Pics at last!

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Pics at last!

Post by polkadot »

Old Fogey wrote:
Oldewing wrote:Box her up and ship the both of you over for a long ride action1 action1 action1 action1
That's what I plan to do Greg, but still investigating the shipping possibilities. It's VERY expensive for a return shipping and my nearest port to ship from is about 180 miles away.
Of course, the best option would be one way, for both bike and me! But that is looking very unlikely to do for me , legally at least.
You know, I find the fact that a country, that was in reality started by the English and then further populated by other immigrants, finds it so difficult to find room for one guy and a bike. I mean, I know I need to loose weight but really, I don't take up THAT much space!
I was amazed, travelling around over there, by the miles and miles and miles of emptiness (well, not emptiness as such; there were forests and stuff, not just a big blank sort of greyness!). We stood up on the top of the Smokeys and all you could see was endless acres of virgin forest.
We always get the impression, because of your immigration policy, that you guys are all standing on one another's shoulders due to over population!
That just means lots of places to go/hide! Who would think to look for you in Ohio? Nobody moves here!
Hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes!

1977 Candy Sirus Blue Wing (gone but not forgotten!): Ernie's 77 Resto
1998 Yellow/Creme Valkyrie (sold): Valk Redo
1976 Sulfur Yellow Wing (sold): Melloyellow to live again
1976 LTD #1353 (sold): And away we go . . . . LTD style
1970 CT90 (sold): Had too much time on my hands so . . .
1/4 of 1975 Wing #898 (Sold): Team 898 - raised from the ashes
70ish Benelli Dynamo Scrambler (sold): Erector Set/Treasure Hunt aka Benelli Dynamo
1/6 of 1976 LTD #993 (Sold): LTD 993 . . . and so it begins
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Finally got time today to do some work on the Swan, only because of a speed bump. Yeah, street light out, didn't see it and the car took off like it was heading for the moon. These cars are so low at the front that the crash landing put a small hole in the oil pan, just in time for the busy weekend! crying1

Anyway, FINALLY I have got rid of the misfire, so today was carb synching day!

Click the picture to get the video.

Took it out tonight (had to do it very late at night as the bike is totally illegal, no tax and no test cert.) for about 5 miles. Carbs (or something) still not right ; stumbles a lot coming off idle but I think also I may have a stuck thermostat. It took a long time to get to temp when sitting still to synch the carbs; it didn't get near operating temp during the run so that may account for some of the stumble. as you can see from the video, once she is hot there is no problem
But when it's opened up HOLY COW! ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! It can go!

I think I need to tighten down the steering head a little. She feels very nervous over our lousy road surfaces. Some of that could be all the stuff hanging on the front forks; the big screen, the 1100 instruments, the two horns. Maybe going to move the horns down to the engine mounts a la Sunbobbs mod.

Also got the extra lights wired in. When I was across in 2009, on the way to Randakk's rally I noticed how easily Mark's 1100 stood out amongst the other bikes because he was running with two spot lights as well as the headlight.
I've mounted a pair of 35amp spots on the crash bars and a couple of red LEDs on the rear. The rear are on all the time the lights are on; the front spots can be turned off for daytime running in the city, to ease the load on the alternator.

The raison d'etre for this came from something I read about the railway locos. A single light is very difficult to estimate distance to as you are travelling towards it, but a triangle of lights is much easier for the brain to gather information about.

Last edited by Old Fogey on Sun May 27, 2012 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
dl1000
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by dl1000 »

It burns me that there are so many freeloaders in this country but an honest, decent guy has a hard time getting in! If you can get here look me up, you can hide out here for a while.
1978 GL1000.....KATE Daily ride

a very wise man once said nothing
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Before this gets too far, let's keep politics, religion, immigration etc. out of this website.

And Fogey, can they make a bigger plate??? Holy cow!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Sorry if I started something that isn't allowed, but when you want something so bad that it gnaws away at you every day, it tends to permeate most things I do.

The plate size is regulation, as are the letter size, font and spacing! Everything is regulated to the Nth degree in this country. A lot of bikers here do run smaller plates, but they run the risk of being pulled for it.
When I lived down in England in the late 90s I was running my mate's sign making business, part of which was making plates. We had a biker cop come in for standard plates after he'd been done by another cop!
We would make 'wrong' plates, but we actually had a log for those non-standard plates which the buyers had to sign, saying that they were for show or off road.
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

Old Fogey, I think I found your problem with the bike. Take a look at your sych gauges. You should synch all FOUR carbs. Try it and let us know the difference.
Hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes!

1977 Candy Sirus Blue Wing (gone but not forgotten!): Ernie's 77 Resto
1998 Yellow/Creme Valkyrie (sold): Valk Redo
1976 Sulfur Yellow Wing (sold): Melloyellow to live again
1976 LTD #1353 (sold): And away we go . . . . LTD style
1970 CT90 (sold): Had too much time on my hands so . . .
1/4 of 1975 Wing #898 (Sold): Team 898 - raised from the ashes
70ish Benelli Dynamo Scrambler (sold): Erector Set/Treasure Hunt aka Benelli Dynamo
1/6 of 1976 LTD #993 (Sold): LTD 993 . . . and so it begins
Madkoffe
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Madkoffe »

Love the gauges.
1981 GL1100
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

polkadot wrote:Old Fogey, I think I found your problem with the bike. Take a look at your sych gauges. You should synch all FOUR carbs. Try it and let us know the difference.
Well, I took your advice. :-D
Eventually.
After I found that I had wired up the second fuse box wrongly.
I had got rid of the misfire that had plagued me since I built the bike, but even after doing everything over again I still had an occasional popping in the exhaust. So yesterday I went out to try to find it; battery was as flat as a pancake! This is the new AGM battery that is not supposed to do that! So it seemed that I had a power drain somewhere.
It turned out that I had wired the new Dyna up with a permanent power lead! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Hoping that it hadn't burnt out the Dyna some way, the wiring got sorted the right way, she started up instantly and lo and behold ....no popping! (No, I don't know why :-? but very thankful that the carbs were not the problem. Again).

I also had not checked that the new charging system using the MOSFET reg/rec was actually doing it's job.

Take a look; CLICK THE PIC!