Bigger Project Than I Expected!

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

lookmanohands
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Bigger Project Than I Expected!

Post by lookmanohands »

I bought a 78 GL1000 3 years ago for $500. I figured it was a good deal. The guy was upgrading to a Vstar. It ran decent for a while, and I put 20,000 miles on it til it started acting up bad last year. I figured it was a good time to do a top end rebuild and carb rebuild, and then I got the custom bug. This winter I tore it down and decided to do a little custom work after talking to a few of the guys here and away I went. There was a lot wrong with this bike. All but three of the float bowl screws were stripped out, I had to use 8-32 screws to get it to seal. I broke a rocker assembly bolt, luckily, that one came out easy. I had a stripped timing roller bolt, that was fun. Blown head gasket. Leaky fuel bowls. Backfiring caused by the air cutoff installed wrong (I hope). The wrong ballast for my coils, and a hack job on the wiring by the battery box, and another broken stud on the exhaust which I had to send to a machine shop and heli-coil it.
I did a lot of repainting it turned out pretty good for a rattle can! Anyway, it cost a lot more than I expected, so I didn't get to make it as clean as I would of liked right now. It is still in progress but I'm hoping to fire it up on Sunday and get it out on the road soon. The rest will come when I have more money :cry:

Here are some pics. I will let you guys be the judge. I'd like to hear some feedback or ideas of what else I could do, or do different.
these are the pistons after I cleaned them
dirty dirty carbs
my exhaust look horrible, so I decided to wrap them
didn't change the front but this is my pinstriping and flat black paint
still got a bit of work ahead of me. that shiny thing is the modified crankcase breather
kind of a gaping hole with out the battery box isn't it?
this is what it looked like after I decided to paint it a year ago

nother old photo
I did some customizing on the rear. '27 ford taillight, and '49 chevy taillights. still need to wire them
repainted the covers, not bad for rattle can hightemp paint.
temporarily put the covers on to see how it would look. not bad. the seat is from a cb400. I think I might modify it and put that one on. the old one was a king/queen seat (hideously huge, and weighed 50lbs).

I'll keep updating my progress (got a ways to go still) til I start riding it again for the year. Then I'll be too busy having fun, til next winter
;)
life goes by too fast so make sure you're bike is faster

1978 gl1000
axxtion
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by axxtion »

A buddy of mine gave me an 84 GL1200 for free with a blown stator two years ago. i've been debating what to do with it. The thing is loaded including a trailer hitch. Not my cup of tea, i want something a little more streamlined. I figured it my be better to start from the ground up. I bought a 1200 motor on ebay for $150 and on another auction, I bought a frame for $50. I'm just gonna do a little at a time. As long as your having fun with your ride, your on the good side.
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

That's coming together nice.

You've got the right idea ... keep it running for the summer and fix it in the winter.

And, don't forget to keep the rubber side down.
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

looking good. I like the black accents on the timing belt and valve covers. well done pin striping, too. it takes time... I've had mine over two years and it's just now coming together, but I ride it every day.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
detdrbuzzard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by detdrbuzzard »

axxtion wrote:A buddy of mine gave me an 84 GL1200 for free with a blown stator two years ago. i've been debating what to do with it. The thing is loaded including a trailer hitch. Not my cup of tea, i want something a little more streamlined. I figured it my be better to start from the ground up. I bought a 1200 motor on ebay for $150 and on another auction, I bought a frame for $50. I'm just gonna do a little at a time. As long as your having fun with your ride, your on the good side.
you should have just done a "poor boy alternater conversion, its much cheaper than replacing the stator and more power too. i was wondering if a poor boy conversion would work on a 1000/ 1100. i have to say that your 1000 is comming along nicely, what are your pland for the pipes :?:
'75cb750, '79cb750 super K, '79cb750f,
'99 ST1100,'93gl1500se, '70 ct70H, '05sunL70
'06 ST1300a
... william
lookmanohands
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by lookmanohands »

the pipes are aftermarket turndowns that came on the bike when I bought it. I like the wrap look with the black high temp paint, and it was a lot cheaper than getting new exhaust (by about 350 to 450 dollars).

1978 gl1000
Roady

Post by Roady »

detdrbuzzard: what's a "poor boy alternator conversion"... ?

And, LookMa: Pipes don't cost nuthin'. Just hang around the dumpster at the Hardly-Abelson shop and they appear magically, for free!
lookmanohands
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by lookmanohands »

never thought of that roady. hafta remember that one ;)

1978 gl1000
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Roady wrote:detdrbuzzard: what's a "poor boy alternator conversion"... ?
Look here http://home.comcast.net/~rkekeis/Altern ... rnator.htm

It is designed for the 1200 but some have adapted it to their 1000's.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
vagrant50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vagrant50 »

My rule of thumb is that I only pay up to 500 for a bike. I usually get them in need of lots of restoration work. I start out by stripping them down and customizing them to fit what I want to ride. My 87 cost me 150 to own. I figured up the pricing for the parts I need and will spend about 700 on parts. I strip them right down to a pile of parts and polish, paint or powdercoat everything like new. They look like they came of the dealer lot when I'm done.

Brent
I can build anything you can afford!
http://community.webshots.com/user/vagrant50
lookmanohands
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by lookmanohands »

this is my first time doing this big of a build on any bike, the most I've done prior was replacing the clutch, brakes, ect. The minor stuff. I still think I got a pretty good deal.

I got her Started! . . . . and then I noticed she was spewing coolant.
Note to self: next time put the o-rings for the cooling tubes on the tubes first, not in the the spot where they slide in first.

Got the wiring for the taillights done, now the bags are my running lights and turn signals (they look cool). Had a bit of trouble, till I checked my ground, then they worked great!

don't know about the seat yet, it looks better than the old one, especially with the trunk now off, but the fit still kinda sucks. maybe I'll sell myself on the street corner, and by a new corbin :lol:

carbs are back on. I must, most definately, thank randakk for that great kit, and that video. would have had a lot harder time than if I just used the Clymer! much thanks to Frenchy too, for the gaskets and timing belts. If anyone ever thinks to get it cheaper than crescent moon, good luck. they saved me $12 over the guys that looked to have the cheaper price (til shipping came into play).

And thanks to everone here for helping answer all my questions (even the stupid ones). I'm sure I'll have more in the next few days. Those how to posts have been great!

1978 gl1000
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

It's great watching your progress!

Please keep us posted!
eliotsajerkface
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by eliotsajerkface »

man, i actually like that seat. where can i get one?
1981 GL1100
http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album247/
lookmanohands
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by lookmanohands »

which seat the old one or the one I am going to modify to fit?

1978 gl1000
eliotsajerkface
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by eliotsajerkface »

the king and queen
1981 GL1100
http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album247/