Another 1100 raised from the dead

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Man, i like those rotors too!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Made some progress and ran into some roadblocks over the weekend and today. Got the rear drive and brake calipers mounted and found that the '81 swingarm is in fact too narrow for an '82 16 inch rim with a 150 tire mounted on it. Everything lined up good but the tire rubs quite heavily against the swing arm even though I had previously ground as much metal as I dared in order for the tire to clear. Oh well, if it was easy everyone would be doing these restorations.

Found I needed a stainless steel retainer to complete the assembly of the left front caliper, either I lost one or it wasn't there to begin with. Of course it's discontinued from Honda but Dave at CyclePsycho filled the gap. Great guy, I hope I need something from him that he'll actually let me pay for sometime soon.

Mounted the spot lights that I got from EBay. They aren't wired up yet but the switch, relay and the lamps themselves are all on the bike.

Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

I'd like to see that boy wear eye protection. :shock:

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Mike-C »

Good Evening Folks;
Ditto from me, safey glasses !!! I learned the hard way, thankfully no permanent damage, but a very uncomfortable trip to the ER and a few uncomfortable days afterwards. Ever tried to drive with one eye bandaged? Spooky !!
Mike
'84 Wing-Lite
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I'm truly jealous! I'm still in the disassembly and clean-up stage on mine. I'm curious though, about the wheel/swingarm issue as I'm planning on installing 82 wheels, brakes, calipers on my 81. The stock size tire for 82 is 140, and you went with 150, am i reading that right? I don't want to get into my project as far as you and have issues, especially since I've got the 82 swing arm also, just didn't think I'd have to swap it!

Thanks,
Todd
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
confish86
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album169/

Post by confish86 »

RAT wrote:I'd like to see that boy wear eye protection. :shock:

Gord
+10 on that one , as he needs them for the rest of his life. So what are you going to do about the rear tire clearance ?? You think sycocycle might have what you need.
IBA # 47424 (yahoo)
76 GL1000 (Naked)
78 GL1000 (dead title , but got a 79 frame for it)
2012 Kawasaki Concours (LD bike)

Ban low performance bikes....NOT high performance riders!
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

confish86 wrote:
RAT wrote:I'd like to see that boy wear eye protection. :shock:

Gord
+10 on that one , as he needs them for the rest of his life. So what are you going to do about the rear tire clearance ?? You think sycocycle might have what you need.
Bad picture to post Dean ;) When he joins the Navy he will learn about PPE very fast :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Hey give the kid a break, at least he is squintn"
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

Well, you've heard the saying two steps forward one step back. Its been the backward step lately. Received the 82 swingarm I won on EBay complete with propelor shaft today. Started cleaning that up. While waiting for the swingarm shipped via parcel post from California went ahead and removed the 81 swingarm from the bike and everything that had been attached to it.

We have made some progress lately though. Verified the fuel pump is functional. Also got my brake parts that I was missing that Dave at Cyclpsyco sent me so went ahead and completed the assembly on the front calipers, mounted them, ran the SS brake lines and bled them. Have to thank Octane for his excellent tutorial on the master cylinder rebuild. Sure wish I would have read it before I assembled it the first time :oops: .

Started work on the stock seat. Its rather thick and although the cover and seat were in good shape we decided to try our hand at reshaping it to fit my Grandson's physique (vertically challenged) better than the stock configuration.

We removed the stock cover then with a carving knife removed the bulbous edges at the rear of the rider and passenger positions. Then with an angle grinder with an 80 grit wheel began shaping the foam to better fit him. We used my yellow 82 as a test bed.

We lowered the seating position by about an inch by grinding out the foam then narrowed the forward part of the seat so that his legs wouldn't have to spread so wide when he needed to get his feet down. After we shaped the seat to his liking we then shaped the pillion portion using the Corbin touring saddle on my 82 as a guide.

Once we had the seat shaped I figured there wasn't much foam left in the riders seat and was concerned that it would feel like riding on a board after a few miles. To compensate for the foam removal we cut a section of the seat foam out and replaced it with a denser foam we got from a local distributor.

Once the new foam was glued in place we reshaped the new foam to get the shape we decided we needed. Then took the whole works to an upholsterer for a new cover.

