My 78 GL1000

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

sparkyrasmus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

My 78 GL1000

Post by sparkyrasmus »

After much undoing of parts, I've found what I expected.
So far it's time to:
1) rebuild the master cylinders and calipers on both the front and rear.
2) Replace Clutch Cable
3) Replace Timing belts (done)
4) Remove (done) and drain and clean the fuel tank, repair petcock.
5) Free and or repair clutch (I'll need some help here - anybody got a link or some tech tips?)
6) Redo the Carbs (Thanks Randakk for all the tips!)

I've chosen to remove permanently the Vetter tail, rear carrier and the crash and light bars on the rear. I'm still not sure what to do about the fairing. It needs a lot of cosmetic work, but it is sound otherwise.

How does the bike handle with a bar mount windshield? Is it better, worse of just different than with a frame mount like the vetter?
Goldwings don't accelerate, they gain inertia.

1978 GL1000 - almost stock - needs a head replaced, parts are ready to install!
1979 GL1000 - Winter project/parts bike - custom "Busted"
1983 GL1100 Standard- raised from the dead and back to organ donor status :cry:
And the newest acquisition, 1979 XS 650F to be a sidecar tug. crossy.gif
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yeup that list is about standard for any of these that have sat for any length of time. What is wrong with your clutch??? How long has she sat?? Did it have oils in it??
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
sparkyrasmus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

The clutch problem is ok - now for the front caliper pistons

Post by sparkyrasmus »

I've been busy at work for a few weeks, and now am getting a bit of time to get back at the project. The bike sits all over my garage. Carbs are rebuilt and are awaiting re-installation. Tank is cleaned out and the petcock rebuilt. I've been cleaning today. Lots of rust everywhere, all surface rust, so there's some preparation for a bit of prophylactic painting until I can take the time to strip the whole frame.
Tomorrow's project is setting the carb rack and remounting the (flushed) radiator. THE wiring is still in the future.
I suppose I should take pictures, but I'm not sure I want to remember all the work when I'm riding. Also - I think my honey-do list is growing longer and I don't want to remind her by posting photos!
I may repaint the repaint job done by an amateur garage mechanic (I sure hope pros don't leave oops like this guy did). What original colors were on the '78? Anybody know?

Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

Yup with those honey do lists it hard to get wingtime!
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
sparkyrasmus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Project update

Post by sparkyrasmus »

Found the original color was burnt red/burgundy. Oooh I wish it was still that color. But I settled for a metallic champagne.. I'll put up pictures as soon as I ride(hopefully) it out of the door. I received my last (sic) parts today - new stainless front caliper pistons from Germany. If anybody needs pistons this is THE place. monaco2007@gmx.de

Ray sells great caliper pistons that fit great and arrive quickly - for about 1/3 of Honda's "guaranteed to rust" original equipment. Even my local Honda dealer said not to buy the originals!
Well, it's off to see how everything fits, and if those carbs do what they're supposed to.
I decided not to fire it up until I fixed the braking system - The temptation might be too great and I already have scars from the last time down....
Oops - one more part needed. There is a special o-ring between the two halves of the rear brake caliper. I can't be replaced by a round one, but must be the cylindrical one oem Honda - for 8.85. Ouch - but my local shop promises it by Friday!

sparkyrasmus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Got it Running

Post by sparkyrasmus »

It's been an interesting day.
I thought I was close when I work up for my day off. Filled in the oil and found the wiper - what a great idea!
Filled the tank and primed the carbs.
Found out that I have a breaker-less ignition installed. Dyna.
Replaced the starter system wiring, placing the $18.00 Toro solenoid under the left pod cover.
Found out the ignition switch that I was so excited about was from a 77, not a 78. the 77's have 5 poles, the 78s have six. Lucky for me that the switch sent with the replacement pod and cover that I found in S Carolina (EBay again) came with a key and ignition for a 78. Oh yeah...
Turned the key and all I got was backfires. So... The minds starts bumming...
Did I mistime the valves?
Maybe a valve adjustment was off?
There's great spark - so maybe it's out of time?
Did the previous owner bend a valve?

