Todd's "Hoping For a Quickie" refresh...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Kriss
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Todd's "Hoping For a Quickie" refresh...

Post by Kriss »

action1 Welcome back, anim-cheers1
5x GL1000S, 2x GL1500,
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Sunday, March 4. Work Day Nine:

Seeing as I couldn't continue on the carbs, the brake components became the next victims. Here's my little setup to pump out the pistons...
Quickie 030312 011.jpg
Quickie 030312 011.jpg (59.65 KiB) Viewed 574 times
The master cyl. is mounted on a broom handle held in a vise. Then just a quick bleed until the piston starts to move... I keep a little bottle of "collected" brake fluid just for this purpose. Just need to keep the level in the cup up until the piston pops out, then on to the next...

Here's a couple of the calipers before I got started...
Quickie 030312 007.jpg
Quickie 030312 007.jpg (43.55 KiB) Viewed 574 times
Quickie 030312 008.jpg
Quickie 030312 008.jpg (55.74 KiB) Viewed 574 times
And one of the pistons...
Quickie 030312 009.jpg
Quickie 030312 009.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 574 times
Lots of crusty crud, but there is very little pitting on any of the pistons. The outside rubber covers are whole, but weather checked/cracked in the folds. May or may not be saveable. I'll be digging into the calipers later in the week, cleaning and checking out the rubber rings inside. I also have yet to get into the master cylinders, but I might be having to go whole hog on kits, rather than risk poor performance/failure...

Tuesday, March 6 is the next day at the shop, when I hope to get started on the gas tank clean-up and de-rusting the frame...

Thanks for following along! dancr anim-cheers1 action1

Todd
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Marc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Marc »

Maybe it's just me, but I don't reuse pistons that are a little pitted, and the o-rings can't be in good shape. I would go with your last comment, "I might be having to go whole hog on kits, rather than risk poor performance/failure..." I think that is wise advice.
Shalom, Marc

1975 GL1000 "Dresser"
1976 GL1000 Project Bike
1979 GL1000 Naked
2007 Triumph Bonneville
1970 Norton Commando
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

You sure are making good progress Todd, I agree with Marc on the brakes as there is no room for margin in braking in my book. Love seeing you moving the bar so fast.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Thanks for the advice, guys. The pitting looks to be above the line where the seal would ride in the caliper. At least at this point, I'm holding on to that hope! Pretty sure I'll be getting the kits though.

At some point this week, I've got to sit down and make a list of all the stuff I need, and do a price projection. That will begin to tell me where I can go, and how long this will take as funds will begin to limit what I can accomplish. Right now, I feel like I'm jumping around from one thing to the next, with little rhyme or reason, just to see what the bike needs.

Trying to decide if I want to take the time and drill the rotors. I've read that it really improves the wet braking on these bikes. I need to review a couple of threads about that, too.

Planshave changed for tomorrow, (Tuesday) as the Wifey's car lost the muffler this afternoon... Oh well, it needs an oil change too, so it'll keep me out of mischief for a while...

Todd

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Basically drilled rotors don't "improve" wet braking, they"create" it! ;)
I wouldn't think pitting on the pistons would be much of a problem unless it's really bad.pitting in the bores is another story!
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

brakes are overrated.... who needs them anyway.... LOL
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Thursday, March 8. Work Day 10:

Thursday was dedicated to a chemical treatment of the gas tank. I used the muriatic acid process Placerville outlined in one of his early posts. Unfortunately, I didn't print it out, and was a little mixed up on the process, so I didn't completely finish it. I also had issues with the reserve pick-up line being plugged, which took up quite a bit more time than I wanted. I'm going to have to revisit this on Saturday due to some flash rust issues.

Also, I couldn't believe that the acid didn't take care of the goo covering the screen of the reserve pick-up, and some bits stuck in the bottom seam. I was stymied by this, figuring that if the acid didn't take care of it what would? My FIL looked at it and said, "Just spray it with carb cleaner!" which is exactly what I did. And, it worked! Whatever the residual crap was, it covered up more rust, so back I go with what I hope is a less intense but more proper cleaning on Saturday.