Original Seat

Section removed after shaping for replacement with denser foam.

Dense foam glued in to place before reshaping.

Seat reshaped after addition of dense foam.

And after recovering.

Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

Nice job on the seat, Dean. The shape looks good and the cover came out great. How did the dense foam work out? Does it feel like there's enough padding?
Oh yeah, by the way.....someone stole your rear wheel while you working on the seat. It's missing in the last picture.

..........Paul
I prefer to ride my wing naked,thank you
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

o5c50 wrote:Nice job on the seat, Dean. The shape looks good and the cover came out great. How did the dense foam work out? Does it feel like there's enough padding?
We mounted the seat on my 82 to see how it worked out. It feels pretty good but its definitely set up for my 18 year old Grandson's tiny butt. We're going to give it a dynamic test this weekend when I let him take my 82 and go for a little ride, hundred miles or so.
Oh yeah, by the way.....someone stole your rear wheel while you working on the seat. It's missing in the last picture.
Ummm, read the text of the post and not just look at all the pretty pictures :-D
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Mike-C »

Good Evening Folks;
Dean, that sure is a nice looking ride. Job well done. I'll bet not to many young fellows his age have such a nice looking Wing available to them as a first ride.
Regards;
Mike
'84 Wing-Lite
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Nice work Dean, the kid is also getting to know his bike like no other kid will. I saw the guys yakking about the eye protection, don't let him get used to working that grinder without earmuffs. I know about that one. What did you say?

When do you project his baby for a long road trip?

This seat needs to be over in the new seat pics thread! You did all the shaping and design!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

sunnbobb wrote: When do you project his baby for a long road trip?
We have to modify the 82 swing arm to accept the 150 tire and get it painted. Figure by the end of the week or early next week for that. Then reassemble the rear end.

We've started work cleaning up the exhaust and mufflers, they're a mess but serviceable in the short term. This is where my not having any welding experience is going to hurt. I've got a set of Road King mufflers that I want to install but I'm going to have to take the bike somewhere to have that fabbed up.

You might remember that I thought I blew the diode in the neutral switch circuit in an earlier thread, not so. Found the problem to be the neutral switch itself so that's on order. We'll have to get that replaced before we can start it up since it wants to start in gear but not in neutral. Besides I don't want to get the engine ready to go with all the fluids then have to drain it right away to replace the switch. Would rather do that with a dry engine, less messy that way.

Provided no major setbacks along the way a couple of weeks if my painter manages to get his orange peel problem solved. I'm giving myself to the middle of May to complete and ride the bike enough to have some confidence in it before heading out with it on a long ride. In the mean time the Grandson is gaining riding experience using my 82.

I have a CB radio on all my bikes. It sure makes life easier on everyone involved if you can talk to your new rider in real time while on the road. Just moved a headset from one of my old helmets to the Grandson's new one so he won't have to borrow one of ours any more . :-D
sunbobb wrote:Nice work Dean, the kid is also getting to know his bike like no other kid will.
That's true to a certain extent. I've had to reassemble some parts of the bike without him just to keep the project moving. But the other day I told him to take off the rear wheel, final drive and swingarm and he accomplished that without me having to coach him much, so he's catching on. He's come a very long way since we started. In the beginning he didn't know the nomenclature for very basic stuff like bolt, washer, nut and the very first lesson was righty-tighty lefty-loosey. Now I can send him to Lowe's for hardware and have confidence that he'll get the right thing.

His dad lets him drive an old Dakota pickup that's been through hail storms, sat outside in the sun, paints faded right down to bare metal and the clear coat is peeling off by the handful. A couple of weekends ago the Grandson, on his own hook, sanded down the bumper, primed, painted and cleared it. Came out pretty good too. I don't think he would have attempted it before this bike project. Maybe in 10 years he'll be another sunbobb working on his own "Meddle".
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

Mike-C wrote:Dean, that sure is a nice looking ride. Job well done. I'll bet not to many young fellows his age have such a nice looking Wing available to them as a first ride.
Regards;
Yeah, he's pretty excited about it but his mother (my daughter) is not :!:
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread