Another 1100 raised from the dead

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

confish86
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album169/

Post by confish86 »

I think what your doing is great :-D The bike is coming along nicely , but what you are doing with your grandson is FANTASTIC. I wish i had someone like you when i was a kid to show me the ropes. Besides my 2nd cousin , i`m the only one that dared to open a hood of a car & work on it . If it wasn`t for my cousin (many years ago) giving me a ride on his 1970 CB750 (new back then) who knows where i`d be with motorcycles. Can`t wait to see the finished product , which i`m sure will be a steller looker.
IBA # 47424 (yahoo)
76 GL1000 (Naked)
78 GL1000 (dead title , but got a 79 frame for it)
2012 Kawasaki Concours (LD bike)

Ban low performance bikes....NOT high performance riders!
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Making some progress. Got all the brakes installed and bled. I think the brake system is one of the most time consuming and expensive sub-systems on the bike to restore completely. Also worked with the painter after he got himself a buffer and learned some polishing techniques. I believe that we got the paint job as good as its ever going to get. Orange-peel is gone at any rate. We've started modifying the exhaust system to install some Ebay procured Road King mufflers on the beast. That is still a work in progress and won't be able to finish it until the bike comes off the lift.

Got the '82 swing arm, cleaned it up, sanded and painted it. Reassembled the rear drive chain and the tire rubbing the swing arm is gone.

The one major road block that we are aware of is we have to replace the neutral switch. Found that the diode wasn't the problem with the neutral light working 180 out from normal. Traced it back to the switch itself by measuring resistance through the switch with the diode out of the circuit and sure enough it measures nearly no resistance to ground in any gear and about 10 ohms when in neutral. Exactly the opposite of my '82. I'm glad I have that bike as a comparison. Some things would have been much harder without it as a reference.

Once the neutral switch is replaced it will be time to top off all the fluids and see if we can fire her up. We are sooooooooo close.

Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

That is just gonna look great. The white side walls seem to really go well with the blue color of the bike. And the black rear crash bars fit in there good too. Looks great.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

That is stunning! WAY TO GO!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
TomE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/TomE/

Post by TomE »

OK, now I want one! :-D
TomE
Big Red, a '75 Wing
Black Beauty, a '99 Valkyrie
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

You ARE putting a set of case guards on before turning it over to the Grandson aren't you??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

She looks beautiful action1 action1 action1

"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

Yep, I've got some case guards. I even feel a little nervous riding a bike without case guards, been known to dismount the bike without putting the kick stand down :oops:
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Stunning job you two have done, Sagebrush.

Those whitewalls are like icing on the cake.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Sagebrush, are the hard bag mounts painted or powder coated ... they look awesome as does the entire bike ... nice job and well done to you and your Grandson. 8)
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

Neil, they are powder coated. Picture of them and other stuff that was powder coated in the first page of this thread.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Young_wing
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by Young_wing »

That just might be the best bike I've ever seen :-D
The only easy day was yesterday.
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Young_Wing wrote:That just might be the best bike I've ever seen
I don't think you are going to be very objective about this... :lol:
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

Just about finished, got the exhaust manifolds back from being ceramic coated today and proceeded to mount them and the Road King mufflers that we had mocked up to the headers before we sent them to be coated.

After mounting the exhausts we fired the bike up for the first time, was running a little ragged. We used the Whiskerfish method of squirting water on the exhaust manifold and quickly discovered that #4 was cold. After swapping the plug connectors with some that fit the plugs better and swapping out #4 plug it began running fine. Needs a carb synch but otherwise its running great :-D. Man we both love the sound of the exhaust with these mufflers!

Bikes not registered yet so just began riding it in the sub-division to test it out. Everything checked out fine except the clutch needed a final adjustment and of course had to get the mirror posts set right.

Only issues that need to be addressed are the Ebay engine guards that I got were bent even though the chrome was in gorgeous shape. The right one was bent enough it interfered with mounting the manifold. Looks like I'll take the rusty guards that came on the bike and see how much it will cost to get them powder coated to match the rears. The tach is sluggish but I'm going to give it some time to see if it starts to respond more quickly. After all the last time this bike ran was in '96 according to the inspection sticker. The other issue is the rear suspension low pressure light is on all the time. Since we replaced the air shocks with regular spring loaded shocks there is no air pressure switch. I grounded the wire that would have gone to that switch but the light stays on. Must be a problem somewhere else in that circuit. I'll see if I can track down the wire from the control module that lights that lamp and see if I can disconnect it easily. Better than removing the tach to remove the light bulb.

Well anyway here are a couple of pictures of what will be very close to the final product.

Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Roady

Post by Roady »

Wow, Dean, that's absolutely sparkle-ishious.

That tach should come around in a few hundred miles. Did you lube it up already?

No need to remove the tach to get to that bulb. But you must have tiny hands to get in there.
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

Congratulations Dean! You've done it again. I can't wait to see it in person. You and your grandson should be very proud of you creation. I'm sure that the the bike has never looked so good.

.............Paul
I prefer to ride my wing naked,thank you
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50