Pics at last!

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

I suspect in the case beer tickets may replace crunchies.....
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

At last, some more progress!

Got the forks rebuilt and fitted along with re-chromed headlamp ears ( not the greatest of jobs but they will do for now). Headlamp and instrument wiring done. Well. almost done in that it has not been tested yet.

Now for the interesting part.

First mock up of the wheel and brakes.
Just a recap. '76 wires, '79 sliders, new stanchions and seals, '76 damper rods and springs, GL1100 refurbed Honda/Nissin two pot brakes, stainless lines and fittings, modded speedo drive using bits of '76 and '79 drives.
edit. forgot. It also requires 79 fender and stay.

I left off the fender stay to give me more room.

when I came to fit it, there was interference with the bottom of the cylinders, so a bit of bending had to be done.

You can see how close it runs still.

The speedo drive cable doesn't fit after bending the stay, it need to be about 2" or 3" longer.
The stay has been filled with clear silicon where it meets the fender since most seem to have rusted through at this point.
Last edited by Old Fogey on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

The more I look at the pics, the more I think that I will grind the cable bracket off and rig something better.

Guess there is going to be loads of questions so here goes;

If you are doing this to a '75-'77 everything will line up. How do I know?

Because I did this first;
If you want to do this to a '78-'79 it will be necessary to have the inside brake mounting pads on the sliders machined down by .125".

Then I found to line everything up I had to use .125 washers!

Best guess as to why. I used '76 triple tree and I think the stanchion spacing on the later bikes is smaller. This is a real guess as I don't have a '79 set to compare. Perhaps someone would like to measure theirs. I make the '76 ones about 9" or pos 9.25"; its a bit difficult to get an exact measurement with everything built up.

Obviously the wheel needs to be turned round.( as does the tyre!).

The speed drive was done before I got the new camera so no inprocess shots, sorry.

When I take it back down( well, you don't think I'm leaving the scabby wheel like that, do you? Or the trials type tyre; the wheel was off a sidecar outfit.) I will try to get some pics that show what was done better.

Basically, the drive flange of the '76 was pressed out of the skew gear and the flange of the 79, with the bent ends of the tangs ground off, was spot welded to it.
Great care needs to be taken to keep eveything concentric.
To keep the grease in I used a couple of square section O rings I had and black siliconed them in place.I think it will work to keep it in! :roll:
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
totaldoughnut
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by totaldoughnut »

Cool. With that caliper setup and Randacks master cylinder that big wing will be pulling up endos on command, sweet.
76 GL1000
timma11
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by timma11 »

loving the pics OF! you are doing some great stuff. i can appreciate all the beer... i mean thinking that goes into this kind of project. keep it up!
tim
"studies have found that people with schizophrenia are about twice as likely to smoke pot as those who are unaffected"
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Cookie »

Looks like that beast is getting ready to growl. I just got back home myself from up north in the land of lumberjacks and hippies (how do they ever get along). I've been waiting all week to work and ride my stuff.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

timma11 wrote:loving the pics OF! you are doing some great stuff. i can appreciate all the beer... i mean thinking that goes into this kind of project. keep it up!
tim
I don't drink Tim, but doing this project just might change my mind on that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cookie wrote: I have one 76 that is done except for a front end rebuild I hope to put off until next winter.
A b it of inspiration for your rebuild, Cookie; especially if you're fitting a sidecar.
totaldoughnut wrote:Cool. With that caliper setup and Randacks master cylinder that big wing will be pulling up endos on command, sweet.
Not sure yet what to do with the M/C. Randakk's one isn't the right size for the twin pot brakes, the refurbed 1100 one really needs handlebars with about a 30 degree drop to keep the reservoir level and I much prefer flatter bars.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Some more thoughts on this.

I have just realised that there could be no need to mess about with the speedo drive!

If you are doing this to a 75-77, since I've found that the machining was unnecessary, the wire wheel can stay the right (76) way round with the speedo drive on the right. That means you could get away with the 76 fender too although I think you would still need the 79 bottom stay with the kink at the ends where it mounts to the slider to give enough clearance.

I was kind of forced into what I did by the lack of good parts over here.

On the 78-79, to fit the wires the machining would still be necessary to move the calipers over but again the 76 wheel could be fitted with the speedo drive on the right. The only other prob I can think of is the cable holder grommet thingy in the fender will be on the wrong side.
I took both assembled fork legs to the local machine shop. It cost me one hours machine time ( the minimum charge, £35/$70).

On both, the cable tidy on the stay would need to be ground off to look right since the cable would be on opposite sides and some other means of holding it devised.
sodbuster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sodbuster »

Ho boy .... That's a nice looking scoot. You're doing a great job man. You should be proud ;) ;)
'06 H-D Road King
'99 Valkyrie Standard - TOTALED :(
'83 GL1100 Standard - SOLD
'82 CB900F - Black & Red - SOLD
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Thanks for that, Sodbuster.
It's taking shape slowly. I'm one who enjoys the journey (and the little side excursions like modding the brakes) as much as the final destination. :lol:
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Cookie »

I'm just visualizing the first time you hit the brake and the front locks with all that power and we see you flying through the air.....

You must be pretty close to having a runner aren't you John?
Enjoy life,
Cookie

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Miles away, Cookie :cry:

Keep running out of funds for one reason or another. Just had to put new windows in the house cos the old ones were falling out!
Plus every time I go to do something to this machine I have to do something else first!.
For instance, took the tyre off the original wheel which looked ok from the outside, to take off rim to clean up everything and respoke, found that the rim was so rotten from the inside it was unusable.
Hence the wheel that you see from a sidecar outfit.
AlleyKat is doing my painting ( making a terrific job of it too). While I was down in England visiting my folks I went over to his place to do the striping, only to find the decal kit I had bought some months previously was a pile of pooh!
So we've ordered up some proper striping tape ( not quite the same as original but then, neither is the bike) and I will probably need to do the 800 mile round trip to get the stripes done.
The miles don't bother me, just the constant 'one step forward, three steps back' the whole time.
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Cookie »

The one step forward one back is pretty common. I've sprung a small leak and my engine is rough at idle now.
Too bad I can't make any progress for a while as I have to go to Arizona tomorrow and I'll only have a couple of days here before I go to New England.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Haven't posted on this for a while, so a quick update.

I've more or less got all the wiring done now apart from actually testing it; each component was checked out before fitting so thet probably means nothing at all will work :roll:

Just got all the seals and bits for the calipers and master cylinders from Crescent Moon so that is the job for this weekend if I can find the time.
(Thanks Susan, for doing this in the middle of all your upheaval tumb2 ).

Been down to Alleykat's place to get the striping done ( just under 800 miles round trip in atrocious weather).
Well worth it though as I'm always made to feel very welcome.
The panels have now to be lacquered up which Bill was hoping to get done the end of this week.

Bill's currently working on a CB750 chopper which is going to look very different! Wish I'd taken some pics of the work in progress.

So. Some progress at last.
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Cookie »

Tell Bill to forget the 750 so we can see his progress on his wing.
Glad to see you are getting close mate. I'm up to four out of five bikes running (LTD needs a battery) and today I'll plod along at final wiring on my M5 Chang, if things go well she gets test ridden tomorrow.
Just a little progress each day slowly gets things in order.
Enjoy life,
Cookie