Pauls GL 1000 Project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

Initial Compression Test:

I returned home today with my New Harbor Freight $15.99 Compression Tester. Since my engine is sitting on the ground I had to pull my truck around to use it's battery. Because the engine hasn't been run since November - and then for just a minute - I added a squirt of oil to each cylinder. Then I cranked the engine over a moment, let it sit a minute or two, cranked it again, let it sit and then cranked it again.

OK, the initial compression tests with this method look pretty good. Hopefully they are representative of the real thing! I've decided not to pull the heads! So, this is going to take some work to replace the valve seals. I'll be using the method described elsewhere here on the forum. Between the chord and the air pressure method, I'm opting for the air method. I don't want to add anything to the cylinder that I'll get stuck in there!

So, the Results!
  • Cylinder 1 ... 186
  • Cylinder 2 ... 182
  • Cylinder 3 ... 180
  • Cylinder 4 ... 190
So, after I get the engine back on the bike and I put a few 100 miles on it (heck that's just a week!) I'll compression test again...
Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked, in the head, by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens. - Capt. Rex Kramer

'78 Honda GL1000 GoldWing
'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

Sounds good to me.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
sodbuster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sodbuster »

paultjack wrote:Next pics will be the final Engine Removal... Stay tuned
Maybe we could use those pics to put in our ShopTalk !!
'06 H-D Road King
'99 Valkyrie Standard - TOTALED :(
'83 GL1100 Standard - SOLD
'82 CB900F - Black & Red - SOLD
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

Ah, well, for the engine removal, I didn't realize that I had taken no photos! I totally forgot!!! :oops: I think that the writeup from Whiskerfish is about as good as you could ever hope for.

But, I do have a gallery of my disassembling of the bike. I don't detail everything but there may be some things to scavage from.
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingma ... sasembly1/

It's amazing how quickly you can take a bike apart once the engine is out! And, I love how very few tools it takes!
Last edited by paultjack on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked, in the head, by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens. - Capt. Rex Kramer

'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

So, I'm still waiting on the frame to come back. And I'm hoping for NO RAIN this weekend. I have tomorrow through Sunday off and hope to have the engine cleaned, primed and painted by Sunday.

In the mean time I'm mulling over the idea while I'm cleaning the clocks of replacing them with a digital setup in an effort to unclutter the tripple tree top.

Here's what I'm mulling over... I'm open to suggestions.

'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

Latest update:

Yesterday was Christmas! I received 3 parts packages in the mail! I now have the timing belts, petcock and valve cover screw seals! A few more parts for the engine and I'll have everything to complete it.

Items needed still, Clutch pack, clutch, throttle, choke and tach cables, breather collector, air cutoff hose. That about does it for the engine!

It's been too cold outside to clean and paint the engine. So, that's being postponed longer than I had wished! Temps are expected to be in the 50's for the rest of the week and so far the expectation is rain for next weekend. I'm sooooo ready for warmer weather!

I cleaned and sanded and painted black one fo the faux tank sides. Origininal concept was to paint it black and then add some decals and some lettering. I showed some friends and it was a no-go! I've since decided on something completely different. I haven't worked out the complete details as to how I'm going to finish it off but for now the colors are Red with royal blue lettering.

I had thought about just selling of the Honda badges but I think they can save me a lot of work! I'll clean them as the gold plating isn't so good anymore and then paint them and put them back on the sides of the tank.

Additionally, I've given the "Electroplating Off Your Rust" techique a try. Washing Soda was totally non-existent in my county. It's probably there somewhere but the cost of trying to find it is just crazy. So, in order to make my own, I purchased baking soda and baked it. The directions for that were at 300F for 20 minutes. I did it at 350F for 30 minutes. The concept is to back the water out thus leaving washing soda. Looked the same when I was done.

Restuls.... Yes, it worked! The only thing to ensure is that you keep the positively charged metal collector clean! That thing gunks up real fast! The more gunk that attaches to it the slower the process.

I'll be cleaning some more parts today so I'll take pictures of it this time.

'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

The display looks cool. Beam me up scottie!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

OK, looking for some help here with the Crankcase/Breather drain.

Honda Air Cleaner

[edit - stealing Roncar's image as it's a bit smaller]

The parts I'm interested in are:
  • 1 - Oil Drain Tube
  • 9 - Drain Valve
  • 10 - Breather Tube B
  • 15 - Storage Tank
  • 34 - Hose 12mm
  • 29 - Tube Joint
  • 30 - Tube 11mm
I think the part I have is #10 - Breather Tube B. This is the part that goes to the crank case right?

What is Part #1? It looks like from the schematic that if I use this drain tube it connects to #29 on the top side but where does it go on the bottom? Or, does this hose attach to #12 and #15 bypassing all the various pieces in the middle?
Last edited by paultjack on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

Assuming you're talking about a '78, Yes #10 goes from the crankcase to #12.

#1 and #'s 30 and 15 are two different paths for the drain depending on when it was built. They both connect to #29 and go thru #34 back to #12. Probably switched from a drain to the road, to a storage tank requiring periodic emptying, about the same time as the carbs were changed from 769's to 771's. Sounds like an EPA type requirement to me.

"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

Thanks Roncar! Without having the actual parts it's sometimes difficult to figure out what the intention is. Now, I just have to decide if I want the storage tank or the "Drain to Road"...

'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

Making a little progress while I wait on the frame to come back from welding. The guy who's doing it hasn't been to church for the past two weeks... :( I hope something hasn't gone wrong with either him or the frame!

One of the previous owners bobbed the intake to the air cleaner. It cleaned up pretty nicely but I still put a fresh coat of black paint inside and out.

Adding some Washing Soda to hot water for rust removal. The next couple of pics document that process. 1/2 cup Washing Soda and 2 gallons of water.

Wired up my parts for the Negative Cable

Parts go into the Bucket. Negative attached to parts, positive to my collector. The coat hanger really doesn't cut it. It's just too small. So, I'm using this nice large bar. As the bar collects the rust it really becomes crusted. The more it's crusted the less efficient the process is. If it gets gunked up simply wipe it down with some steel wool.

In a matter of minutes you'll have rust soup!

It seems the process really loosens the rust. I suppose I could just have left the parts in for a bit longer but after about 2 hours I simply pulled them out and using a soft brush scrubbed the parts and wiped the rust away. Here's the result. Never think doing this will put chrome back on your parts. It simply loosens the rust. You'll end up with exposed metal if you don't seal it with something.

Screwed this up. After tapping new holes in the base of my petcock I proceeded to twist one of the heads off. After analysis it appears I did not complete the tapping therefore the screw could not be screwed in all the way. I didn't realize that and while torquing down the screw the head came right off! I don't think I was turning very hard but obviously it was more than the little guy could have taken! Sunnbob has sent me a replacement for the price of a beer! Thanks!!!!!! This time I'm just going to drill the new holes and put a nut and bold combo! At least then I'll be able to just pull the bolt out!

Here's the Air Cut-Off. Lots of cleaning here! I might get some pretty replacement screws and the old ones look pretty bad.

Lots of rusting and pitting on the clock cases! The option then is to clean them and seal them or paint them. I'm going going with the seal method first. If things don't work out after summer they're going to get flat black paint.

Lights work!

Now, if you've made it this far here's a preview of the painted side covers! The color is more red than these photos show. I have some gold paint that I'll use to paint the pin striping back on and some blue that I'll use for accents. This is the first coating. After this cures I'll sand it a little to remove any imperfections and then add a final coat and then some clear coat. Some buffing along the way and I'm hoping for a mirror finish.

'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Cookie »

What did you do to remove rust on those clocks? That's quite a transformation. I think I'm going to have to figure out how to lube mine, my speedo was whining the other day.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

Good Ole Steel Wool! It does Wonders!!! I prefer 0000 as it doesn't scratch and does a great job at knocking off the rust. For the second one - when I clean it as it's still sitting on the bench - I'm going to use the Washing Soda method to see how it does.

'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Cookie »

I've got to steel wool some stuff that is starting to rust too. The damp of winter sure beats equipment up.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

peteybug
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by peteybug »

Steelwool is great. I use it all the time. One other thing I use is brillo pads. You get soap for lubrication and 0000 steelwool works great.
love new ideas for old wing's. AS I have three and am always working on them

[img]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/peteybug8/motorcycle040-1.jpg[/img][img]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/peteybug8/motorcycle037-1-1.jpg[/img][img]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55/peteybug8/3%20wings/Townworkandbikes036-1.jpg[/img]