Here's a couple of pics of the pick-up screen. BTW, this was after two hours...
Quickie 030812 001.jpg
Quickie 030812 001.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Quickie 030812 002.jpg
Quickie 030812 002.jpg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Quickie 030812 003.jpg
Quickie 030812 003.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 531 times
The screen was coated even more thickly than in the pics. I had already gotten a little breakup of the coating after finally getting a small piece of bicycle brake cable through the line from the petcock end and blasting air through the line. I will definitely need to go back in there...

And some pesky flash rust (?) that popped up while I was messing around trying to get the pick-up line unplugged:
Quickie 030812 004.jpg
Quickie 030812 004.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 531 times
I'm now trying to work up a list of all the known parts needed so I have some idea of my nest expenditures...

Thanks for following,
Todd

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

to get my gas lines clear, I first tried shooving a speedo cable down (didn't work) finally did several times of actually putting the acid down the holes where the petcock does.... finally it cleared up.

just be careful not to breathe the fumes of the acid
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Well, after being sidetracked for a while because of having to do some "real" work, and then my being nearly derailed all together by the flu, Quickie goes back onto the operating table today! Wee Haw! Got most of the parts needed to get the engine running and the forks redone, worked through most of the brake stuff here and there while I was ill. Now to paint the gas tank, clean up the frame, and get stuff going back together!!!

Todd

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Great to see you back at it.
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Respites are okay when of a Quickie nature like yours. So glad to see you back in operation.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

No pictures at the moment, but Thursday saw the shop cleaned up (again) and the bike back on the lift. I started trying to knock stuff off my list, and did a bit more clean-up on the frame, pulled the oil screen and picked off a bunch of little scabs of silicone goop that (I'm assuming) had made it's way into the crankcase from the heads. Also cleaned up the gasket surfaces for the valve covers, and ended up with a nice little pile of silicone. I hate that stuff!!

Saturday saw some real progress. I unpacked all my parts orders and laid them out: Cascade Cycle's http://cascadecycle.com/ "New2U" kit, which includes 2 new Gates timing belts, thermostat, radiator cap, 4 NGK plugs, Gates radiator hose, thermostat housing o-ring, and lower water pump/radiator hose o-ring. Great price, super prompt shipping (ordered Monday morning, got it in the mail on Wednesday!), and great quality parts! Got new valve cover gaskets, cover bolt gaskets, and exhaust donuts from http://www.siriusconinc.com/index.php . By far the best prices for these that I could find, but shipping was sssslllllloooooowwwwwww... Last, I ordered some genie Honda knick knacks from my local Honda dealer, which I can do online, and pick up in the store with no shipping charge. Now if they would just process the order a bit faster...

Anyway, by the end of Saturday, Quickie was wearing new timing belts, had her valves adjusted, valve covers on, new plugs in, and was begging for carbs. Not just yet, Dearie, not just yet...

Todd

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Roady

Post by Roady »

I love the smell of new parts in the morning. :-)
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Wow. I just hate to think I had to go back seven pages to find this thread. Good news is that I'm resurrecting it! Quick update on the Quickie project! Right now the bike is in a storage unit a couple of miles from my house. I had been working on it in my FIL's shop. Unfortunately, due to health reasons, he lost his shop, and I had to help him sell, find a home for, dispose of, or move twenty plus years of accumulated junk (and my cycle stuff) in less than three weeks. That took care of the month of June, and I've spent much of my free time since trying to help him whittle away at three storage units full of crap, as well as making his '57 Ford Retractable somewhat presentable to sell.

I finally got one storage unit cleaned out enough to set up the lift, and get back at the bike! action1 The sticking point up until now was the gas tank, and yesterday, I finally got everything together enough to do Placerville's acid soak, followed by a nice lining of Red-Kote. While that cures, I plan to finish touching up some surface rust on the frame, and get the carbs installed by the weekend.

Overall, the plan for Quickie is to get her in rolling form, even though she won't be road ready. I want to get her running at least, this fall. Right now, I can afford to either go through the brake system (new lines, kits, and pads), or new tires, but not both. The existing tires at least hold air, so they will stay through the winter, as I squirrel away more cash. So, now I'm back searching for the best price/quality on stainless lines, as well as brake kits, etc...

I'm feeling pretty good about this project again, and happy to be back wrenchin,' and playing on NGW!

Todd

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.