Taken my time restoring an LTD

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Graham Cracker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Taken my time restoring an LTD

Post by Graham Cracker »

IMHO if it's steel chrome it. If it's aluminum polish it. Whatever you do to it Rodger you're going to end up with a real gem. That's why they call 'em LTD action1
Mark

1975 GL 1000 Candy Antares Red
1976 GL 1000 Sulfur Yellow
1977 GL 1000 Pearl White
1978 GL 1000 Candy Limited Maroon
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

the tough thing with some of the parts is they were already chromed, but alas, after 35 years it is showing its age. To polish you would have to get all the chrome off. however, good news is OEM valve and belt covers are easy to come by, and they were not different on the LTD vs the standard model.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Sunday I will get a picture up. Tried the "brushed aluminum" powdercoat. It is really close to the OEM engine paint HOWEVER, it is sparkley (brushed) and so is not like the semi glass of OEM.... so here is the dilemma. Could use it to powder coat the transmission v=cover, oil filter cover and water pump housing, because powdercoat is so much more durable.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

just a quick update. located some non-chromed head and belt covers and a right sided new chromed AMP belt cover rummaging through "stuff" up at the big house.

so far in powder coat have tried "cast aluminum"--too dark. "brushed aluminum" -- color right but gritty and sparklely... so I have ordered some hi-temp silver and will give that a try when it arrives. Too darn hot around here to do much work anyway
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

pictures do not quite translate well but here are the colors.... to your left is brushed aluminum powdercoat (color right but sparkles)... middle-top duplicolour (best match).... middle-bottom is cast aluminum powdercoat (too dark).... and on the right is hi-temp silver powder. In real life it is "in-between" the duplicolor and cast aluminum.... as powdercoat is much more durable, this is what I will use

took off the front brakes.... waddayathink... rebuild and powdercoat? :roll:

-Rodger-
polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

Is powdercoating more resistant to brake fluid spills? After I painted mine with caliper paint, they looked great except where some brake fluid got on them at the bleeder valve. I need to touch them up, but too many things to do right now.
Hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes!

1977 Candy Sirus Blue Wing (gone but not forgotten!): Ernie's 77 Resto
1998 Yellow/Creme Valkyrie (sold): Valk Redo
1976 Sulfur Yellow Wing (sold): Melloyellow to live again
1976 LTD #1353 (sold): And away we go . . . . LTD style
1970 CT90 (sold): Had too much time on my hands so . . .
1/4 of 1975 Wing #898 (Sold): Team 898 - raised from the ashes
70ish Benelli Dynamo Scrambler (sold): Erector Set/Treasure Hunt aka Benelli Dynamo
1/6 of 1976 LTD #993 (Sold): LTD 993 . . . and so it begins
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I don't know. it definetly is more resiliant tahn rattle cans and even automotive paint. I believe caliper paint is a formula which is resiliant to the esthers in brake fluid... and the OEM paint is a PITA to get off
-Rodger-
davhj
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by davhj »

Hey Rodger, just another option I've been using Rust-Oleum High Heat 7716 heat resistant silver on the 75 & 77 wings I'm working on and it is the closest to to stock honda engine silver I could find.
Dave
Dave,
1974 Honda CB750
1975 Honda GL1000
1977 Honda GL1000
1990 Sea Ray 350 Express Cruiser
2000 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=46946 (My Preservation Restoration)
polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

I was wondering what your game plan was on removing the oem paint. I tried on the 76 yellow and after a BRIEF time, decided that a simple repaint was in order.
Hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes!

1977 Candy Sirus Blue Wing (gone but not forgotten!): Ernie's 77 Resto
1998 Yellow/Creme Valkyrie (sold): Valk Redo
1976 Sulfur Yellow Wing (sold): Melloyellow to live again
1976 LTD #1353 (sold): And away we go . . . . LTD style
1970 CT90 (sold): Had too much time on my hands so . . .
1/4 of 1975 Wing #898 (Sold): Team 898 - raised from the ashes
70ish Benelli Dynamo Scrambler (sold): Erector Set/Treasure Hunt aka Benelli Dynamo
1/6 of 1976 LTD #993 (Sold): LTD 993 . . . and so it begins
6adan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by 6adan »

I have been wondering if powdercoat on aluminum is going to do the same thing as chrome on aluminum in a few years.
79 GL1000,75 GL1000,76 GL1000 LTD,70 CB750k JDM, 79 CBX, 2000 Valkyrie CT 2008 Goldwing Roadsmith
Trike and another 76 LTD bad shape, and several more for parts.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

probably not anymore than paint on aluminum, i would think. Maybe DEEK knows he has done a lot of powder. To get the paint off... wire wheel and a light touch

so, I think these look nice... maybe I should start charging (only if the owner does the stripping first!

-Rodger-
bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by bob »

rcmatt007 wrote:probably not anymore than paint on aluminum, i would think. Maybe DEEK knows he has done a lot of powder. To get the paint off... wire wheel and a light touch

so, I think these look nice... maybe I should start charging (only if the owner does the stripping first!

Rodger,

Are the calipers powder coated? I've got my calipers all stripped, and was fixin' to paint, but I'd prefer p/c. Are you interested?

Bob
75 GL1000, blue-green, 49K
81 GL1100 basket case
86 Aspencade, runs good, no clutch
82 Standard, rider
84 Standard, finally! Project bike, Thanks again, Dave...

I AM the man from Nantucket.....
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

yes, I used to be skeptical about powder coating, but I do enough messing around with projects I finally put out for a $100 basic gun from eastwood, and a $100 toaster oven from wallmart. And discovered it is incredibally easy to do. As you have found out, the stripping off the old stuff that is a pita. So yes, could do them for you.
-Rodger-
rogue1000
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by rogue1000 »

In your spare time, Rodger? You are the busiest guy I know....not that that is a bad thing, of course... :lol:
Brian Crow
1977 gl1000, with California sidecar
"KBO"!! Keep bungling on! Winston Churchill
"Bound is boatless man"
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the weather finally is reasonable here.... been below 100 since monday...

now about that spare time... well.... heading out to the eastern run on the 16th and back the 27th (which includes a visit to DC to see our daughter)
-Rodger-