten the clamp load I'd designed into the set-up and successfully, with crossed fingers and toes, reduced the fracture site gap and he tacked again as I directed to draw it all back into alignment. At that point, we agreed this was beyond his expertise, and I took it to the guy up the road. Mig welding the joint together went seamlessly, to my great relief.
015.JPG
015.JPG (32.34 KiB) Viewed 458 times
I'd been extremely fearful that whatever method that would be employed to join the parts, a burn through or warping of the housing would seriously jeopardize the bearing cup and oil seal bore, but praise the lord, it didn't happen. The "guy up the road" understood my concerns, and performed flawlessly.
Last edited by gltriker on Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Maybe I'll call it Threedom?

Post by gltriker »

Now, I'll present the preliminary assemblages of all the hand modified, and machinery manufactured components, to better illustrate where all the considerable expended efforts brought me. The square tube anchor welded to the left axle tube is what the other leg of the swingarm is bolted to, via a plate welded to the aforenoted leg. It looks rather off kilter, but that's the cleanest and most efficient method I could concoct to join them together . It's asymmetrical in appearance because the pinion shafts' centerline is at least 1 1/2 inches below the axle shafts' centerline. The same interface method served the purpose very well on the CB900C trike, and unbelievably didn't fail against the automobile wreck impact forces. It's not mentioned before that I grafted approximately 6 inches of length to the left swingarm leg via a tube section I took from a GL1100 swingarm I'd won off eBay as a prototype review component back in 2006. I was shocked to find that the rectangular tubing section is only 0.065" thick when I cut both the 900C and the GL1100 swingarms! Subsequently, I located a length of 1" x 1 1/2" x 1/8" rectangular tube to puddle weld inside the entire length to reinforce it.
029.JPG
029.JPG (63.16 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Here's the GL1000 driveshaft with the 900C female coupler laying on the swingarm/axle assembly, approximating their placement in the system I've enjoyed sharing with y'all.attachment=1]028.JPG[/attachment]
025.JPG
025.JPG (54.5 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Attachments
028.JPG
028.JPG (65.37 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Last edited by gltriker on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

We've had an unusually mild winter here in central N.Y. state, with less than 51 inches of snow total, so far. That's how this old man, :oldies with his cane constantly in hand, was successful to somewhat comfortably continue to develope this sorely needed freedom machine through the winter. Hence, Threedom is a morph of three wheels and freedom for me. I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers on the purists who might see this modification as an abomination. I think my fears are unfounded though from my almost daily visits and gainful experiences within this group. tumb2

anyhoo, a month or so ago...... the axle assembly was sitting on my tailgate, the 900C swingarm was installed on my "75 1000, and 2 of my sons were available to carry the axle into my shed where I had them place it on 2 jackstands behind the bike, which sat supported on its centerstand. I directed them how to slide the axle forward to engage the swingarm and I bolted them together. So slick they were impressed. The 3 bolts that hold the swingarm driveshaft tube flange went in easily because the holes are a bit larger diameter than the 3/8" bolts. Remarkably, the 2 bolts for the left swingarm mount, went into their respective holes with no jockeying of the axle required!
100_4168.JPG
100_4168.JPG (75.18 KiB) Viewed 457 times
the 1" square tube section you see hanging down from the upper shock anchors are there to assist me to fabricate both lower shock anchors
100_4169.JPG
100_4169.JPG (54.19 KiB) Viewed 457 times
I made two cross links to bolt through the two vertical tubes to align the tubes in two planes. Parallel vertically from the rear view, and parallel from the side view, as well.
100_4246.JPG
100_4246.JPG (67.22 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Last Sunday, the co-builder of the 900C trike stopped by, totally unaware of my project, and was amazed at what I'd accomplished since we last talked. At that time I was working on the shocks' anchor fabrication, and was puzzling what the normal height of the GL1000 would be in its stock configuration. I posed the question on the board, and the next day Terry and his wife had been kind enough to have worked in concert, and gave me the approximate dimension i'd asked for! Thanks, AGAIN! Terry and his better half!!

