Sulfur Yellow Salvage Yard Rescue

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Dr. Dave
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Dr. Dave »

Hi I am a newbie restoring a 76 GL1000 that is sulfur yellow and is currently a full dresser. I won her on an Ebay auction from someone within the state. Called my motorcycle mechanic Dereck in Stewart for an inspection and got the ok to start the project of bringing it back to life. He is loaning me space, a lift, tools and help.

I will include the initial pictures when I figure out how to add them.

Well, my mechanic friend thought he would see if it would run since we picked it up without a battery and found out you do not kickstart a Goldwing with aftermarket heel toe shifter installed. He got it running added some water and found out there was a headgasket problem. Found out the radio works better than the shop radio.

He ordered a topend gasket kit and I started with the wrenching.busting knuckles on frozen bolts, then there was the cleaning and polishing. Looks like the last mechanic had not heard of anti-sieze. Started with the heads and did a valve job. My mechanic friend normally works on toys from the Hundreds of Dollar store, was impressed with the lack of wear on the engine with the bike having 83K miles on it. We still do not know how the last owner ever got the bike to run, we have never seen points worned into cups. [Pictures to follow]. Found removing the exhaust system and center standing to be an interesting adventure.

The gaskets came in, valves were laped in and heads rebuilt Monday. I am tired of cleaning and polishing engine parts. Lets hear this bike. Monday afternoon just at MCC shop's closing time I got to hear the bike for the first time. Ran pretty rough, the carbs needed to be sync. Tuesday morning dragged the bike off the stand but it on its centerstand and started it up. The bike sounded sweet. It was a little bit touchy syncing the carbs but a half hour later the bike was running smoothly.

Loaded the bike back onto the stand to change the liquids and started working on the brakes. Why did they use allen head wrenches on the calipers? Broke two allen socket wrenches and busted a few knuckes. I heard a bike is really not yours until you donate it some blood. Looks like the oil filter is missing a washer and a spring. That parts lists just keeps getting a little bit longer each day. Drained the water from the cooling system and refilled it with radiator flush.

The traveling tools salesman stopped by today and replaced the broken ones. He did not have the studremover we order two weeks ago. Well, tried starting the bike to circulate the radiator flush and no go. The starter spun but did not engage. Time to drop the exhaust system again. Where is that studremover? Looks like you can remove the starter without removing the engine. Only if you remove an exhaust stud. Tim a riding buddy, stopped by for a tire repair and ended up running home for a four inch pipe wrench. Who needs a studremover when you can use a four inch pipe wrench? Guess what it also works good on seized allenhead bolts on calipers after you bust a few more knockles and donate some more blood. Rebuilt the front calipers, I will tackle the rear brake and master cyclinders next week. Looks like the starter is either going to need to be replaced or sent to Bird Island to be rebuilt.

When restoring a bike is it better to replace or rebuld a starter?[/img]
It does not matter what you ride. Just get out and ride. They were made for riding. Chrome only looks good when it is moving down the highway.
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Sounds like you're knee deep into it. Good!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Mr.Dull
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Mr.Dull »

Dr. D,

Thanks for taking the time to write that down and share. I feel part your pain. Great info. Good luck, Judd
Judd, 77 & 94 GL
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

When you find time to post pictures there are several tutorials in the Pit Stop forum. Looking forward to seeing them.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Sandy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sandy »

mmmmmmm Sulfer Yellow.
Mine still on the bench.
Sandy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76_gl1000_project
KurtF
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by KurtF »

Horror stories told with humor! As I shop around for a GW, I'll keep your experiences in mind ...
Kurt

A naked Goldwing in my future?
starket

Post by starket »

KurtF wrote:Horror stories told with humor! As I shop around for a GW, I'll keep your experiences in mind ...
Don't let the horror stories scare you. There are 2 ways to buy an old wing. A running one or a restoration project. I have done both. The running one you can ride right away. The restoration project will take some time. Either way have patience and fun. You will also curse the previous owner for what they did. That is just what happens when you buy a 30 year old bike.
Steve Tarket
1975 GL1000 Restoration
1976 GL1000 LTD
1976 GL1000 - Jigsaw +
Proud Member of the NGW Cartel
Sandy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sandy »

starket wrote:
KurtF wrote: You will also curse the previous owner for what they did.
And when you are the previous owner, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Sometimes "what was I thinking" happens.
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

The only one I bought almost running was my LTD. It actually was the put in gas and a battery and start right up type.
The other ones have required the usual stuff. I still don't have my red one running but the yellow one is up to the ready to run and still could use a front end rebuild.
It seems to be quite a big jump in price around here for a runner and they need everything the dead one does usually.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
Dr. Dave
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Dr. Dave »

Here is the first attempt to adding photos.
More to follow if this is a success.
It does not matter what you ride. Just get out and ride. They were made for riding. Chrome only looks good when it is moving down the highway.
Dr. Dave
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Dr. Dave »

OK, now I have this photo attachment somewhat under control. Yeap that puddle of liquid is the GL1000 informing the mechanic and me it needs a new headgasket.

Yeah, I am going to need a new badge for the right side.

Well, the radio works

Once I have the bike running then it will be time to strip and get naked.

What is a good alternative seat until I find an orignal seat and grab rail?
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Broke two allen socket wrenches and busted a few knuckes. I heard a bike is really not yours until you donate it some blood.
Build
Bleed
Ride

What year are those rims?
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Dr. Dave
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Dr. Dave »

I do not know yet. They came with the winning bid. It almost looks like one of the previous owners was trying to make it a Sulfur LTD. Your guess would be more informed than mine. The HD mechanic that reground the valves and seats likes them so I will ride them until I find new rims. Once I get the starter back from Bird Island.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

sunnbobb wrote:

What year are those rims?
Look like lesters.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Dr. Dave
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Dr. Dave »

OK, what are "lesters"?