bobber wiring?

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

jpfrk
Brass Member
Brass Member

bobber wiring?

Post by jpfrk »

I seen the hand drawn bobber wiring for gls some where on the forum,,but the clymers manual shows 3 yellow wires coming from the alt. but the drawing shows 5, 3 yellows a green and a white,,can any one help with the charging system ,,I can get through the rest
1975 wing
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

3 yellows are the 3 phases from the stador, green and white should go to the voltage regulator... green is ground.

-Deek
"Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die."

1975 GL 1000 (First Year) under the knife; soon to be a cafe' inspired "Boss" of a freedom machine.
jpfrk
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by jpfrk »

are ther more than one style of regulator ,I seen on ebay one that looked like an old style coils with a tin can cover ,but mine is a cast aluminun solid state,the problem is the wire colors seem to be different according to clymers? I want to bob this bike I just dont have the charging system clear in my mind yet!
1975 wing
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

I have seen about a million variations of rectifier/voltage regulator bits on various cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc...

As best I can tell from what you describe, it's a rectifier and voltage regulator in one...

What did this part come from? (What bike?)

There are wiring diagrams for all the bikes around here; just do a search.

-Deek
"Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die."

1975 GL 1000 (First Year) under the knife; soon to be a cafe' inspired "Boss" of a freedom machine.