With that info in mind now, I measured the lowest height of the bike at the pivot bolt centerline I could achieve, and still have access on the GM housing to fabricate and place a lower shock anchor mount, successfully.
100_4247.JPG
100_4247.JPG (47.36 KiB) Viewed 457 times
100_4248.JPG
100_4248.JPG (66.19 KiB) Viewed 457 times
next! ran out of room for attachments again.....
Last edited by gltriker on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

right hand shock anchor's installation, continued....
100_4251.JPG
100_4251.JPG (66.16 KiB) Viewed 455 times
100_4252.JPG
100_4252.JPG (51.15 KiB) Viewed 455 times
100_4255.JPG
100_4255.JPG (61.57 KiB) Viewed 455 times
I manufactured a shock anchor for the left swingarm leg on Thursday, which was quite a bit more involved by the nature of the angle the leg skews outwards from the drive tube centerline as it heads towards the rear axle. I didn't have much time available Friday to fit it and clamp it in place for the "guy up the road" to weld in place for me. It's a critical process to maintain its position, because I have to remove the swingarm and carry it to him, without disturbing the placement of the anchor in the mix.

So..... here I am. Heading for Myrtle Beach next week. I'll be thinking about Threedom quite often in that much warmer, brighter neck of the woods.

I still have to replace the front fork seals, and attend to the front brakes. Sand, primer and paint the fuel tank, have my exhaust adaptors bent to couple the exhaust headers and the new Softail mufflers from eBay, etc., etc., etc.

The project came a long way, and I hope to be able to chronicle its development for y'all again, soon!

ciao fer now!
Cliff
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Very nice work, I'm impressed. Of course it doesn't take much to impress me :shock: . I'm curious to know the width of your rear wheel base. It looks quite substantial even after shortening both axles. That a good thing though as it adds stability. My wife's California Sidecar kit on her 1800 has a 60" rear wheel base and it stays planted on the road with no hint of lifting either wheel in a tight turn at speed.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

very nice work, and well thought out. keep the pictures coming
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

You've done a great job chronicling this build, and it looks to be a fantastic project. It's great of you to share the process and how you have solved the problems.

Can't wait to see more. Have fun in the sun (though I think your mind will still be in the shop :orange ).
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Sagebrush wrote:Very nice work, I'm impressed. Of course it doesn't take much to impress me :shock: . I'm curious to know the width of your rear wheel base. It looks quite substantial even after shortening both axles. That a good thing though as it adds stability. My wife's California Sidecar kit on her 1800 has a 60" rear wheel base and it stays planted on the road with no hint of lifting either wheel in a tight turn at speed.
Thanks for your interest and compliments Dean .
The shortened axle width is 47" outside axle flange surface to the opposite flange. Without having decided what wheels I'll use at this point, I'm roughly approximating the overall length with tires and wheels installed will be 52", max ? And, as I'd pointed out early in this thread, the GM axle is "huge"; probably a 200 lb. difference when comparing a lightweight Pinto set-up to the GM!

With the Pinto rear axle set-up, the 900C trike was approximately 54" outside tread edge to the opposite outside tread edge. I used 265/50 -15 tires on that one, roughly approximating the diameter of the stock rear wheel removed, to maintain a similar attitude of the stock to modified version geometry. It was Very stable, even when I struck a very rough pothole with one wheel at 60mph one real dark night! My buddy and his wife, riding ahead of me almost lost control of his Roadking. I saw them skew sideways, but didn't know why until I hit it, too. It also gave a good report afterwards to the structural integrity of our swingarm.
Even when the rear end crash happened, and my wife took me to see the wrecked bike, I noted no part of the system had been broken. The drive tube had twisted, witnessed by crinkled paint near the flange. The left leg was twisted. too. who woulda thunk, HUH?!

The biggest challenge left to finishing the rear axle mods, will be setting up the rear brakes' system. My right leg is affected neurologically thanks to a head injury I sustained 13 days after my 18th birthday, almost 45 years ago in August. Therefore, I have to use my left foot for that purpose.
Its been a constant study as I go along to figure out what diameter master cylinder I'll need, perhaps a Wilwood unit?, how I'm going to link to it, where to place it and on and on and on..... After the exhaust system is in place, the fuel tank is in place, the rear shocks are in place, and it's sitting on its own wheels, I'll finally have a better perspective of what space is available and where to start designing.

cheerio, Dean!

Cliff
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Roady wrote:You've done a great job chronicling this build, and it looks to be a fantastic project. It's great of you to share the process and how you have solved the problems.

Can't wait to see more. Have fun in the sun (though I think your mind will still be in the shop :orange ).
Yep, I've had a good time, Steve, showing off my project. Unless I'm actively engaged in something else, my mind tends to gravitate towards the remaining details, just as you'd observed.

"I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride"...... :-D

toodles for now!

Cliff
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

CYBORG wrote:very nice work, and well thought out. keep the pictures coming
Thanks for the compliment, CYBORG!

One thing I've been very aware of, as I post photos, is that everything that is alignment critical, looks so out of whack that I'm almost embarassed to show them.
Trust me, I've sweated the details. My magnetic base protractor and, in certain limited access locations, 6" spirit level are not strangers to the build! :lol:

if you insist, I'll keep y'all in the loop as Threedom continues to evolve, OK? tumb2

ciao fer now!

Cliff
Last edited by gltriker on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

gltriker wrote:
CYBORG wrote:very nice work, and well thought out. keep the pictures coming
if you insist, I'll keep y'all in the loop as Threedom continues to evolve, OK? tumb2

ciao fer now!

Cliff
Ah yes, as a matter of fact we do insist. Keep the pics and reports coming.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Hydrocarbon Rocket
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member
RIP: 1976-2013

Post by Hydrocarbon Rocket »

What keeps the pre load on the pinion bearings? Did you cut off the threads for the pinion nut? I know it takes alot to mash the crush sleeve between the 2 pinion bearings in that gm rear. I would also be concerned about that eaton governor lock. I don't know how a trike handles but, if one wheel comes of the ground around a turn and turns about 10 more times than the one on the ground, it will violently lock into pause traction mode. That is a tuff set up for off-road but, ify on a trike.

You are doing a great job on this build and I am in no way trying to cause you grief or put down what you are doing. I'm just curious about things.
Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. Luke 11:35 KJV
http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28320
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

howdy hydro-R
all those trac- loc style differentials require input torque to "lock up"
I bet the GW motor has little enough torque and the overall light weight will never be enough load to lock it up at all.
IMHO
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
Hydrocarbon Rocket
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member
RIP: 1976-2013

Post by Hydrocarbon Rocket »

fish wrote:howdy hydro-R
all those trac- loc style differentials require input torque to "lock up"
I bet the GW motor has little enough torque and the overall light weight will never be enough load to lock it up at all.
IMHO
That one is not a trac loc. I have one just like it in a 08 silverado. You can jack one tire up off ground, turn the driveshaft with your hand and within 10 turns of the tire off ground it will lock solid. Its not a limeted slip unit, it is a full locker when engaged.
Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. Luke 11:35 KJV
http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28320
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Hydrocarbon Rocket wrote:What keeps the pre load on the pinion bearings? Did you cut off the threads for the pinion nut? I know it takes alot to mash the crush sleeve between the 2 pinion bearings in that gm rear. I would also be concerned about that eaton governor lock. I don't know how a trike handles but, if one wheel comes of the ground around a turn and turns about 10 more times than the one on the ground, it will violently lock into pause traction mode. That is a tuff set up for off-road but, ify on a trike.

You are doing a great job on this build and I am in no way trying to cause you grief or put down what you are doing. I'm just curious about things.

Thanks for the compliment Hydro, and you don't cause me even one iota of grief or seemingly any type of disrespect, my good sir!!

anyhoo.....

Yep, Hydrocarbon Rocket, the choice to use the Eaton Locker axle was more than a little thought provoking, but as you'll have read earlier on, either I decided to buy this one, or most likely, return to a zero state of progress, again. YouTube provided a whole truckload of videos of operation and design information. Interesting too!!

But, I don't foresee to lift a wheel, causing a 100rpm difference in wheel differential speeds, and subsequently locking the diff is in the cards for this trike. Improbable, but I'll grant you, not entirely impossible. The only axle I'd ever lifted was the inside wheel in a left hand turn, with completely too much zeal, on my '53 Servi-car when I was 22.
The beloved late CB900C trike never broke traction. :lol: well almost when I'd dumped the clutch at 8,000 rpm, and left 2 ghostlike 265/50x15 burnout witness marks on the pavement! And taking into consideration the GL1000 Threedom set-up is SO much heavier than the CB900C was, I'll NOT be doing something that bizarre, again. Plus, I have a great deal of respect for this 37 years old masterpiece of Honda engineering, and promise y'all not to be reckless with it!

Yes, HCRocket, the 2 opposing GM pinion bearings do have to be loaded against the crush sleeve, just as you'd noted, but I hadn't given any insight into how that was accomplished, yet. If you're familiar with the GM 8.5 10 bolt differential housing and internals, and I believe you and many other astute, and wise beyond compare, NGW members are, I'll have to get a few more photos together to detail how the, "Companion flange", ( that's what GM Parts nomenclature identified it as) was altered, to end load the 2 GM pinion bearings, AND still provide the surface for the OEM GM pinion shaft oilseal, slightly modified too, to seal against. Smoke and mirrors?

Cliff
Last edited by gltriker on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides: