'83 GL1100 Where to start?

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

ChefTobz
Brass Member
Brass Member

'83 GL1100 Where to start?

Post by ChefTobz »

Well it's me again, unless you haven't seen me yet, then it's just me. I finally was able to get the bike ('83 GL1100) from my dad's place to my house. Upon further inspection of it, i'm a little concerned that i may have bitten off a little more than i can chew. It's in dire need of paint, and the front aftermarket fairing that my dad put on is coming off, along with the ginormous sissy bar.

Okay down to the problems.... i know that a carb rebuild is going to be a good idea, inspite of the fact that this bike has been my dad's baby for hte last 20+ years. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea for new timing belts too.

However, the brakes are definitely alot worse than i ever remeber them being. And also the oil and neutral light are always on no matter what gear it's in.

My main question is what should i tackle first? It really hasn't sat around for long without being run, and it's driveable, just not very smooth. There isn't any rust, and for the mostpart averything looks good, besides comsmetic things. Any help would be great.

And yes as you are reading this, i am continuing my search for more info., but and opinion from someone would be great, because i can turn a wrench, but i'm not really mechanically savy. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'll get a picture up as soon as i am able/allowed.
Hmmm doughnut......
AZCycle73
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by AZCycle73 »

I don't have a lot of mechanical advice to give you, because I'm in the same boat. But yours sounds to be in pretty good shape overall. Hey, at least yours is RUNNING. :-D I'd ask your dad about the timing belts and when they were last changed. If you're in doubt, do it... $60 and a couple hours is well worth the peace of mind. (I plan on doing mine here soon... as soon asI can pull the rusted spark plugs).

Don't know about the oil light... neutral light... maybe just a bad switch?

I get easily overwhelmed and discouraged when I start thinking about what COULD be wrong with mine. When I feel that way I try to break it down into the small things that need to be done, and it helps.
1976 GL1000 - in progress - 70,000 miles - Originally Sulfur Yellow
ElPiloto
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by ElPiloto »

Take your time and don't get frustrated. Put a radio in your shop. Have fun bringing your 83 back to perfection.

The first thing I do is change everything made of rubber. I would get rid of the fairing. (just my preference)

Don't worry about paint yet. That should be the last thing you do after all the mechanicals.

Oh yeah, click on the Randakk ad above. Look through his tips. The tips are for a GL1000 but are applicable to your 1100. There will be a section for Goldwings that have been sitting for a long time. Even if your bike has not sat for a long time, these tips are good advice for rejuvenating a 30 year old bike.

Get all the manuals you can. The best is the official Honda book and get the Haynes and Clymer manuals.

Put an easy chair in your shop area and a small refridgerator if you have one.

For me, building the bike is nearly as much fun as riding it.

Don't hesitate to ask a question if you get stuck. We are all friends here and every single one of us was a motorcycle newbie at one time in the past.

Oh, and we like photos of progress and especially when you have a problem.
"Some Cats Got it, Some Cats Ain't"
purplegoldwing
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by purplegoldwing »

First put new timing belts on if it has been over two or three years since they were done. Make sure you have a manual before you start.

Then bleed and flush the brakes and get new brake fluid in there and see if the brakes improve.

One thing at a time and you might be surprised how much progress you can make.
Bill
Naked custom 78 GL1000
1984 GL1200 Aspencade
2003 BMW K1200RS (for sale)
1985 GL1200 project: conversion to semi-standard
Pictures at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hubbell

Follow your heart, not the crowd!
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Everyone above has said the important stuff. Read Randakks tech tips first. Before you run it again if Dad does not know "for sure" change the belts before starting her again. Brakes system complete flush to see how they respond. If she is not good then rebuild everything and replace all the rubber lines. 3 caliper rebuild kits and 2 M/C rebuild kits and new hoses ain't cheap but neither is your life.

There is a link in the How too section for manuals free to download.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
ChefTobz
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by ChefTobz »

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to see about the free downloadable manuals, that sounds pretty good to me. I look at the clymer manual, and wasn't that impressed with it, but then again i haven't excatly seen a lot of manuals out there for a bike this old. I know the belts will need to be replaced soon, the brakes worry me more though, so i think i'll start there. Thanks again. All advice is welcome.

P.S. How do you post pictures?
Hmmm doughnut......
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

ChefTobz wrote:P.S. How do you post pictures?
Once you get 10 posts send me a PM and I will set you up with a Photo Album.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
purplegoldwing
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by purplegoldwing »

Just don't underestimate the need for good belts. Sounds like you should not be riding this bike until the brakes are fixed and the belts are replaced.

You can read on here of many folks who neglected the belts and had to pull the heads and replace the valves. I hope you pay attention to what you are being told here. None of us like to read about another broken timing belt due to deferred maintenance.
Bill
Naked custom 78 GL1000
1984 GL1200 Aspencade
2003 BMW K1200RS (for sale)
1985 GL1200 project: conversion to semi-standard
Pictures at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hubbell

Follow your heart, not the crowd!
ChefTobz
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by ChefTobz »

Yeah, i was hoping to be able to ride it, but the more i look at it, the more i realize that it's just not a safe bet. I'll have to see if i can pick up another bike to ride, while i work on this one. Thanks again for the tips. I'll keep you posted with the progress.
Hmmm doughnut......
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

It's funny but the first one I bought is also the only bike I don't have running.
I ended up getting a couple I could get on the road quicker.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
ChefTobz
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by ChefTobz »

Cookie wrote:It's funny but the first one I bought is also the only bike I don't have running.
I ended up getting a couple I could get on the road quicker.

LOL Well it does make me feel alittle better knowing i won't be the only one.
Hmmm doughnut......
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

I keep robbing parts off the first one, today tailight, fender, and license plate mount.
I keep thinkg I may have to buy another to restore that one.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
roachb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by roachb »

At least you know it's history. I would get a manual or two, and start going through the maintenance schedule. See what you find. Brakes are important, put those on your priority list. The timing belts are due. It's just one thing after the other. That's how you eat an elephant.
RoachB
'75 GL 1000
'79 CM400T

"If you're going to repair a motorcycle, an adequate supply of gumption is the first and most important tool."

- Robert M. Pirsig