Taken my time restoring an LTD

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Taken my time restoring an LTD

Post by dbtroudy »

I too have had good luck with the products SCI stocks for the GL1000. Good fit - especially on their brake lines and connections.

Don
DBTroudy
Fullerton, CA

'03 GW GL1800 Yellow
'76 GW GL1000 LTD #859
'75 CB200T
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

they look exactly like the ones I got from CM, they probably would work, but when you add up the extra 3+ inches and then the cock-eyed angle, they just end up looing funny. Been a week and I have not heard from CM.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

here is what I am going to go with for the lower brake lines. It comes in black and so while not OEM will look close. then banjo fittings attched

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... Lines.aspx

-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

here is a couple of pics showing the lines, top to bottom (aftermarket rubber, OEM, russell)

and the other side showing the mength desrepancy. I went with 19" russells, then you had to add for the banjo fittings. when you really straighten them out the russell is about 2" longer than OEM and 1.5" shorted than the after market.... then there is the aftermarket "kink" in the banjos

-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

okay.... have some good news and some so-so news

put in a battery.... drained the OLD gas and put in fresh gas (also did the double filter thing)

finally got it to fire up

killed or ran off every misquito for several blocks.... woooweee lots of smoke

ran with the throttle opened, but not at idle

gas is leaking somewhere over where the right side carbs attach to the plenum. So it really looks like time to send some money to randakk and pull the carbs.
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

started it up again yesterday. No belching smoke this time. Actually would idle (rough). other thean the pesky gas leak. things are in the right direction
-Rodger-
Dangeruss

Post by Dangeruss »

action1 . . . we like good news.
Russ
2016 K1600GT
75 GL1000 Project

States visited by Goldwing...
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the engine paint under that pesky gas leak is all crinkled and gone, so I think that has been happening for some time. So I will pull out the cabrs to fix that. Right now I just want to get it running and then finish up the '79.
-Rodger-
dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dbtroudy »

I am having a similar problem with my #1 carb body dripping gas on the engine block and wrinkling the paint. I followed Randakk’s suggestion of replacing stripped carb bowl threads with a Time-Serts and I think the #1 float bowl gasket isn’t properly sealing against the carb body due to a raised T-Sert. I’ll have to pull the carb rack again and check. So much for my new engine paint job.

Don
Diamond Bar, CA
DBTroudy
Fullerton, CA

'03 GW GL1800 Yellow
'76 GW GL1000 LTD #859
'75 CB200T
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

today I drove it about 1/2 mile over to the quilt shop where Beth works..... hmmmmm, it is ALWAYS in neutral (well according to the light). The starter switch is intermitent. The clutch is way too far out before it works. And the rear shocks were WAY TO STIFF for this sized guy.... but it ran (okay it backfired a bit too. When I parked it on the sidestand in the driveway and then came back and started it to put in the garage, left smoke again. I bet the rings will need some time to set.

That really sucks about your paint
-Rodger-
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

That sounds pretty darn good to me. Just imagine how great it will preform once it is out of neutral!
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

also I noticed the red "taillight" light on the panel lights when I step on the brake.. yeah if it goes fast in neutral, just wait until it is in gear!
-Rodger-
redwood
Forum Greeter
Forum Greeter

Post by redwood »

rcmatt007 wrote:today I drove it about 1/2 mile over to the quilt shop where Beth works..... hmmmmm, it is ALWAYS in neutral (well according to the light).

We were all thrilled at the Quilt shop to see it! action1
Redwood

Three amazing Grandsons and a beautiful granddaughter, four great kids, two crazy cats, a husband who is fun to have around and two great motorcycles, one is an 1200 Interstate currently apart being painted and a Harley. (hey, I believe in riding, and everyone should ride what they love. And I happen to have MBS)
dbtroudy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dbtroudy »

Roger, You may already know that the neutral light is a notorious problem on GW 1000's. Fortunately they default to being on. You can check out a couple of different ways to fix the neutral switch on the engine block by searching the tech forum. A couple of people have tried putting some MMO in the engine oil and running it awhile to loosen up the spring/ball mechanism inside the switch. Replacing the neutral switch is a pain since you have to losen the motor mount frame bolts and push the frame away to get the switch out. The simple fix is to put a piece of black tape over the light and ignore it until the next time you pull the engine from the frame. Otherwise, congtrats on bringing another old LTD back to life!

Don
Diamond Bar, CA
DBTroudy
Fullerton, CA

'03 GW GL1800 Yellow
'76 GW GL1000 LTD #859
'75 CB200T
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

rcmatt007 wrote:also I noticed the red "taillight" light on the panel lights when I step on the brake..
Check to make sure the taillight bulb is not burned out. If it is not then make sure the ground for the taillight and the socket are in good condition. If it still does it then it may be the RLU.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder