My 77 project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

She's going along great. I hope those head gaskets seal up for you.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
timma11
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by timma11 »

this is some nice work. i havnt seen that many COMPLETE teardown/rebuilds on here. you sound like you did the same thing i did getting the engine in the frame using straps and a jack. took me two days to figure that out. :oops: keep us posted.
timma11
"studies have found that people with schizophrenia are about twice as likely to smoke pot as those who are unaffected"
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

told you I was watching for your mistakes. lol. Image

look like something you used? Only I hung mine from the ceiling. Thanks for the idea.
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

Well another step to completion with some more pics of the paint process.

And then the assembly of the painted panels. The paint turned out okay or at least as well as can be expected in a garage without proper venting. Got a few more things to do to get it one the road. There are still a few minor wiring issues to sort out. Have to get the starter switch working and install the signal lights when they arrive.

Oh, and I hate the seat. I think a nice sleek low corbin may be in order.
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

That paint job looks absolutely brilliant from here.

Nice, deep shine. Yummy.
mrflamewerks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mrflamewerks »

Looking good. Paint looks great. The color on the lower fork tubes, and the black covers and intake tubes really add to the overall look.
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limits.
> Unknown
He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.
>B. Franklin
78 GL1000 Pending Resurrection
78 GL1000 Naked (gone to pieces)
83 GL1100 Interstate
99 GL1500CF Valkyrie Interstate (Gone to the Darkside)
99 GL1500C Valkyrie Standard (Gone to the Darkside)
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

Thanks everyone. I am very satisfied with. Got the starter switch fixed today and bleed the brakes. The starter was just a wire that had came loos when putting the harness together. Not enough length behind the battery. Messed with it a bit and got some more wire through. Took it for a blast around the block a couple of times. Got to say it is riding smooth, sounds great and shifts real good. The cluth is a bit stiff and hope that it will free up or I will have to fine a way to run the cable straighter.

Just waiting for the signals to come in and then it will be road worthy!!!
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

My 76 has quite a firm clutch, I think they may be a bit heavier than normal. I've heard later ones are easier.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
timma11
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by timma11 »

what are the specifics for the paint? especially the forks. i LOVE the color!
"studies have found that people with schizophrenia are about twice as likely to smoke pot as those who are unaffected"
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

The colour is as said Royal Blue Pearl Metallic. It is from a 1987 ford Tarus that I seen years ago and fell in love with it (colour not the car). I have used the same colour on my Boat and a 1979 firebird that I redid. depending on the light it goes from almost black to a fairly bright blue with purple fade in the shadows. When it came time to select the paint colour, my wife said to stick with it. This one has a little extra metallic and pearl added to the mix.

As far as the application: I used the wire wheel on the forks and chrome bits. Sanded some them as well with 400 and then used reducer to clean. The panels did not require much work, most were straight and clean. feathered out the imperfections with 60 down to 400. Then primed and block sanded with 800 and had a fair bit of hand sanding with the 800 where the block couldn't get to. I hung the pannel and did the insides and then once the paint set up I carefully moved them to the table for the outsides. I prayed with my devilbis clear coat gun around 50 PSI. There are a few flaws (dust and missed or lightly hit spots) but I won't point them out. lol.
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

The exhaust pipes that I have on this.....Does anyone know what is inside of them? I was thinking of cutting them where they start to narrow down at the ends. Not sure where the muffler part start and end. A friend of mine put baffells from a snowmobile in his four into one of his CB and it really sounds nice. It was a tripple so he has two of the left over. It slipped right in and he tacked it with a welder for a real nice looking finish.
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

been a while since I updated this. That was mostly due to being on vacation and doing the state of Maine and province of Nova Scotia on my 82. Wife and friends were along. What a great trip and can't wait for the next one.

I cut off the tips of the exhaust and must say that the sound was much better. Liking to that of a sport bike. I have redone my carbs and had some problem getting them sorted out. I the guides posted Randakk but setting the floats gave me some erattic idle and serging when running, so I went back to setting them level with weight on the spring of the needle. Seems fine now. I think I messed up my Air Cut off with a slight tear around the rubber and no I get some popping through the exhaust.

I will take some Pics and post them to finish off my thread.
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

The finished product.....For now at least. Going to do some riding before I do much else to this bike.

82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Very nice!! When you opened up the exhaust were there baffles to contend with? Did you close off the back of them or just gut them and leave it open?
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

Yes the ends of the baffles were right there. I sounded pretty good as it was but felt I wanted a bit more rummble from it. I drilled six 1/2" holes in the end plate and that pretty much did it. Plugs look a nice tan colour after a good run so I think jetting is still good. I would like to have an clean end peice to go over them to give a better look. Who know, in time I might cut them out completly, it don't appear to be much material inside them. Any one do that?
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project