Taken my time restoring an LTD

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: chrome and a LTD

Post by rcmatt007 »

will keep that in mind, thanks. Actually I also have the OEM rear end (the bikes not mine). it does have after market shocks, but lets face it 35 year old shocks are probably shot.

Right now there is a thunder head over altus.... maybe.... just maybe
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I got the "aluminum" coloured powder coat and tested it on a peice of metal... (I know...useless without pics) and it is a tad darker than the honda engine colour. I would really prefer to powder coat the parts with the now-bad chrome rather than paint them, because of the durability issues

edited to add pictures

-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

well here is duplicolor compared to the powder coat.... while I sure would prefer powder cat durability the rattle can sure has a closest colour

-Rodger-
1CrazyMoFo
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 1CrazyMoFo »

day and night almost.
The truth about Ape Hangers, yes they are very slimming.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

yeah.... no way you could put a powder coat peice next to the OEM without it REALLY standing out
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I have moved this over to the resto forum

so I have taken out the plugs, taken off the radiator, the timing belt covers, spared some liqued wrench "down the hole" and it turns over just fine

take a look at what I found though....

left side timing belt cover (the black round thing is a fork cap that was jammed between the frame and timing belt)
check my ebay account as I will have some used timing belts for sale
threw in this picture "just because" The early wings had a timing belt cover like the bottom one, the later ones are like the top-off my 79 project) (and aftermarket chrome covers are like to top as well). Extra brownie points for those who know the difference and why.
-Rodger-
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

you talking about the drain slots?
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

yes, really obvious when you know they are there. the orginal wings did not have them and, when you see the rust (and water that drained) you can see why they were added.
-Rodger-
polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

Rodger, I am enjoying your LTD thread. I would like to find a similar LTD one day and do the same. Keep the pics coming. I do however think it is time for a better title to your resto thread. Keep up the good work and I'll keep thinking cool thoughts for you Okies!
Hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes!

1977 Candy Sirus Blue Wing (gone but not forgotten!): Ernie's 77 Resto
1998 Yellow/Creme Valkyrie (sold): Valk Redo
1976 Sulfur Yellow Wing (sold): Melloyellow to live again
1976 LTD #1353 (sold): And away we go . . . . LTD style
1970 CT90 (sold): Had too much time on my hands so . . .
1/4 of 1975 Wing #898 (Sold): Team 898 - raised from the ashes
70ish Benelli Dynamo Scrambler (sold): Erector Set/Treasure Hunt aka Benelli Dynamo
1/6 of 1976 LTD #993 (Sold): LTD 993 . . . and so it begins
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Re: Taken my time restoring an LTD

Post by rcmatt007 »

changed the title of the thread.

I did order a different powder coat from eastwood. The first attempt was "cast aluminum" the new one is "brushed aluminum". I took a look at some "chroming" sites and I bet it would be about one ben per piece to re chrome them.... I may play a doctor on TV, but that ain't in the budget.
-Rodger-
Graham Cracker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Graham Cracker »

One ben per piece and then some, but it's the right thing to do. Don't wish you had but.... devil1
Mark

1975 GL 1000 Candy Antares Red
1976 GL 1000 Sulfur Yellow
1977 GL 1000 Pearl White
1978 GL 1000 Candy Limited Maroon
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the best, as you say, would be to send them off to re-chrome. (first I gotta finish paying off the bike). I have a couple of options. I still have some OEM covers I polished, which could go on, and these could be set aside for later. Or smooth and prep them and powder coat or paint the "aluminum" they were OEM
-Rodger-
Dog Boy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dog Boy »

Rodger are you trying to restore to original or slightly modified?

I personally (very biased towards original) would use the polished parts and run with it.

"Choose your weapon Sir"

AL
They call me "Dog Boy"

Can't blame the "PO"
Original owner 76 LTD
Team 993
reidransom
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by reidransom »

RebelRouser wrote:Sleep All Day And Tinker All Night...
That's my method. Pictures never come out good, though. Also there's the skeeters to contend with.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

My plan is to make this as OEM as possible. Although, as I started on this thread, I know almost all of us chromed head and belt covers (and other parts as well) so they would look good and stand the test of time.
-Rodger-