Actually - None of the above - I took the timing cover off and was about to recheck the timing when I got this brainstorm - maybe I switched the wires from the distributer and they're firing 180 degrees off. So I connected them up to the opposite coils and turned the key. javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Oh - remember I said that I had removed the timing cover, and that I had nice new oil in the engine. Well, when in a state of sheer euphoria- hearing the project of two month come to life, one cranks the throttle and finds that a lot of the oil on the inside of the engine becomes oil you wear and wash off the outside of the engine.
I do not recommend this process.
It ran for about a minute and then quit - totally. javascript:emoticon(':-?')Fuel pump. No pumping. A quick cleaning and re installation, and it ran great, long enough for it to heat up and begin to burn off the dries grasses that had lodged between the exhaust pipes and the aftermarket chrome pipe covers. Just smoke but no fire. javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
I'll post pictures as soon as I get the bike out of the garage (It is really in need of cleaning after today!
GOt to ride it a mile today though - A new front tire is in its future,and then the commute is on!
javascript:emoticon('crossy.gif')

JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

personally i prefer a frame mounted fairing rather than something attached to the bars or the forks. jb
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
sparkyrasmus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Help - Brake bleeding process

Post by sparkyrasmus »

OK - I've bled brakes on every car I've owned, with no problems. But with the Wing - big problems.
We have LOTS of wind out here in SW Minnesota - I've been told that we have the largest wind power farm east of California, along the Buffalo Ridge, which I cross to get to work. Today they made enough power to to feed the whole state I think.
Riding in these side winds gusting to 50 mph must have caused my rear wheel to have quite a bit of strain , causing the disk to rub in the caliper pads, thus heating the new brake fluid and thus the trapped air, causing it to expand, which in turn tightened the rear brake caliper, which caused the fluid to heat up more and - well, you get the picture.
Is there a thread on the site which gives a step by step process for ensuring there is no trapped air in the lines?
I am going to take a large veterinary syringe, attach some surgical tubing, place it on the caliper bleeder and reverse bleed the brakes. If this doesn't work I'm at a loss what to do next.

mooseheadm5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Mos likely the brake is binding because fluid is not returning to the rear master. These things happen with old systems. You may need to rebuild the rear master or replace the hose (common causes.)
It's not what people know that gets them into trouble, but what they know that ain't so. -Variously ascribed

-P

[b][color=blue][url=http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/]Learn to use a Multimeter, Click here![/url][/color][/b]
mrflamewerks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: My 78 GL1000

Post by mrflamewerks »

sparkyrasmus wrote:After much undoing of parts,

(edited)

How does the bike handle with a bar mount windshield? Is it better, worse of just different than with a frame mount like the vetter?
I had a fork mounted windscreen on my '78 and was glad to have it. I used the bike as a daily rider in Seattle last winter.

I also have an '83 Interstate with original Hondaline fairing and bags. I haven't notice any significant difference in the handling between the bikes. The '78 is a little faster, but I doubt that has anything to do with fairing vs windscreen except for weight.
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limits.
> Unknown
He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.
>B. Franklin
78 GL1000 Pending Resurrection
78 GL1000 Naked (gone to pieces)
83 GL1100 Interstate
99 GL1500CF Valkyrie Interstate (Gone to the Darkside)
99 GL1500C Valkyrie Standard (Gone to the Darkside)
sparkyrasmus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

While it's -30 windchill

Post by sparkyrasmus »

I thought I'd post some pictures of the bike as I found it. Then I'll add some others as it progresses through the winter. I do need to get the bike from under the tarps in our barn, through the drifts, into the workshop where I can huddle next to the woodstove.

Don't you love the woodpile? Yes that is a spray can paint job.

puffy75
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ns/puffy75

Post by puffy75 »

The color sounds cool. You will find current paint is better suited to radiation of the sun. I have a Bates handle bar and it seems to handle fine.
May The Fours Be With You.

CB77 1965 First Bike
GL1000 1975 "Puffy" damaged in accident
CB750F2 1978
GL1000 1976 "Puffy Too"
sparkyrasmus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Some new pics

Post by sparkyrasmus »

Today's look. (Someone ought to clean that garage - So embarrassing!)

The Look is a lot cleaner without the extra chrome. Too clean the look a bit more, I had the fairing blinkers painted to match the champagne on the rest of the bike. Seems to have worked out fine.

Tomorrow I'll try to upload a bit the the creative wiring I accomplished to save a couple of bucks on the solenoid.

heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

hey sparky, you're petcock is on...
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
BombsAway
Brass Member
Brass Member

Clutch and Brake bleeding

Post by BombsAway »

On the clutch being stuck.....I've had that problem and freed it by putting in 4th gear engine off and rocking bike back and forth. Plates lock up after years of sitting with no oil on them but I've gotten them loose and ridden a bike a couple years with no problem.

On Bleeding Motorcycle Brakes...........There is a product called a Vacula which is a bottle with a consant vacuum supply with a reservoir attached that runs off your compressor. They are a god send. I've seen cheaper versions on the market recently. I can't post links yet or I'd give you a link.