1981 Goldwing Interstate 1100 Project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

lsendel
Brass Member
Brass Member

1981 Goldwing Interstate 1100 Project

Post by lsendel »

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and posting for the first time.

I have an 81 GL 1100 and have been tearing it down for the last few months and sure can use some help :)

It's a project bike for me to have fun wrenching in the back yard. I am not a mechanic but do enjoy scraping the knuckles on the weekends. I have two other bikes, a 2004 Suzuki Savage for the wife and a 2003 Dyna LR for me.

The bags and everything are all off the bike and at my painter's shop. The engine gaurds, racks, etc. have been off the bike, stripped to bare metal and powder coated yellow. The rest of the bike (bags, fairing, etc)will be painted to match.

As with any project, this one is changing over time. I was originally just going to get the bike started and run it as is...but now I'm thinking of taking it down to the frame. So, I'll pull everything off the frame and have it powder coated the same yellow. I'll post pics on the forum as soon as I am allowed. I need 10 posts first?

My first question is help on pulling the rear wheel. Clymer is a fairly good resource, but can be minimal at critical times. Any help or advice at this time is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance and I look forward to being part of what appears to be a great forum :P
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Howdy Isendel,Welcome and God Bless! You can download tha Honda manual from here,probably do a search on "download manual' to get the link.
Ron
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
confish86
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album169/

Post by confish86 »

The way i get the wheel off my 81 & 82 is to disconnect the shocks so you can lift the rear wheel axle above the mufflers so it will come out . Don`t forget to take the rear caliper off it`s bracket .
IBA # 47424 (yahoo)
76 GL1000 (Naked)
78 GL1000 (dead title , but got a 79 frame for it)
2012 Kawasaki Concours (LD bike)

Ban low performance bikes....NOT high performance riders!
lsendel
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by lsendel »

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the feedback.

I did get the rear wheel off. Disconnect shocks, axle nut. Really wasn't too much of a problem once the rear axle was out with a little pounding...that's all. I thought I might have to disconnect the rear drive in some way.

Next step is to dismantle the remainding rear components; remove shocks, rear brake caliper, rear brake master cylinder. I have the gas tank and fender off. Then I'll head to the front and remove the engine.

Thanks for the help on locating the manual. I'll look for it right away.
lsendel
ElPiloto
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by ElPiloto »

...It's a project bike for me to have fun wrenching in the back yard. I am not a mechanic...
Welcome to our little Goldwing hideaway. If you are wrenching, you are a mechanic. Everyone here was a newbie at one time. The best way to learn is by doing. By doing everything yourself, you will know the job is done right and save a lot of money.

We are all friends here and eager to help. All you have to do is ask

Have fun, building Goldwings is fun. :-D
"Some Cats Got it, Some Cats Ain't"
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Sounds like you're making good progress.

Another manual that has been quite useful to me is the Haynes Owners Workshop Manual, click to download a PDF.

You can get the excellent Foxit PDF reader by clicking here.
lsendel
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by lsendel »

Hey Roady, many thanks for the manual!! :o That will be a great help in addition to the Clymer :-D I'll start posting pics as soon as I am able...

Thanks for the support!
lsendel