Pics at last!

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

mooseheadm5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Ahh, Nissin 2-pot sliders. I think I have some in a box. I opted for 4-pot fixed on my wing. Will probably not do that again...
It's not what people know that gets them into trouble, but what they know that ain't so. -Variously ascribed

-P

[b][color=blue][url=http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/]Learn to use a Multimeter, Click here![/url][/color][/b]
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

mooseheadm5 wrote:Ahh, Nissin 2-pot sliders. I think I have some in a box. I opted for 4-pot fixed on my wing. Will probably not do that again...
Still working on this set-up. Full story when (if!) I get it all worked out.

At the moment it looks so far to be relatively simple.

So. Cookery lesson #2.

Take one 79 front end ( I know mine is 76, but with new 79 sliders, new stanchions, s/h 79 front mudguard (fender) it becomes that.

One 76 speedo drive and mix with..

one 79 speedo drive.

One pair of 78-79 caliper brackets

One pair of 75-79 calipers

( alternative ingredients; One pair of 82 GL1100 twin pot calipers, re-furbed as necessary, one 82 GL1100 master cylinder, refurbed. Makes a much tastier dish!)

One 76 Wire wheel, also re-furbed.

The mix still has some lumps in it :-? so will require further stirring. :-D
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
mooseheadm5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mooseheadm5 »

My mix thus far:
1989 FZR forks, triple clamps, axle, clip ons (minus the bars right now.)
77 wire wheel with speedo drive
FZR master
one 89 FZR disc
One FZR caliper
77 distribution block with one blocked port (for now)
machined out speedo drive and spacers
17mm ID bearings with tolerance rings to fit 42mm OD holes
16.5mm of spacer machined from 2 77 rotor centers, one with a centering ring to make up the difference in centering bore
super ghetto holder straps for speedo drive tangs (that thing with the ears normally held to the wheel between the rotor and the chrome ring under the rotor bolt heads.)

later:
GSXR rotors on Comstar wheel (maybe) with 2 FZR calipers

very tasty.
It's not what people know that gets them into trouble, but what they know that ain't so. -Variously ascribed

-P

[b][color=blue][url=http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/]Learn to use a Multimeter, Click here![/url][/color][/b]
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Sounds like an exotic dish, Moose!

My intention with this was partly to find an easy and relatively inexpensive way for anyone who wanted to put wires onto a 78-79 to do so.
Granted it was kind of forced upon me since I bought the sliders unseen which turned out to be the late ones but also it has opened the door to putting some decent brakes on as well, but there is no need to go as far as this if you just want the 'olde' look of the wires.

One problem I have hit, which someone else mentioned. is that I wanted to fit what you guys call superbike bars, something about 3" or 3 1/2" rise and flat, but the GL1100 master cylinder ( and the GL1200 clutch cylinder) have about a 30 degree downward angle to the bar clamp if the reservoir is horizontal.

I know I can use a brake M/C from a CB750F btu dont know what clutch cylinder to go for.

Any help out there?
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
mooseheadm5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Clutch cylinder? You putting a 1200 motor in there, too?
I have the original cable clutch lever perch on mine with superbike bars. The brake master is at an odd angle because the Yamaha clip ons point up, but the spot on the bars that I have is sorta horizontal, so the left side of the master tilts downward. No real problem, though. It works just fine. The brakes are great and can only get better with the second caliper (and also the lever will have a little more give, which will be nice.)
And, yes, the brakes are a nice piece of kit.

-P

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Nope, not a motor swap, just converting the clutch to hydraulic op.

Since I've got the m/c's already I'll probably go with them to see how I get on. Can always do a change later when I had time to do a bit of research.
mooseheadm5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Let us know about the hydraulic clutch upgrade. I would personally prefer having hydraulic op, and have at least 2 master cylinders already.

-P

roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

mooseheadm5 wrote:Let us know about the hydraulic clutch upgrade. I would personally prefer having hydraulic op, and have at least 2 master cylinders already.
http://www.classicwingclub.org/frankspa ... clutch.pdf

Let us know how it works out.
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

roncar wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote:Let us know about the hydraulic clutch upgrade. I would personally prefer having hydraulic op, and have at least 2 master cylinders already.
http://www.classicwingclub.org/frankspa ... clutch.pdf

Let us know how it works out.
Will do. This part of the rebuild is some time away though.
It was Franks page that got me into doing this. I have arthritis in my left hand and this conversion offered a lighter lever action.
One thing that Frank doesn't mention but which was highlighted by Ray (Taurus Rainer) is that the clutch cover from a GL1200 from '84 is the only one that will work on a GL1000.
This cover has an indent in it, I guess to allow room for the hydro line. The later ones are flat right across.

Obviously these are fairly rare being one year only so when one bare one came up I grabbed it; then another complete with lines and slave cylinder came up so I grabbed that as well, along with the master cylinder.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Finally managed to get my son-in-law to download the pics he took of the Wing on the day it arrived.
Looks pretty good, doesn't it! You can see maybe how I was taken in by the lying so-and -so :roll:
Underneath that rather nice exterior was a festering heap of sh....ummm.....junk that has required every single piece of it to have something done to it!

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

She does not look bad at all there. But ya gotta look under the bonnet!!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Just got some in-process shots of my panels from AlleyKat.
Looking real good, although Bill says the photo colour isn't true.
Meeting up with him next week to get the stripes on before they get laquered.

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

I got one of these,

dirt cheap (£9.00/$18.00), didn't hold much hope of it doing anything great at that price but got quite a surprise.

Used hot water and a bit of detergent and admittedly about three shots of three minutes each; pretty good!

Dont have a pic of this but I used it on the fragile float jet filters and they came up like new, along with the jets and emulsion tubes which were crudded up almost solid.
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

Wow, that thing is pretty good. Is that a sonic cleaner?
Bill sure does nice work for an old Alleykat. I can't get my Alleycat to do anything but shake hands for crunchies.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Cookie wrote:Wow, that thing is pretty good. Is that a sonic cleaner?
Bill sure does nice work for an old Alleykat. I can't get my Alleycat to do anything but shake hands for crunchies.
Stupid of me! Yes, a ultrasonic cleaner for doing jewelery etc. It's a bit small and not very powerfull; the larger things like the float bowls have to be turned round in it but I was really amazed how much muck it managed to remove. I think it would benefit from using a proper solvent formulated for sonic cleaners but hey, at that price any result at all is good.

Yeah, Bill's doing a great job ( but I don't think he'll be doing it just for crunchies. :lol: :lol: S'pose I could ask tho' :twisted: )