My 77 project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

My 77 project

Post by Steeveo »

I picked up a couple of these bikes last summer and was going to do a winter project with it, however with the garage full I never got it started until this spring.

Of course the Vetter gear is up for grabs. I want a naked ride.

The engine was low on compression on the right side and had a real flat spot coming off idle. I had the spare engine which died from a belt failure. So I stripped both and took the best of both to make one.

The mess of a blown engine. Any good parts were not in this pile.

Short block back together. When I cleaned up the bench I noticed the windage tray sitting there in the corner. Well as they say practice make perfect. I am getting better at putting the left side pistons in. Actually it is not to bad once you get your head around that you will not break a ring because of the tapered at the bottom of the bore.

Parts cleaned up and frame and other black were hung and sprayed.

Geezzzz never noticed the cat tracks on the wife 92 firebird......If she see them there will be a dead cat in the neighbourhood. We don't have one but my neighbour's comes in the garage if the door is left open.

My hold up is I am waiting for the gasket set to come in so I can finish putting the engine back together and paint to make it look more presentable.

Oh, figured I throw in a pic of my 82 all dressed up and lookin pretty.
Last edited by Steeveo on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:12 am, edited 21 times in total.
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Looks like you got your hands full there.

I see a lot of potential. Would love to have the panniers and mount but Newfoundland is not on my immediate schedule. But who knows? I just got mine running and have been looking forward to a road trip. 8)

We see a lot of frame-up restorations around here.

This is the first inside-out one that I've seen.

Nice work.

Congrats on the pics!
Last edited by Roady on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

thanks I tried to see the edit size button but no go. I'll keep looking.

I would imagine that the shipping would cost a good bit for them, If you decide to make the venture you'll be very happy with riding on the "Rock".
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Roady

Post by Roady »

The resize image? checkbox is on the first page just below the Browse box.

The Rock, eh. Would you take me on a pretty good tour?
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

Roady, I think I got it now. Didn't know it was when you first up load the pics. I was trying to edit the ones that were already posted. For sure I will give you a full tour, just take into consideration the size of our province. there are some great sights but there is a vast distance between many of them. Be prepared to spend about a week to take it all in.

Anyone have any success in sanding a painting the chrome fenders? Or stripping them for that matter. I was reading that Oven cleaner will remove chrome from plastic parts but can see it working all that well. Had to clean my share of ovens over the years and the grills never seemed to loose their chrome.
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I would think you could spend a lifetime trying to sand off all the chrome. I feathered the edges where it was flaked back to good clean metal but left a lot of chrome on. The rest I just roughed up with some 400 and then wiped with a deglossing agent. The paint (rattlecan) has been on there for over a year now and seems to be adhering good.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
WingerDave
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album225/

Post by WingerDave »

I did the same with the rusted chrome air dams on my "81 1100. Roughed it up prime and paint. It's holding up very nicely.

Dave.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

'80-'81 GL 1100 Hybrid Vetter Interstate 90K km
1989 GL1500 58K mls

Previous bikes

1973 Suzuki GT 500
1975 BMW R60/6
1982 Suzuki GS 550
1980 GL1100 (frame went to current bike, rest parted out)
1983 GL1100 Interstate
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

Good to hear. When I get ready to do the panels and tank, I think I will give it a go.
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

Gasket Kit finally arrived and got busy getting the block back together. Once everything was torqued down, I painted the block with some "hammered" effect paint. And then I put the engine into the frame. I read a lot of post on doing this and I suspended the block on three ratchet straps and used a floor jack. I should have taken a pic of this as it real smooth, adjusting the straps through the frame as I worked it onto the engine.

Now it is time to start getting the other parts ready. I sanded the chrome that I want to paint and cut the front fender down to a size I think I like. Then I put a black sandable prime to them to get then preped for paint.

I put some of the parts back on the frame and removed the valve and belt covers to get them ready for finish work too.

82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

Great pics!
Keep them coming.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Very nice!!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
mrflamewerks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mrflamewerks »

Lookin' good. Keep the pictures coming.
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limits.
> Unknown
He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.
>B. Franklin
78 GL1000 Pending Resurrection
78 GL1000 Naked (gone to pieces)
83 GL1100 Interstate
99 GL1500CF Valkyrie Interstate (Gone to the Darkside)
99 GL1500C Valkyrie Standard (Gone to the Darkside)
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

Okay made some head way in the past couple of days. Got enough wiring done to get the engine fired up and put some more parts together. Cleaned up the exhaust pipes and installed them, the rad and rad protector.

It took a long time to pump fuel up into the bowls of the carbs and get them to fill. Is there an easier way other than cranking?

Also the cheap gasket kit I got off Ebay; I've noticed that many of the "O" rings are not he right size and even when they are they are smaller in regards to the material (thinner) and I don't like them. The paper gaskets are fine. Now for the head gaskets.....I have never had this happen when putting new head gaskets on either a rebuild or just replacing heads, be it outboards (most experience) or automotive. the gaskets leaked water when I first started it up and got it to clear it's throat. At first I figured no big deal you get what you pay for at time and then after running about three cycles through the fan kicking in they stopped leaking. I am still going to re-torque the heads as the gaskets are leaking slightly around one of the oil return (lower part of the head). It is slight but makes me think that the torque wrench I used might be off a bit or the gaskets are just crap.

So here are the updated pics.

As you can see it is coming along pretty good. I will be setting the timing up according to haynes manual unless some gives me a better static timing method. Redoing the front forks with some paint on the lowers. And I hear the the upcoming long weekend is calling for rain. So I plan on preping my pannels, fenders, tank covers and then painting....Royal Blue Pearl Metalic. I aksed my friend (jobber) to add some extra pearl in the mix for some good fade/colour change. I hope she turns out okay.
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I am utterly envious of your skill sets. Tear down two engines to make one good one and knows how to paint. Great work! Will be watching this thread with great interest.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

haha, who said I know what I am doing???

We will see when I take it for it's first road trip. Thanks for the confidence vote though. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Besides I just looked through your gallery. awesome!!! is all I can say!!!
Last edited by Steeveo on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project