general heads up

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

rocknturtle
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

general heads up

Post by rocknturtle »

I have a 84 1200 can you guys give me any heads up on things I should take special care of from the start. It runs great starts it does have some exhaust noise. are exhaust gaskets a reg problem or do I just need to tighten them up. thanks turtle :-? :-?
2001 v star 1100 84 goldwing interstate 1999 shadow ace "lifes too short not to have fun"
RebelRouser
Webmaster (Retired)
Webmaster (Retired)
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rebelrouser/

Post by RebelRouser »

The Stator Will Give You Headaches... For Some Reason The 1200's Burn Through Them On Average Every Two To Three Years...
If You Didn't Build It, Customize It, And/Or Modify It, Then It Truly Isn't Yours. Rebel Rouser
rocknturtle
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

very lucky

Post by rocknturtle »

the man I bought it off of was a teacher. he took a manual"and it is very worn in these areas" and took the engine out put new stater and new belts.. put it back in and when done had a leak at the rear gasket . He gave up. told me there was no way he was taking it out again. so 1500 dollars later I have a 84 wing with a bunch of new stuff. I can live with the leak......I wore out a good trailer and a cement floor with harleys. It doesn't leak that much. would like to change someday. thanks for the reply. I have 2 mottos...life's to short not to have fun...and if you quit learnin you might as well quit livin.. thanks for the knowledge. I need it. turtle eyes oldies
2001 v star 1100 84 goldwing interstate 1999 shadow ace "lifes too short not to have fun"
BIG T
Gold Member
Gold Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ustom_wing

Post by BIG T »

the exhaust gaskets are NOT reusable...probably your leak...they are still available from our fine sponsors or the honda stealer...T
please donate to keep this site alive.

admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
rocknturtle
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

gaskets

Post by rocknturtle »

thanks big T I was hoping that was it. have'nt got to getting down to check them yet.19 degrees here today and I just laid aroung the house. thanks again turtle sleepy