Pics at last!

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Old Fogey wrote:

Thought my little teaser might have raised a eyebrow amongst the more knowledgeable and maybe a question amongst the less knowledgeable.

All will be revealed. Eventually.

Now, I could do with a bit of help here, please.

This is all the rear caliper bits ready for assembly but I am missing one new pin and a new spring. The old pins have been painted and will do the job but the spring, which I have repaired, I am not happy about.

This is the part, number 10 on diagram Honda part #43213-371-006

Can anyone help with a good one?
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Still on the subject of rear brakes, this info might be of use.

I searched long and hard to get the correct shims for this.

The same shim fits both sides, with the single tab bent round the pad to secure it. I managed to get one but after 4 months of searching suddenly realised that, although the rear caliper was different on the 78-79, the pads and pins were the same. Therefore the later shims should fit; which they did

These are handed, and as you can see, are much better located since they clip on tight to the pad.

The downside (there's always a downside :( ) is that they are not very much more available than the old ones!
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
timma11
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by timma11 »

you have a garage(shed) and a house(flat-damn language barrier!) dedicated to restoring?!?!?! that is some good work your doing there! keep us posted! love the pics. makes it much easier to understand for those of us going through the same things.
tim
"studies have found that people with schizophrenia are about twice as likely to smoke pot as those who are unaffected"
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Language. Yeah, funny thing, eh.

can't remember who said it but they got it right; " Britain and America, two countries separated by a common language ! :lol:

Shed; small outhouse for things like gardening tools, kids bikes etc.

Garage; bigger, used for putting the car in, working on car if big enough or in my case building bike up.

House; usually more than one storey though not always ( bungalow )but whole building occupied by one tenant.

Flat; can be anything from two storey, one flat on top of another, to the skyscraper buildings you have. Each occupier has one section of the building.

I live in a small two bedroom upper flat in a two storey building, on my own. So I could use the spare room during the winter to do all the small sub-assembly work in comfort.
All the mucky, heavy, smelly stuff like cleaning, grinding painting etc gets done in the garage next to the flat, which is not used to house the car, approx 22' x 12', just an ordinary wooden one.
mooseheadm5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mooseheadm5 »

So what color are you gonna paint the Comstars? Or is this a 75-77 that you are fitting wire wheels to?
It's not what people know that gets them into trouble, but what they know that ain't so. -Variously ascribed

-P

[b][color=blue][url=http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/]Learn to use a Multimeter, Click here![/url][/color][/b]
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

I've got quite a bit of corrosion on my red bike I'll have to deal with. How did you clean that stuff up, was it blasted?
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
64ed
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by 64ed »

the rubber tape is a good idea, when i use rubber tape, the first couple of wraps are sticky side down, then give a twist and last layer will be sticky side up, good electrical tape, like 3M super 33, installed over the top will stick better and the whole thing will probably last forever.... stretch both types of tape when installing for a better bond and it wont be as thick and it will be stronger.

its 1 am my time. i ramble a little(lot) when im tired
ed s

It is better to beg forgiveness later, than to ask permission now.
75 project
77 project, for the old man
77 daily runner and customizing project
for the 17 yr old son
77 parts and future sidecar?

" If you give a lazy man a job, he will find a lazy way to do it" Will Rogers

Is this good or bad??
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

mooseheadm5 wrote:So what color are you gonna paint the Comstars? Or is this a 75-77 that you are fitting wire wheels to?
Its a 76 so its got wires. But it not just as easy as that!
Check the pic of the modded speedo drive to get a clue!
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Cookie wrote:I've got quite a bit of corrosion on my red bike I'll have to deal with. How did you clean that stuff up, was it blasted?
The frame , which was badly corroded aroung the ends of the centre stand tube, was blasted so I could see what I'd got to deal with. Bust camera at this time so no pics.
Once the welding was done on that, the frame, swing arm, battery box, centre stand were all blasted and powder coated.
Most of the rest was de-rusted with wire brushes in a drill, tedious and time consuming. These bits have been painted with Smooth Hammerite in either black or silver, ( dont know if you have Hammerite over there. I think your equivalent would be POR15 )
Anything real bad, like the rear brake linkage, was binned and replaced.

THE INTERNET REIGNS!

Without it I doubt this rebuild would be possible!
I am not an originality freak so I've use the best parts I could get, from various years and from all over the world, to do this.

Plus it will have mods to make it better ( in my eyes) and safer.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

64ed wrote:the rubber tape is a good idea, when i use rubber tape, the first couple of wraps are sticky side down, then give a twist and last layer will be sticky side up, good electrical tape, like 3M super 33, installed over the top will stick better and the whole thing will probably last forever.... stretch both types of tape when installing for a better bond and it wont be as thick and it will be stronger.
The tape I used doesn't really have a sticky side to it. When it's pressed together it becomes one piece, literally bonding to itself. When I stretched it round the harness connectors it became like a rubber boot.
The brake linkage wrap was deliberately left a little loose as I didn't want to cause any binding.
ts 1 am my time. i ramble a little(lot) when im tired
Guess I must be tired all the time, if thats the answer to rambling :lol:
mooseheadm5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Well, hmm. You have what appears to be a late type speedo drive set up for wire wheels, and you have 79 sliders to put on it. This an adaptation for 79 sliders to run wires?
It's not what people know that gets them into trouble, but what they know that ain't so. -Variously ascribed

-P

[b][color=blue][url=http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/]Learn to use a Multimeter, Click here![/url][/color][/b]
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

mooseheadm5 wrote:Well, hmm. You have what appears to be a late type speedo drive set up for wire wheels, and you have 79 sliders to put on it. This an adaptation for 79 sliders to run wires?
(SHHHHHh!!! it's a secret!)

(in a loud voice) Now! Don't be silly Moose, you know that its not possible to fit wires to a 79! Everyone will tell you that!
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

And............ you don't want these on a '76 now, do you :?:

Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

I have been toying with building some sort of blasting cabinet inspired by Alleykat's device. This is something I will have to deal with by the time I start the red bike. The fact that I don't have much room will make it more complex.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Cookie wrote:I have been toying with building some sort of blasting cabinet inspired by Alleykat's device. This is something I will have to deal with by the time I start the red bike. The fact that I don't have much room will make it more complex.
I think if (big if) I do another one that would be a serious consideration.
I spoke with Alleykat the other day; his booth seems to work fine.